Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the stock skids on the teryx? Can someone snap a pic for us?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Plastic everywhere but under the motor and gas tank. They've got great big rock snaggin holes all in them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, it's not as if the holes in the skid are for access to the oil filter, etc <rolls eyes>

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like to be able to wash the mud out too..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, it's not as if the holes in the skid are for access to the oil filter, etc <rolls eyes>
Wow, I didn't know there were 15 oil filters on it. You'll probably be allright riding on your 9 acres of land. Oh wait, you don't even own one.

I like to be able to wash the mud out too..
Looked underneath this morning, Took a hard lick underneath the drivers left foot. It pushed the bottom of the fender back a half inch. Cracked the plastic. I know why they are there but do they have to be that big. Thats a lot of surface area unsupported under there. On a 4 wheeler the plate is probably 8-10 in wide with the frame on either side. You can avoid taking a hard lick on a 4 wheeler. I have already found out sometimes you can't in a sidexside. I ride a lot of creek trails with sharp pointed rocks, its gonna happen. Maybe the plastic will bend before it breaks. It feels brittle though. I'll take some pics in the morning and post em for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Such hostility, Nuclearjunky?

What you didn't understand about my post is I was saying the holes could have been useful if you could get to the oil filter through one which you can't. I was agreeing with you, to a degree. I also agree with Rutcutter that they help disperse the mud.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Such hostility, Nuclearjunky?

What you didn't understand about my post is I was saying the holes could have been useful if you could get to the oil filter through one which you can't. I was agreeing with you, to a degree. I also agree with Rutcutter that they help disperse the mud.
Sorry blackhawk, I just saw the rolls eyes comment and took it the wrong way. I spend a lot of time on the pirate forums. If you've been there you will understand. I mean no disrespect to anyone on any board I visit and I expect the same. No harm done. Anyways heres some pics,

this is the floorboard where your feet would be

The fold you see is the outer roll pan where it pushed back

Another shot under your feet

This is steel all the way across under the seats and motor

another one where the plastic pushed back

Every section under your feet is plastic an every section under the seats is steel. I wish I could get better pics but I haven't mounted the winch yet. I think the large hole in the middle is for the oil filter. I will look closer tomorrow. Hope these pics help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No harm, no foul, buddy. :)

Yeah, that was the only thing I wasn't too sure about with the Teryx was access to the engine area. I'm not as bothered about the carbs, no storage under the hood, etc. If there's a way of getting in there without having to strip all the plastics inbetween the pilots, that would be good!

Good "real" pics. All I got for now is this brochure.... :)

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
Someone needs to make some rock sliders like the RZR has or like the Rock Crawler guys make.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I stripped mine down to the engine in about 30 min to run the winch wiring. Its not too bad. Made me a little tool to pry out the rivets out of a gasket scraper.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Where did you mount the isolator? Post some pics if ya can..

Yea thats all it needs is some rock sliders,my buddy had to outfit his rzr with them.. You think the teryx is bad take a look at one of those rzr's tehy drag on everything and there is abounch of plastic on them. We was worried that sticks was going to come threw the floorboards of his. flemsey polaris

·
Registered
54 Posts
I actually didn't wind up using that winch. Its a 2500 i had on my 4 wheeler. Going to the dealer today for a 4000. These things are heavy!! I got pics of it stripped down I can put up. I'll load them up to Fototime when I get home. I was going to put the isolator on the panel below the drivers seat between the cdi box and the removable cowl. The only place i saw to run the main wires to the winch runs pretty close the the header. Gonna build a little heat shield and wire tie it up away as far as I can. It'll be a simple install, much easier than a 4wheeler. If I get some time I'll mount the 4000 this weekend and post some more pics.

·
Registered
54 Posts
something went wrong when I uploaded them, I lost some pics but here's what I got

hope to have some more by monday

·
Registered
100 Posts
So getting to the oil fitler is through that opening at the front, in next to the pipe? Still looks like a pain to do, stripped. I'm no technician. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think it'll be to bad of a job. I'll change my oil next week. I should hit 20 hours today on my ride. I'll take some detailed pics and post them up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, looking at page 31 and 32 in the Periodic Maintenance section of the manual, the Kwak recommended method to drop the oil and change the filter is to come in from underneath. They refer to a "bottom guard" piece that is secured by five bolts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The manual is incorrect. you can drop the small plate to access the oil plug. You have to drop the entire steel skid pan to access the filter. You might be able to snake your hand down from the top and reach it but I didn't want oil all over everything so I just dropped the pan. Its not that hard. When I took out the drivers side bolts about a pint of water drained out of the frame. Not good. The e brake cable was also pinned between the cross support bar and the skid plate. It was in one of the open holes and could have been hit. I tie wrapped it up out of the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts