Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the new white t4 eps 2013 model. Not even through the first tank of gas it starts to cut off. I had in a few mud holes that were not even upon to the bottom of machine. It idles great and drives good up to 15 mph. But if you press past half throttle it chokes down and shuts off. I checked air filter and its clean off showroom floor. What could I check without having to haul it back to a dealer. Where's the fuel filter n this thing...?. Any help will be great. Before the shutting off problem it's a blast to drive !!,

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you a recommendation of what to check (not sure myself) but if I were you I'd bring it back to the dealer right away and let them diagnose and fix it so if there are any real problems it can be documented.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Silly question. But is your parking break on? Their is a safety that retards the engine if it isn't completely down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Were you by chance if 4wd with diff locked? It has a speed limiter in 4wd diff lock and also in reverse. I don't remember if they were set for 16mph or 18mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the 4x4 switch and the parking brake when it first started. It isn't busting up like it does when the parking brake is up a notch. When I go past half throttle it starves the motor to shut off immediately.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
You really should take techgeek's advice and haul it to the dealer for the record, but.......it sounds like a fuel/fuel pump issue. Fuel filter is on the end of the fuel pump in the tank. Real easy to check but before you remove pump I would remove fuel line from fuel pump, and blow low pressure compressed air thru nipple, hook fuel line up and take it for a spin. If it does better than you know you have an obstruction in the pump housing which is simple to remove and clean. If you have not done fuel tank vent mod you need to. Simple, inexpensive mod. There is a thread on here the walks you thru mod. Good luck!:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Check the fuel filter on the bottom of the fuel pump. $13.00 part will fix your problem. You need to clean your tank and rerun the vent line to the tank. This has fixed every teryx4 that I know of except one. It had a fowled plug.

Danny

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Not trying to start an argument but since he has not even run one tank of gas thru it I doubt the main filter is clogged. It will more than likely be the small screen filter in the housing. Some have poked a hole in the screen and that has fixed them up but I personally didn't do that when I had this problem because I was concerned that doing so would allow sediment to run thru the pump causing it to eventually fail. I just pulled pump assembly, disassembled housing and cleaned really well with fresh gas and low pressure air. Really simple to do.

Regardless of what you do don't procrastinate on doing vent mod to keep dirt out of the tank. I did and this is what happened. Had about a 1/2" of dirt in the fuel tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I'd have the plugs checked. Mine did something similar my first time out after I bought it. I took it back to the dealer and the plugs were fouled. Conclusion was it was from starting them up numerous times at the dealer and not letting them get up to operating temp before shutting them back off...that is hell on plugs.

Did you notice any smoke? Whenever mine would cut out, it would lay a thick cloud of blue smoke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuel filter issue

Got T4 back from dealer. New filter on in tank pump. Made it 4.4 miles on ride and it shuts off again. Pulled tank and filter myself last night and its got a light dust film in bottom. They replaced the filter and called it good. Never did they think to look in the tank. Anyhow. I'm putting the over sized mod on the bottom of pump now. Just wondering what it would hurt or has anyone taken bottom off fuel pump and put an inline filter up above tank.??
Also I'm re routing the vent line with the pre filter on it.

Thanks for the idea GoodTimes and Jealousy

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Got T4 back from dealer. New filter on in tank pump. Made it 4.4 miles on ride and it shuts off again. Pulled tank and filter myself last night and its got a light dust film in bottom. They replaced the filter and called it good. Never did they think to look in the tank. Anyhow. I'm putting the over sized mod on the bottom of pump now. Just wondering what it would hurt or has anyone taken bottom off fuel pump and put an inline filter up above tank.??
Also I'm re routing the vent line with the pre filter on it.

Thanks for the idea GoodTimes and Jealousy
Glad it worked out for you! If you clean tank out good and install filter on vent you should be solid. I just pulled my pump the other day to inspect things and no dirt since mod:thumbup: what is the oversized mod?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lookup a FS152 fuel screen. It's bigger than the factory installed screen that came stock. I don't remember who posted it first but I saw it on here around 2 weeks ago. Anyhow it fits and now I've run about 8 more hrs since with no problems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts