Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to remove the clutch to change the belt on my 2016 Kawasaki teryx 800, what bolts do I need?

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
299 Posts
So I'm trying to remove the clutch to change the belt on my 2016 Kawasaki teryx 800, what bolts do I need?
Do you mean the spreader bolts to loosen the belt? They should be M8 x 1.25. Or are you talking about the nuts on the clutches themselves? The secondary requires a 27mm socket and is standard thread. The Primary is a 22mm socket and is reverse thread.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
299 Posts
Here is a procedure I wrote out for my 2019... as far as I know it should be the exact same on your 2016.

• Remove passenger seat cushion and then remove seat base (10mm).
  • Remove all push pin rivets to allow removal of 4 plastic panels (outside, front, and tank top under passenger seat and then center console)
  • - Remove face plate of dash (rocker switches, etc) to allow center console to clear the clutch cover. Then pull off gas cap to remove side piece and remove piece on front of seat. Also remove plastic piece laying on top of gas tank.
  • Remove 2 10mm bolts on gas tank straps and set aside.
  • Pull plugs/wires from fuel pump, pull vent line and remove fuel line using small screwdriver to slide red clip up.
  • Remove cross bar along back of fuel tank; 2 (14mm) bolts on roll cage, 1 bolt near center console (17mm socket & wrench), and 2 (12mm) bolts on floor.
  • Remove gas tank and set aside.
  • Remove bolts on clutch cover (8mm) and pull cover, being careful not to damage rubber gasket.
  • Install spreader bolts (M8 x 1.25) on secondary clutch to loosen belt, tightening each a little at a time.
  • Remove secondary clutch washer using 27mm socket, STANDARD THREAD. Note orientation of 2 washers.
  • Remove primary clutch washer using 22mm socket, REVERSE THREAD. Note orientation of 2 washers.
  • Slide both clutches off together with belt.
  • Clean any belt debris or dust from clutches and inside of housing.
  • Install belt over the two clutches outside of machine and then reassemble as one unit. NOTE: Belt is to be installed with words facing you and arrow pointing towards front of machine.
  • Reinstall 2 washers on each clutch and respective nuts – 68 ft/lb
  • Remove spreader bolts alternating a little at a time.
  • Turn clutches counterclockwise a few times to tighten up.
  • Reinstall Clutch cover.
  • Reinstall Gas Tank, fuel line, vent line and fuel pump wires.
  • Reinstall Cross bar.
  • Reinstall all plastic pieces using rivets and install dash plate.
  • Reinstall seat frame.

Reactions: wilynick

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,444 Posts
I just did this on my 2016. Took me less than two hours and most of that was looking for the right bolt to compress the clutch. After you have done it a couple of times, it's pretty easy. It just sounds like a lot.

HunterTim, you don't have to pull the center console or touch the dash. I don't know why they include that in the instructions. I've done mine 3 times now and I've never touched either.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
299 Posts
HunterTim, you don't have to pull the center console or touch the dash. I don't know why they include that in the instructions. I've done mine 3 times now and I've never touched either.
I'll change that because you're right about the center console, it doesn't need to be moved at all to get the clutch cover off, just the pop rivets that go through it to hold the tank plastic cover on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts