Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on a 2019 Teryx LE that has bent the frame back to the point of moving upper and lower towards the firewall 3 1/2”. I have found another frame from a 2014. Does anyone know if the 2014 frame will fall in place of the 2019? BTW, there’s only 201mi/54hr on the buggy.

·
Administrator
4,012 Posts
They should be identical, if not very close. Kawi hasn’t made any major changes to the frame since 2014 (Teryx2) and 2012 for the Teryx4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a choice to weather insurance totals it or I have to quote swapping everything over to another frame. How many hours would this even call for? Thank you for your reply.

·
Administrator
4,012 Posts
Wow, that’s hard to say. Might be a good idea to call around to a few kawasaki service depts and ask if they have any idea. For a DIY mechanic like me, probably 80 hrs. I’m prone to breaking stuff and have mastered the art of having to do things more than once.

·
Registered
2018 teryx 4 le
58 Posts
It’s a choice to weather insurance totals it or I have to quote swapping everything over to another frame. How many hours would this even call for? Thank you for your reply.
To swap everything over??? 2 days work!!!! Its a motor 2 boxs everything else plastic

·
Registered
2018 teryx 4 le
58 Posts
So did you bend the frame? Or you purchased damaged? Mind giving us sum insight on how if it was caused by you??

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,201 Posts
If the frame is bent, I don't see how they don't total it. More importantly, I hope everyone was OK! to move the uppers arms over 3 inches had to be a heck of an impact! My guess is, its a parts bike now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So did you bend the frame? Or you purchased damaged? Mind giving us sum insight on how if it was caused by you??
To be completely honest, the Teryx is not mine. I took on the job to fix it because when I first looked at it I “thought” I could just port-a-power and comalong it back......it’s just metal......it “should” move right........Kawasaki built a good machine! It didn’t move like I thought. The owner of the buggy let someone else drive it on there lease.....see where this is going.....! The driver was crossing a concrete bridge at night about 30-35mph and didn’t know there was a 8-10” gap in the middle. The driver side tires fell down in the gap and the machine grinded down the crack on the lower a arm. I think the damage came from when the bridge ended and the tires hit the dirt at the end and jumped out of the crack. All that force basically jammed the tire back to the firewall. It hit hard enough to push the passenger side a arms forward because the rack and pinion mount and the lower crossmember for the diff. shifted to the left. It’s sad, it a brand new machine.

·
Registered
2018 teryx 4 le
58 Posts
To be completely honest, the Teryx is not mine. I took on the job to fix it because when I first looked at it I “thought” I could just port-a-power and comalong it back......it’s just metal......it “should” move right........Kawasaki built a good machine! It didn’t move like I thought. The owner of the buggy let someone else drive it on there lease.....see where this is going.....! The driver was crossing a concrete bridge at night about 30-35mph and didn’t know there was a 8-10” gap in the middle. The driver side tires fell down in the gap and the machine grinded down the crack on the lower a arm. I think the damage came from when the bridge ended and the tires hit the dirt at the end and jumped out of the crack. All that force basically jammed the tire back to the firewall. It hit hard enough to push the passenger side a arms forward because the rack and pinion mount and the lower crossmember for the diff. shifted to the left. It’s sad, it a brand new machine.
Wow...definitely sounds like hard hit!!! Sucks that its new too

·
Registered
292 Posts
So you're giving the guy a quote to swap over used frame and not go through insurance then the owner is gonna decide whether to make an insurance claim and likely write it off or have an approved shop repair it? It likely needs more than just a frame.
I'd let insurance deal with it, if they write it off buy back the salvage then repair it/frame swap. If you just swap the frame out right now how does that work, the guy now owns a 2014 instead of a 2019?Do you just grind off the old vin and restamp your own, or do you need to get an assigned vin number?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it was insured. If this was my machine it would not be a question. I would just let the insurance handle the claim and get a new machine. Sounds more like there was no insurance and the guy who damaged it is trying to get it repaired without having to buy a new machine.

If it is insured then let the insurance handle the claim and walk away. If the owner wants to buy it back and repair
then price a frame and give him a quote.
The machine and the frame have a VIN number. They need to match or have records that match (ie salvage title) stating this.

This sounds like a cluster that someone would be better off avoiding if possible.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
If it was insured. If this was my machine it would not be a question. I would just let the insurance handle the claim and get a new machine. Sounds more like there was no insurance and the guy who damaged it is trying to get it repaired without having to buy a new machine.

If it is insured then let the insurance handle the claim and walk away. If the owner wants to buy it back and repair
then price a frame and give him a quote.
The machine and the frame have a VIN number. They need to match or have records that match (ie salvage title) stating this.

This sounds like a cluster that someone would be better off avoiding if possible.

I second, or third that...let the insurance deal with it. There may be more wrong than just a bent frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The owner might want to explore whether the driver has some sort of insurance to cover the damage as well. Just a thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts