Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this but have been getting a lot of info from these forums and now im stumped on what to do so, I decided to join.

I have a 2008 750 Teryx with what I'm pretty sure has a bad head gasket. I have been running it for a year now with no temperature gauge and have just installed the TTO digital gauge with the inline sensor. I installed the sensor below the thermostat in the hot line returning to the radiator. I drained all the coolant out of the system and added new and (i think) bled the system completely of air.

I started the motor and waited for it to warm up so the thermostat would open and noticed some material in the top of the radiator. It was a black thin piece of material (just like a piece of a trash bag).

As the coolant gets hotter it begins to rise and tries to push out of the radiator (with the cap off). Once the fan comes on (about 205) the coolant begins to reside and looks like it is flowing normally through the radiator. It cools right off to ~190.

I haven't seen any signs of water loss or oil rise on the dip stick. or any smoke coming out of the exhaust. I do notice when i rev up the motor when it is warm (water flowing) bubbles push out when the rad cap is off.

Is this a sign that a gasket is bad and it will only get worse? Or should i go run the teryx and see how hot it runs and if it stays cool just ignore it for now till i get some money to repair it? I don't want to have a shop tear it apart if not needed.

I have also thought about that liquid gasket sealer stuff. Maybe its worth a try or will it will just screw up the motor even more.

Any thought on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
Dont put any sealer crap in it, raise the front end and go thru the bleeding process again. There are a few good write up's on here about getting the air out, as for the black bag looking thing forget about it, bleed and run it keep an eye on the temp if the head gaskets were bad I don't think there would be any doubt.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm with shady, if it was a head gasket you would know it. There would either be coolant in the oil or exhaust smoke. Just bleed the coolant again and keep an eye on the temp for a little while.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
When you say you revved it up and more air bubbles come out that's a sure sign there is more air in the system. Be sure to post back and let us know how your ride goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or is it a sign that exhaust is getting in the cooling system? I thought maybe those black floaters might be part of a gasket? Idk I've never drove it with a temp gauge but always noticed the fan kicking on every once in a while so I figured it wasn't ever getting hot. Ill just have to try it.

I tried bleeding the air out numerous times by jacking the front end up and opening the bleeder but maybe it takes quite a while for all the air to get out. Or maybe I need to totally flush the coolant out and start over?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If it was head gaskets one of three things would be happening. 1- losing coolant. 2- white smoke from burning coolant. 3- cooling system would be pressuring up and puking out the overflow. If none of these are happening the head gaskets are fine, plus head gaskets aren't a big issue on a stock motor unless the heads have been removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I think I didn't have the front end high enough when I was trying to bleed it. I don't see bubbles now and it dosnt heat up as fast. The real test will to go run it and I can't cause I'm in town and our cops are **** heads. Ill let u guys know this weekend.

Thanks for the help. I was losing sleep on how much more money I'd have to invest in this stupid thing and its used a lot on the farm. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to let you guys know, I been driving the teryx and seems to run fine with no heating issues. I just didn't have the front end up high enough to get all the air out of the system. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That's good to hear.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There ya go run it hard!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm having the same problem right now wondering If the gasket is gone or did I just not bleed the system right.
How high Should the front end be up? Are we talking about ramps or winching up a tree?

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
I'm having the same problem right now wondering If the gasket is gone or did I just not bleed the system right.
How high Should the front end be up? Are we talking about ramps or winching up a tree?
You can just use a jack to get the front end up. It's really just overkill. Make sure to bleed it next to the thermostat. There is an 8mm bolt there that you loosen up (don't fully remove) and it lets air escape. Once you see a little coolant come out then tighten it back up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My 08 overheated on a ride so I did the 2010 cooling system upgrade. The black thrash bad looking stuff is paint from where the factory paint the hard coolant lines its the overspray that gets inside the tubes. After I did the upgrade and put a DASA impeller I havent overheated since I have a temp gauge aswell the hottest ive seen on a hard ride is 195. The upgrade is well worth the money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts