Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Discussion starter · #25 ·
Teryx is still at MFS (Motorsports Fabrication Services). They are doing incredible work.

Aluminum dash is coming along nicely. Radio and GPS will go in next.

Oh shit bar will have a 17mm socket on the end so we can use it as a lug wrench.

Steering is all mounted up with Unisteer Power Steering. Just waiting on longer tie rods for the +4" Funco long travel.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
A few more updates.....Down to the wire on this.

Picked up the 1/2" UHMW skid from Factory UTV. Their skids have countersunk mounting holes so the bolt heads are protected. Also grabbed some 3/8" UHMW to make the boat side skids.

Dan over at Motorsport Fabrication Services has done an incredible job with the aluminum work. Jeff should finish up with the wiring today.

Wrap is being done by Palmer Signs in Roseville. Should be all done on Monday. Monster Energy Kawasaki Racing signed up as a sponsor. Roof is going to look like this:

Nice video! How did you do? How was the KOTH's?

Discussion starter · #35 · (Edited)
you made easy work of that hill!! how did you place??

G-
We started 6th and were right behind Guthrie (1st) at mile 12. Then at mile 17 we lost a coolant fitting. Took a while to work through that then we were off again.

Then at mile 37.5, we lost our fuel pickup line. That took even longer to diagnose and fix. We worked through everything and did finish the race in 8th. Unfortunately, we had some new car teething issues that kept us off the podium.

My goal for this car was to build something that could race in King of the Hammers, desert racing, a little short course with VORRA (not LOORRS, more of a desert focus on a short course at Prairie City SVRA) and also be able to take it to the dunes, Moab and the Rubicon.

From what I have seen, most race cars don't make good play cars. For one they are too specifically built to be versitile.

Well other than a few teething issues that we worked through at KOH, the car did incredibly well and could have easily been a contender if we ran a smooth race.

On Monday, I had a chance to run out to Sand Mountain in Nevada to see how it would do and work on some fine tuning. For those of you that have never been there, Sand Mountain has a very long steep hill that is tough for UTVs to climb. A stock Rhino can't make it to the top. A stock Teryx can't unless conditions are ideal and you have paddles and/or a few performance goodies. A stock RZR S can make it to the top with Boghorns.

I decided to leave the DFR Crippler beadlocks and 26.5" Pit Bull Rocker XORs on the car. If you ride in the dunes much, you know that the weight of the tire/wheel is crucial. The setup I have is built for durability and performance in the rocks. Tires are 8 ply and the 14" wheels have super beefy reinforcing rings. The combo is NOT light.

I was happy to see that the Teryx in full race dress was able to make it to the top, no problem. Very cool. Check one for power. And with some paddles I think it will do much better.

Then we played around in the dunes to see how it felt. The only complaint I have is rear visibility (radiator). With the lower sides, the car is harder to get into than a stock UTV, but easier than many other race cars. But I still feel safe in it. Good compromise. The Unisteer power steering is super nice. I didn't really notice it while driving because it is subtle. But when I hopped in my RZR for a spin I noticed that the steering felt heavy. Pretty cool. The Teryx also feels like it is nimble in the dunes. Felt good doing a few jumps, and g-outs weren't an issue. I did add a iTi swaybar in the rear (non for KOH), and that really helped the body roll. I will add the iTi front sway bar for the VORRA short course race and I am sure it will handle the hairpin turns real flat. I will probably switch to a 25.5" Pit Bull for the race.

The VORRA race is March 20-21 in Sacramento. Pretty fun course and the event is real relaxed. If your are nearby, consider racing or coming out to spectate.

More pictures:
UTV Guide - Sand Mountain February 2010

car looks awesome, sorry about the issues at KOH. There is always next year, we need someone to take the RZR guys down a notch:rofl2:

I'm guess I am triing to read between the lines, is this something that may go into production to compete with the DFR Nessie?

Nice! Not bad for the 1st race with a brand new car! I know how heavy those wheels and tires are.. i almost threw out my back changing them on brians car during his 1st race!! (didn't really throw out the back.. but they have to be at least 45 lbs worth of tire and wheel).

Car came out awesome! I like it!

i love how this machine looks, I really like how the rocker frame's where set higher. Great job on this machine.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.