Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a complete precut kit from DEI Powersports to reduce heat and noise. The majority of the panels are 10 mil aluminum with a glass fiber insulation, and they are self-adhesive. They install inside the metal shielding that surrounds the powertrain. Other items include a replacement insulated cover to replace the rubber one above the engine. Line sleeving to cover the coolant lines inside the console in the driver's side, and a under bed heat shield to keep the bed cool.

14-’22 Kawasaki Teryx SXS ‒ Heat Shield Kit – DEI Powersports

Instructions and pictures.
60103100.pdf (designengineering.com)

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
860 Posts
Looks great and so do the other two posts about the same thing.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
155 Posts
The thought that prevented me from trying to insulate any heat out of the cab is trapping all that heat in the bike... Will it significantly affect the motor or belt? The heat not escaping needs to go (or stay) somewhere, and insulating the plastics will not do anything to divert it out of the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is a complete precut kit from DEI Powersports to reduce heat and noise. The majority of the panels are 10 mil aluminum with a glass fiber insulation, and they are self-adhesive. They install inside the metal shielding that surrounds the powertrain. Other items include a replacement insulated cover to replace the rubber one above the engine. Line sleeving to cover the coolant lines inside the console in the driver's side, and a under bed heat shield to keep the bed cool.
Glad to see DEI Powersports finally got the kit off the drawing board. I like the areas you pointed out especially where you say "They install inside the metal shielding that surrounds the powertrain". Any chance you took photos before and after the install in this area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to see DEI Powersports finally got the kit off the drawing board. I like the areas you pointed out especially where you say "They install inside the metal shielding that surrounds the powertrain". Any chance you took photos before and after the install in this area?
Hello, If you click on the instructions link in the original post there are quite a few images of the pieces installed on the panels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thought that prevented me from trying to insulate any heat out of the cab is trapping all that heat in the bike... Will it significantly affect the motor or belt? The heat not escaping needs to go (or stay) somewhere, and insulating the plastics will not do anything to divert it out of the bike.
The kit will reduce heat radiating into the interior of the vehicle, giving a more comfortable ride. The Teryx basically has a big tunnel through the center where air flows from the front and out the back of the vehicle. By insulating the hot side of those metal shields that form that tunnel we are reducing the heat that is radiating into the interior. The kit is not restricting airflow in any way.
On another topic I see people using Butyl Rubber sheets to insulate their SXSs. That type of product may reduce a small amount of heat but it is really intended to be a sound dampening material. The DEI Teryx kit is using a few different materials mainly an insulation that is Fiberglass Insulation with a Dimpled Aluminum Reflective Face.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!My 2019 Teryx 800 is miserabley hot and noisy! Used DEI on a relative's CanAm. Worked great. The printed instructions were not that good. They did a great job illustrating this,though. Going to try this new kit. Know it will take alot of time and cussing. Kawasaki made these so hard to work on . Glad I saw the posting on the forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2018 Teryx 4 and the most time and cussing came from getting the metal tunnel out. While you are in there find the spark plugs for future change out needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Teryx 4 and the most time and cussing came from getting the metal tunnel out. While you are in there find the spark plugs for future change out needs.
Thanks for the tip! Dealer mechanic told me that the valves need regular adjusting due to unleaded gas causing the seats to wear! Can't believe it. Also, if you lose a belt in the boonies, your walking out! The stuff you got to take off is crazy! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed the kit, rode about 85 miles last week in 80-86 degree temps. only noticeable difference is at driver's leg where coolant tubes are now wrapped. same blast furnace coming from under seats, was a LOT of work for little difference

·
Registered
2019, Teryx, CAMO, 2 seater
4 Posts
Installed the kit, rode about 85 miles last week in 80-86 degree temps. only noticeable difference is at driver's leg where coolant tubes are now wrapped. same blast furnace coming from under seats, was a LOT of work for little difference
Did you notice a difference in the noise levels, I am more interested in reducing the noise coming into the cab than the heat (reduction in both is good though).?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, still loud as hell at trail speeds, guess it's the nature of sitting next to the powertrain.
I just did a big project, I took an old pickup truck bed rubber mat and cut it up to make barriers to fit around the engine. I did one under the drivers seat, both sides of the tunnel, over the tunnel in front of the shifter, behind the tunnel in the T area, bottom of the driver seat area, foam under the drivers seat, Roxul insulation and metal backed denim insulation mat stuffed everywhere under the tunnel cover possible. That helped a lot but then I could hear sound coming in from the back from under the rear bed (I have a T2) so I am fitting foam to seal that area off.
It helps a lot with sound, especially at idle to mid throttle, but full throttle still is loud. It does cut the heat but sound was more my goal. It is still a loud machine but much more bearable. It will be harder to get to the oil dipstick so I may need to rethink that cover but I will see. I also took some old pieced of foam flooring that locks together and cut it to fit like a floor mat for passenger and driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you take pictures of you install?
Unfortunately no, I took before pictures and meant to take after pictures (but before the covers were put back on) but I got in time crunch and put it together quickly and forgot the pictures. If I open the covers up again I will take pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts