Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hester Motorsport's posted a YouTube video of the new Teryx S explaining the differences and comparing it directly to a regular Teryx. The title of the video is "NEW 2021 Kawasaki Teryx 2/4 LE "S" model, comparison, walk around....". He has not actually driven the machine yet to verify how it rides and handles, but has a thorough walk around explaining the differences. Here are a few details he verified:

- Front a-arms are 2" longer on each side, rear a-arms are 1" longer on each side.
- States that if you put the same size wheels/offset on the front and rear you would need a 1" spacer on the rear to make the width equal.
  • Both front and rear a-arms are offset. The front tires are moved further forward, and the rear tires are further rearward. He did not give exact measurements for the front and rear but said 3" total increase in wheelbase, and stated it should allow running 30's. Has a visual using his foot to show the increase in room between the tire and frame down tube between the machines.
  • Front shocks are obviously longer, but also a larger body
  • Upper rear shock mounts is move rearward (not in the original video, but is in the comments section)
  • Just slightly more ground clearance on the S model, but talks about how a lift kit could be used and have less affect on the ride quality (mainly because you will have more down travel)
  • Emphasizes the the "S" model is only a $500 cost increase and would a "no brainer" when buying a new one in most situations.
  • States that the "S" model has a lot of potential for suspension upgrades. I think some of that is based on the assumption you would see the same level of ride improvement when installing aftermarket shocks as you do on the regular model.....if you could bolt on some shocks and get 12"-14" travel and run 30's with no other mods that would be awesome.

From seeing close up pictures here are some of my comments:
  • The front lower a-arms have a slight upward curve so a little bit of "high clearance" but nowhere close to the amount of curve/angle and "high clearance" that the SuperATV or Highlifter arms have.
  • The rear lower a-arms are completely straight and look just like a slightly longer version of the old rear arms....definitely no "high clearance" on them.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
139 Posts
States that the "S" model has a lot of potential for suspension upgrades. I think some of that is based on the assumption you would see the same level of ride improvement when installing aftermarket shocks as you do on the regular model.....if you could bolt on some shocks and get 12"-14" travel and run 30's with no other mods that would be awesome.
Well he needs to say that because suspension upgrades on "Hester Edition" Teryx's are his bread and butter, lol. I'm just messing around, he actually puts together some really cool builds with long travel suspension and nice upgrades.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I'm glad to see my buddies in R&D haven't given up on improving the Teryx! There was talk for a long time about producing a "short" long travel. Sounds to me like a machine with great potential as a very capable trail machine for an added $500.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I spoke with the gentleman at Hester’s and he said they have a way to virtually eliminate the cabin heat as well as reroute the intake to help with the noise. I’m going to call him tomorrow to discuss if he sells the kits

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he needs to say that because suspension upgrades on "Hester Edition" Teryx's are his bread and butter, lol. I'm just messing around, he actually puts together some really cool builds with long travel suspension and nice upgrades.
Yeah, I agree. If the new S model actually has a really good ride and uses all of the potential travel available before the axles and tierods bind up then there is no market for upgraded shocks on these!

Part of me is glad that these are the only upgrades on the new S model because I don't have any desire to trade mine in on one....already have front and rear arms, Bandit shocks, and wheelspacers so on paper not that much different. Now if they would have bumped up the power significantly that would be a different story.......

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
139 Posts
Yeah, I agree. If the new S model actually has a really good ride and uses all of the potential travel available before the axles and tierods bind up then there is no market for upgraded shocks on these!
yeah, he mentions in his review that the front shocks on the S are significantly bigger than the regular ones but he hasn't been able to test drive one yet to see of they did any better on the factory valving. He can't test drive that one because they are selling it on the floor, so that remains to be seen I guess. I'm sure it will be a much better ride just due to the longer down travel, so the body of the machine isn't wanting to dive in to the bottom of every hole in the trail.
The bandits are on my list now too, but I'll have to sell one of my quads to make it happen. Do you have the Stage 2's or the reservoir ones on your machine?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, he mentions in his review that the front shocks on the S are significantly bigger than the regular ones but he hasn't been able to test drive one yet to see of they did any better on the factory valving. He can't test drive that one because they are selling it on the floor, so that remains to be seen I guess. I'm sure it will be a much better ride just due to the longer down travel, so the body of the machine isn't wanting to dive in to the bottom of every hole in the trail.
The bandits are on my list now too, but I'll have to sell one of my quads to make it happen. Do you have the Stage 2's or the reservoir ones on your machine?
I've had my Bandits for almost 2 years now. At that time they were called the "Performance 2.0" series. They are non-reservoir like the current Bandit Stage 2 on the website, but they have a true dual rate rear spring (two separate springs) versus the single linear rate spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts