Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....wanted to post a little info I got from my dad a few minutes ago.

So my dad met a few guys that live down the street that own a modded rhino, and a new Teryx. So a couple weekends ago they were all messing around and racing a bit. The rhino apparently has an 800cc BBK, and the Terxy is stock. My dad has an 06' 660 rhino with a roost tube, jetted, wet clutch springs, machined sheave, and 27" Pirelli Mudweisers.

So the 800 walks both my dad and the terxy. My dad takes the Teryx on the holeshot and keeps a 2-3 bike length lead til the Teryx hits the limter and then its over.

So a little while ago, the guy comes over to my dad's house. He is wanting to play around a bit......so my dad mentions that he should remove the exhaust tip and try racing him again since he would gain a little power. So my dad takes off in LOW by accident! He annihilates the Teryx out of the hole....but hits the limiter at 41mph, and the Teryx goes blowing by him! They race again, but this time in high......and my dad again gets him about 1-2 bikes out of the hole and walks away slowly.

So then this guy decides.....lets try BOTH of us racing in LOW RANGE!! So my dad does it.....and keep in mind, this is all on asphalt in 4X4!!

Well, my dad took off and the Teryx never got going! Dad came back and there was a lot of oil leaking out, and the guy said he could see a hole in the case...I dont know if he meant the engine or transmission! Apparently he took off and heard a loud bang and it died.....now wont turn over!

this happening to anyone else? Or is he just abusing it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pics would be nice. These machines are made to run hard so I wouldn't say that he was abusing it just by racing it on the road. Running hard in the mud is harder on them than racing on a hard surface, IMO. Let us know more details when you find out more on what actually happened.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yea shoot us some pics,we wanna see..

·
Registered
385 Posts
If the unit was not all the way in low and you hit the gas hard and it jumped into low you would break the case. I will bet this is what the dealer will say to and is not going to be cover under warranty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I talked to my dad more today. He says the owner told him it launched and the then he heard a loud bang noise, and it died. My dad said he saw oil leaking out underneath the middle area of the engine....but oil could run all over the frame under the engine! The owner apparently told my dad when he looked under it he could see a hole in the case.....didnt say transmission or engine. My dad never looked for the hole, so we dont know for sure. I am sure he is taking it in tomorrow and I should know something next weekend or maybe the following cause these guys only come down on the weekends.

I will update as soon as I know for sure.

frank

·
Registered
813 Posts
Something had to be wrong with it for a 06' 660 rhino with a roost tube outrun it,I bet it was running one 1 cylinder.. :crackup:

I wished I lived closer to your dad,he would be like :yikes: that thing is fast ..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something had to be wrong with it for a 06' 660 rhino with a roost tube outrun it,I bet it was running one 1 cylinder.. :crackup:

I wished I lived closer to your dad,he would be like :yikes: that thing is fast ..

He also has a homemade exhaust tip and clutch work as I mentioned. It runs very well for a 660! He keeps thinking hes going to smoke me with teh rotax 800.......I will be closing his mouth before the end of the month!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yea just think what you would do to him with a 840 BBK in a teryx..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea just think what you would do to him with a 840 BBK in a teryx..

I would like to run against one of those when my rhino is finished....just for shits and giggles!

My dad said the owner of the Teryx called today. He didnt say what th dealer found, he said they just told him they were replacing the engine/transmission and it would be a few weeks. Now of course he wasnt going to complain about the few weeks because they are covering it no questions asked! At least Kawi's warranty is proving to be good so far!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts