Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After looking at getting another talon (but a 4 seater) and considering a Polaris Generals, we finally decided to save the money and go with a Teryx. They seem like solid machines and check all the must have boxes so we figured we'd give it a shot. After spending two weekends with it we figured it was what we needed and went ahead and put some more time and money in it to really make it ours.

This is what I've done so far:

Went with 30x10x14 Sedona Rock-a-Billy tires. Decided on these cause they aren't the heaviest, their load rating is at super low tire pressure (8psi) so I figure they are meant to run low which is what I like to do, they have a good bead protector lip and I've had really solid luck with them on the rocky trails of the Ozarks area.

For wheels I used Sedona Sano's in black, 14x7 with a 5+2 backspacing (+38mm). Choose these because again, solid company, relatively light weight super strong wheel, plain simple design, and their "s" logo an the center cap just happens to look nice on and S model teryx LOL. Went an inch smaller than stock for the biggest sidewall possible. (correction, stocks are 14" on the LE as well, I thought they were 15s)

I bought 1" wheel spacers but decided against them... the track with in the back is about 3" narrower than the front, but when you look down the body the tires appear to stick out about the same distance and look good. Since I'm not a big fan of spacers anyway I just decided to not use them.

I then cut down the bumper and bought another pair of tube caps from kawasaki to fill the tubes since there were now 4 open ends. I couldn't find a bumper I liked, and the stock one I though was ugly. So I just tried this and really like it. Purely cosmetic, nothing else lol.

I also trimmed up the decals and only left the bright green "teryx" on the side, and "kawasaki" on the bed. And I sprayed the front green fenders with plstidip and then covered that in automotive enable spray paint.

The wife wanted a more blacked out look and I think this came out pretty good.

It came with the winch but I completely rewired it and shortened of the supplies, basically just made it look professional, and remounted using a kfi winch plate.

Also added reverse light, rear floods, front Pods, front light bar, rock lights, dome lights, speakers and a radio, windshield, rear view mirror and some of those velcro on cup holders.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I weighed the new wheels and tires:

just the wheels

Just the tires

Mounted and aired up

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also removed the front driver spring and reinstalled the shock so I could cycle it to the bump stop by hand and really see if they rub and where. When the wheels are straight or turned out they do not rub at all through the entire suspension. When they are turned inward they rub about halfway up through the travel. oddly not on that little nub that sticks out at the bottom of the wheel well, but actually just right in the middle of the wheel well on the smooth surface. if the metal liners were gone it probably be fine. When someone finally makes front arms I'll probably do it, but honestly it robably won't be an issue anyway.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for the dash board I did 4 switches that match the factory headlight switches. Wired to illuminate with "key on" but the accessories work with or without key on. I have one for the back up floods, one for the rock lights, one for the dome light, and one extra unused at the moment (maybe a engine bay fan later?). The front pods come on with the "outer high beams" and the front light bar comes on with the "inner high beams), this is what those two relays were for. The switches are blue and match the factory ones, and the Pyle bluetooth control I choose also lights up blue. For the winch I only installed the remote control port (no switch) cause I didn't want the kids messing with it. I mounted it right next to the factory headlight switches, and I also swapped out the front 12v plug to a dual usb/volt meter guage that also lights up blue and matches.

I'll get a better picture of all the switches and the stereo on..

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Used this headunit

and these speakers with no amp. Sounds good enough for our needs :)

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and I almost forgot, I added about 5/8" preload up front and now have exactly 15.25" ground clearance front and back!

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
That's a great looking T4! Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

Reactions: jmars808

·
TOTM Winner Sep '21
737 Posts
Looks great & very functional overall!

If I'm being honest..., I like the stock bumper better than the modified version you made. No offense meant.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a great looking T4! Have you had a chance to ride it yet?
Only about 100 miles, but yeah a little bit. Coming from a Honda talon x2 and before that 2 Honda pioneer 1000-5's. 100 miles was enough to know it will work perfect for what we need :)

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great & very functional overall!

If I'm being honest..., I like the stock bumper better than the modified version you made. No offense meant.
Thanks! Yeah, the bumper probably isn't for everyone. Just an attempt to make it look a little more sporty. My talon had less of a bumper than the modified version I have now on the teryx, and rzrs and x3s don't even have any bumpers stock. Seems like only big boxy utility sxs's have the full width giant bumpers.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
Seems like only big boxy utility sxs's have the full width giant bumpers.
Well... I hate to break it to you, but you are again the proud owner of a utility sxs... :ROFLMAO: lol, just kidding around. I ride with a group of people that are almost all Talon and Talon 4 riders, and I am definitely the "golf cart" of the group with my Teryx4. Trust me, I still have a blast no matter what trail they pick!
You're Teryx4 is looking great so far! Have you happened to take a height measurement of those tires while mounted on the machine? I'm curious because I know a lot of utv tires measure small once mounted and under weight. My 28" bighorn 2.0's only measure like 26.5" under the machine at 10 psi so I'm looking for tires that will run a little more true to size.

Reactions: jmars808

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just went and measured them on the machine. From the ground up maybe 29.25" tall. Front to back though they are a solid 30.25 or 30.5". They have 10 psi in them.

Definitely in a utility again. This thing has maybe less than half the power of the talon, but it has enough to do what we need. Can't imagine what a turbo rzr or canam is like. The talon had so much more than I needed that I never once actually floored it, I really don't know how much it has? The pioneer was more my style but had no bed with the seats up. We like the technical rock trails, but like to crawl them, and the teryx has an actual locker, the talon had i4wd which I can tell you is definitely not ad affective. Have the two pioneers with real lockers before the talon I can say from experience what the difference is etween the two. The teryx might be more of a mountain goat than the talon. I also kinda think once you get above 100hp and have 35s... it takes some of the fun out of the riding.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts