Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
Just went and measured them on the machine. From the ground up maybe 29.25" tall. Front to back though they are a solid 30.25 or 30.5". They have 10 psi in them.

Definitely in a utility again. This thing has maybe less than half the power of the talon, but it has enough to do what we need. Can't imagine what a turbo rzr or canam is like. The talon had so much more than I needed that I never once actually floored it, I really don't know how much it has? The pioneer was more my style but had no bed with the seats up. We like the technical rock trails, but like to crawl them, and the teryx has an actual locker, the talon had i4wd which I can tell you is definitely not ad affective. Have the two pioneers with real lockers before the talon I can say from experience what the difference is etween the two. The teryx might be more of a mountain goat than the talon. I also kinda think once you get above 100hp and have 35s... it takes some of the fun out of the riding.
nice, thanks for measuring those. A true 29" at ride psi is really good. You will definitely like the Teryx, and you have the S model so the ride and capability should be even better. When we are riding technical rock trails in TN, WV, etc the only time I really can't keep up with the Talon's is on the way to the trail. Sometimes we may have 5 or 10 miles of paved roads to the trail and there is no way I can keep up with them with the 50 mph governor, so I usually just say "I'll meet you at the trailhead". Even if they are just easy cruising at 50 or 55mph, the Teryx is violently screaming and bouncing off the rev limiter to do that, so I'm usually bringing up the rear at about 45-48 mph. But once we get to the trails, the Teryx really can do some impressive things. I am going to get an ECU reflash at some point so that I can at least cruise at 50 mph without feeling like the machine is going to explode :ROFLMAO:
P.S. - that dome light is slick as hell, you should think about making a run of them to sell!

Reactions: jmars808 and Andy>

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah the speed is a huge difference. We actually rarely go over 25. But you're right. 50 in the talon was like an easy cruise. It would be a great machine to take out in the mountains on fire roads doin 40mph putting down 200 miles a weekend. But in the woods, I was actually kinda disappointed. Hated i4wd and the gear transmission was really jerky and hard to drive on rock terrain, almost like a manual jeep would be. I think this teryx is gonna be real fun!

Ordered the SATV skids today. Hopefully I'll have another update soon with pictures and install tips regarding any modifications for the late model teryx's and fitment issues with the exhaust :)

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh, and if you know anyone with a 3d printer just grab the file off tinkercad.com (I made it public) and have them print it ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very nice ride!! Everything you’ve done has made the machine that much better! Next upgrade…go Hester edition Elkas! Best upgrade you can possibly do to a Teryx! There’s nothing now my “Rzr” friends run over at high speed that I can’t, it literally turned my T4 into a trophy truck. No joke. And now when it comes to rock crawling, with the extra articulation and suspension travel it’s a mountain goat. #upsxs #upsxsgram

Reactions: jmars808

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
Very nice ride!! Everything you’ve done has made the machine that much better! Next upgrade…go Hester edition Elkas! Best upgrade you can possibly do to a Teryx! There’s nothing now my “Rzr” friends run over at high speed that I can’t, it literally turned my T4 into a trophy truck. No joke. And now when it comes to rock crawling, with the extra articulation and suspension travel it’s a mountain goat. #upsxs #upsxsgram
What stage Elkas are you running on your T4? I'm sure it is a great upgrade, but man it's a lot of coin!

·
Registered
23 Posts
What stage Elkas are you running on your T4? I'm sure it is a great upgrade, but man it's a lot of coin!
Costs roughly the same as a set of new 30” tires&wheels. I personally don’t ride high speed open desert (I live in MI) or “jump” my machine (intentionally anyway😁) so after chatting with John, I went with stage 1’s front and stage 2 rear for the rebound control. I LOVE my setup and I ride pretty hard through trails. Once my shocks are dialed its set and done. No more messing with clickers all the time. No regrets here. John is awesome to work with too!

Reactions: huntertim214

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Costs roughly the same as a set of new 30” tires&wheels. I personally don’t ride high speed open desert (I live in MI) or “jump” my machine (intentionally anyway😁) so after chatting with John, I went with stage 1’s front and stage 2 rear for the rebound control. I LOVE my setup and I ride pretty hard through trails. Once my shocks are dialed its set and done. No more messing with clickers all the time. No regrets here. John is awesome to work with too!
$1300? that doesn't seem too bad, but the stuff just keep adding up haha. I don't ride fast or hard really. Realistically below 10mph most of the time just trail riding. Only reason we bought that talon was because we though more suspension travel would equate to more comfortable ride. We were wrong. It had more travel, but it was far stiffer or something I guess. It was actually less comfortable than the pioneer or this talon for the slow speed trail riding we do. You could jump it and it soaked that up like a boss which was kinda cool the handful of times I did it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
$1300? that doesn't seem too bad, but the stuff just keep adding up haha. I don't ride fast or hard really. Realistically below 10mph most of the time just trail riding. Only reason we bought that talon was because we though more suspension travel would equate to more comfortable ride. We were wrong. It had more travel, but it was far stiffer or something I guess. It was actually less comfortable than the pioneer or this talon for the slow speed trail riding we do. You could jump it and it soaked that up like a boss which was kinda cool the handful of times I did it.
My stage 1/2 setup was approx $1,600 shipped to my door. That was 10 months ago though….if you’re interested I’d call or email John. The 2 stage valving makes the ride. Again, best upgrade I put on my T4…and I have a lot of upgrades! I’m not trying to sell anybody I’m just giving my experience with the shocks.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Oh yeah, I did extend all the vents (y). Does anyone know what it looks like if you get water in the cvt? Does it cause any damage? Is there a drain? My brothers viking can totally fill up with water, drain it out and be on your way, no issue. Is the teryx the same?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Being that the Teryx is a mid engine I'm thinking you would have to go through some deep water/mud for it to get water in the case. I like the fact the engine isn't exposed to the weather and sheltered some, but it is a pain to get to the belt.😁

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Got the super atv skids. Coupon code from the forum here for a little discount and the things came in like 2 days with free shipping! I knew about the clearance issues with the exhaust but for the price I figured I'd just go with um and modify if necessary.

Turns out I can't figure out why you would need to modify them at all? The exhaust has a good 2" of clearance to skid plates and SATV gives you some wrap for the exhaust and some heat tape stuff for the top side of the skid plate. Here are the pics. Can't beat it for the money...

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The only thing that I don't like too much is the fit between the panel and the rocker bar. Not sure it could be much better, but it doesn't look great. It is tight to the rocker bar at the back but not at the front.. Some of the other brands come up and around the bar quite a bit further, which looks nice, but where I ride that area will just be full of small gravel sand stuff from the creek crossings... so I like this design better.

·
Vendor
954 Posts
The only thing that I don't like too much is the fit between the panel and the rocker bar. Not sure it could be much better, but it doesn't look great. It is tight to the rocker bar at the back but not at the front.. Some of the other brands come up and around the bar quite a bit further, which looks nice, but where I ride that area will just be full of small gravel sand stuff from the creek crossings... so I like this design better.
So...no mods to your S model? We haven't tried it on ours yet.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So...no mods to your S model? We haven't tried it on ours yet.
Nope, none at all (y) At the closest point the exhaust is still the thickness of the frame rail above the skid plate, which is the section where you supply the exhaust wrap and foil tape for. I'd say its got 2" of clearance there between the pipe and the plate. You can kinda see it in the picture with my finger. My intention was to take a picture with a measuring tape, but after seeing the clearance was so much, I didn't think I needed to crawl back out from under there to get the tape measure. My guess is the exhaust wrap and foil tape was unnecessary, nice touch, but probably didn't need it?

I'm not saying anyone who has reported issues is wrong... Maybe kawasaki did have some changes to other years/models, but I can't imagine up to 2017 the exhaust is above the frame rails, then between 2018 and 2021 kawasaki had the exhaust drop down lower to be flush with the bottom of the frame rail (sitting on the skid plate), but then for 2021 S models they raised the exhaust back up LOL.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Had it out this last weekend for the maiden voyage after the mods. The 30s and little pre load made all the difference! Barely bottomed out at all, and the few times I did I knew the bottom was secure thanks to SATV. The 30s maybe made a little difference in power, but honestly I don't know? What I do know is, out on the pavement in H and on the faster trails in H I couldn't tell. And on steep boulder rock climbs in L with the diff lock on, It had plenty of power. At one point my driver rear tire got swallowed into a hole between two boulders on a steep climb, so it had to climb vertical out of that while at the same time I'm sure one or more of my other tires were against a ledge/boulder and it walked right out. What I did notice with the tires is that the machine seems to push less in the turns, and isn't so floaty feeling. It is more connected, and handles better. I'm still running 10psi in the tires though, that may change when I drop it down to 6 or so. I'll try to remember video this weekend.

2 things left I want to do. Subwoofer and a exhaust fan for the engine area. I was going to put a sub under the drivers seat, but without a exhaust fan to pull some heat out, i think that area might get too hot for a sub haha. So I might rig up some type of fan under the seat to pull air from the engine compartment and exhaust it straight out the side of the machine through some type of vent. Seems easy enough. Then I can put a 10" sub in a flat box under one or both of the back seats I guess?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts