Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I don't have the S model but do have the SuperATV skids and 30" tires with the exact same experience and comments as you. The skids have held up very well after several years of hard rock trails and I actually think it makes the machine a little more capable as it slides over obstacles better. Just like you I noted the fit along the outer lower frame tubes doesn't look that good.....not sure why they are not even or flush (stick out a little further on the front) but they seem to work. I have similar experience with 30" tires and the stock clutching as it's pulled up some pretty serious boulders and ledges without any issues. It's does labor a little more at higher speeds on the road. With the stock tires it would hit the 50 mph speed limiter pretty easy and you had to feather the throttle which made it annoying, so much I was on the verge of buying a programmer or reflashing the ECM. However after installing 30's you really have to push it hard and keep the throttle pinned for a good amount of time to hit the limiter (and you are actually going a little faster than the speedo states with the larger tires). Because I rarely hit the limiter on the road with the 30's I really have no desire for the programmer anymore.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I agree with all that. I can't say about the high speed. I have no reason to ever go above 25mph since that is the speed limit on the paved roads where we ride and although you could get going faster on some of the trail roads, that's just not my style LOL. At slow speeds though, I don't see a need for clutching or more power, yet. If I ever take the teryx out to Colorado I could maybe see missing some power at altitude, but we will see I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I just signed up as a member here and saw your build and noticed you said you used to Have a couple P1000’s I currently have a P700-4 with P1000 spring on it and in the market for a new SXS. Was really thinking of going with a P1000 but like the teryx4. Overall how would you compare the teryx4 to a P1000 I know it’s a significant reduction in power but I feel the suspension comfort may be worth it? I’d love your advice.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hey I just signed up as a member here and saw your build and noticed you said you used to Have a couple P1000’s I currently have a P700-4 with P1000 spring on it and in the market for a new SXS. Was really thinking of going with a P1000 but like the teryx4. Overall would you still still with the teryx4 or a P1000 I know it’s a significant reduction in power but I feel the suspension comfort may be worth it? I’d love your advice.
What do you mean you have p1000 spring on your p700? just curious.

I'd say there is not much difference in the construction or design quality. I was actually happy with both. Maybe a little more happy with Kawasaki design actaully, and only slightly more with Honda quality (seemed to possibly be a little more over built?).

Honestly both had pros and cons in each category. An example might be, the Kawasaki engine intake location and traditional airbox is far superior to the intake design on the Pioneer which was susceptible to water intrusion from puddle splashing and had a hard to access expensive filter.

The rear cage on the pioneer is somewhat of an exo-cage in the rear near the tail lights and will catch branches on tight trails and then kind of bind them between the cage and the tailights as you drive past.

The folding back seats was a cool design and I loved the really short wheel base for the trails, but in hindsight the lack of a bed with the seats up, and the uncomfortableness of the seating (for adults especially) was a major downfall. The 4 real seats of the teryx with a small bed is WAY better for us, and the slightly longer wheel base is almost unnoticeable on the trails and probably helps on the climbs a little.

They both have heat issues in the cab. Teryx more up front, Pioneer more in the back or between the front and rear seats. Once when crossing the water steam came up behind the front seats and burned my kids hands on grab bar.

The pioneer did have way more power, for sure, but the gear transmission was ultimately a con for me. We ride slow very rocky technical trails. The gear transmission ended up being similar to the equivalent of driving a manual transmission jeep on the trails. The throttle response is very jerky and as you foot bounces on the pedal it just gets worse. The talon was the same, maybe actually worse due to more power, seating position and suspension being more stiff. Sure, you get used to it, but it is still a pain to drive honestly.

Now the pioneer does have the extra power, however, getting it to the ground is different. They say the CVT is less efficient with more power loss before the wheels, but here is the problem with the gear tranny... that dual clutch setup. Best I could tell, but accelerating extremely slowly is that once the engine reached a certain rpm the clutch engages 100%. It is light flipping a light switch. It is either engaged or not. This made it difficult to start and stop on the slow technical rock climbs. Even though it had the power, the rpms were so low when it engaged that it would bog and not have enough. You could just push the hill hold button and then mash the throttle to the floor and spin all four tires, but thats not what I wanted to do, I just want to drive it easy. With the CVT and wet clutch system the engine can like spool up or however you want to describe it and you can accelerate basically as smooth or slow as you want on a steep hill or in mud or whatever. The pioneer 1000-5 will be different in this regard than the transmission in your pioneer 700. The pioneer 700 and 500 both have the similar clutches as the good ole rancher and foreman atvs, which much just be like a centrifugal thing?

The one thing I do miss on the pioneers though is the manual diff lock selection including a turf mode. I drove in turf mode probably 95% of the time. Less wear on drive train, tires, the trails, and better turning radius. The talon had i-4wd which sucked. And I'm OK with the teryx because it at least has a real locker up front.

I guess overall. I'm taking the teryx over the pioneer for what we need and where/how we ride. Its a bonus that it is less expensive too! LOL. They can both be modified into machines that look nothing original and can do anything you want, but all things considered I'm happy with the Teryx for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In regards to your question I have P1000 front suspension all the way around on my P700, as a lift. I don’t like bracket lifts and it was a good soliton for me cleaning 28”s on the pioneer.
Long story short my buddy rolled my pioneer and it was totaled by insurance and now I’m in the market for a a replacement.

My main thought with the Teryx4 S LE is it already has good shocks on it from the factory for the same price as a base pioneer 1000 (with out adjustable shocks) we do mostly trial riding and slow rock crawling ( live and ride in central/western WA) and wondering if the ride is better on the Teryx4 S LE is enough to be worth the power loss if not going with a P1000. I want to run 30s so I’m a bit concerned.

Thanks again for your reply!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
that is interesting swap on your pioneer, was it a direct bolt on?

Well I have to assume your trails are similar to the rocky ozarks where we ride. And it sounds like you do similar stuff. My brother has a p700 and my teryx feels just as powerful if not more, than his. Actually, it definitely feels like more. I don't think his 700 could handle 30s without a portal reduction. But my teryx so far seems to do just fine with them. I mean it isn't gonna light all four tires from a rolling 10 mph on a dirt road, but it will still kick the back end out on a fire road haha.

I guess more power would be nice, but unless I move back to Colorado and am putting down a couple hundred miles a weekend at 30-40mph on fire roads, I'm never going back to the Honda DCT. Seriously the only things I can think of that I wish the teryx had was a lower reverse gear and turf mode. For that matter though the Pioneer 1000 reverse was insanely to high. So much so that I consciously thought about descending trails ahead of time and picking good lines knowing that I wasn't gonna be able to back up probably. One time so far in the teryx when backing I think the belt slipped or something (made like a bark sound). I was two pedal driving (so we didn't go further down the hill) and turns out I was holding a little too much brake when I was trying to back up the hill. So not only was it bound up in the big rocks on the hill side, but also had a little too much brake applied. Second attempt I just let off brake entirely and laid into the gas and it turned all 4 of the 30s and climbed up in reverse. The p1000 couldn't have done that even with the stock tires LOL.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Oh, and I am a full blown honda fan too. Ridin/driven almost everything, but never spent my own money on anything but Hondas until now. It hurts to admit the downfalls of the Honda, but at this point I'm almost tired of them not doin stuff right. It doesn't seem that hard. They just need better engineers, or they need to listen to feed back from users. Almost true for all brands. They have some things they did right, and then other things they did so obviously wrong. If your budget allows, that new rmax1000 might be a decent machine? On paper they seem solid, but they were too expensive for me to seriously consider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That’s exactly where I’m at. Honestly i would love to go with a new Rmax but I honestly can’t justify the extra 5K when I really think the teryx could do anything I need.

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
610 Posts
that is interesting swap on your pioneer, was it a direct bolt on?

Well I have to assume your trails are similar to the rocky ozarks where we ride. And it sounds like you do similar stuff. My brother has a p700 and my teryx feels just as powerful if not more, than his. Actually, it definitely feels like more. I don't think his 700 could handle 30s without a portal reduction. But my teryx so far seems to do just fine with them. I mean it isn't gonna light all four tires from a rolling 10 mph on a dirt road, but it will still kick the back end out on a fire road haha.

I guess more power would be nice, but unless I move back to Colorado and am putting down a couple hundred miles a weekend at 30-40mph on fire roads, I'm never going back to the Honda DCT. Seriously the only things I can think of that I wish the teryx had was a lower reverse gear and turf mode. For that matter though the Pioneer 1000 reverse was insanely to high. So much so that I consciously thought about descending trails ahead of time and picking good lines knowing that I wasn't gonna be able to back up probably. One time so far in the teryx when backing I think the belt slipped or something (made like a bark sound). I was two pedal driving (so we didn't go further down the hill) and turns out I was holding a little too much brake when I was trying to back up the hill. So not only was it bound up in the big rocks on the hill side, but also had a little too much brake applied. Second attempt I just let off brake entirely and laid into the gas and it turned all 4 of the 30s and climbed up in reverse. The p1000 couldn't have done that even with the stock tires LOL.
I second the need for more power in reverse. I mounted a winch on the back for when I need a little extra push lol
I've also had the belt squak a few times, usually when trying to move from a stop after getting stuck. It's like the belt got caught up in the clutches in to high of a ratio. I shifted to neutral and rev it up a bit then try again and all was good.

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
That’s exactly where I’m at. Honestly i would love to go with a new Rmax but I honestly can’t justify the extra 5K when I really think the teryx could do anything I need.
I considered it, but i agree, its just so much money for a toy. Already hard enough to justify 20k, especailly when that is how much we paid for my wife's SUV brand new in 2019 and it came with a windshield and stereo haha.

I second the need for more power in reverse. I mounted a winch on the back for when I need a little extra push lol
I've also had the belt squak a few times, usually when trying to move from a stop after getting stuck. It's like the belt got caught up in the clutches in to high of a ratio. I shifted to neutral and rev it up a bit then try again and all was good.
Good to hear I'm not the only one with that squak sound. Mine only did it the one time, and I think it was mostly my fault. I don't get the high reverse gearing, nobody ever needs to be going fast in reverse, they should make reverse 1/2 of what it is now, or even a 1/4, what would it hurt? Ever since I backed over my camp grill, while it was cooking, and It snapped the tiny propane bottle off and dang near exploded, I don't ever go fast in reverse haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@CTDpower Also yes it was pretty much a direct bolt on, I just needed sleeves to go from the 10 mm bolt up front to the 12mm ID of the shocks. The rear was complete bolt on.

Also I might have missed it but what has your opinion been about the ride quality of the teryxS vs the pioneer 1000?

thanks for the info regarding the belt etc, sounds like if your running 30s the the clutch kit is the way to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My biggest issue with the 700 so far has been the low end even in 1st with the 28’s it has stalled out on a normal climb. An actual low would be nice

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I think the pioneer 1000-5 on 30s might stall out from time to time on climbs as well even in low range, unless you do an IGR or portals. As of right now, I am totally happy with the clutch in the teryx, I'm not planning on doing anything with it unless it fails or something and I am replacing it anyway. I'll get some video next we are down south riding and show you some slow speed crawling. on the 30s.

As for the ride quality. Well, I went from the talon to the teryx. I could probably tell you better if the talon wasn't in between the p1000 and teryx. If I remember right though, I'd say the teryx actual suspension ride quality is better. On paper I think the amount of travel is similar but the load level shocks on the p1000 rear weren't especially awesome LOL. the fox 2.0 and their adjustability is much better on the teryx. And I'll take the teryx bucket seats over the pioneer bench for sure. Overall, teryx is more comfortable for sure (for me anyway). Only thing for me to make it a little more comfortable is if the seats were tipped back a bit similar to the talon. Which I considered making some brackets to do this, but it will inevitable raise the front of the seat a little making it even further to the floor. And my wifes feet already don't touch the floor hahahaha. I'm 6'2" 210lbs though and Its very comfortable. Better leg room than the talon too.

Oddly for me, I'll take the suspension of the teryxS, or the pioneer for that matter, over the talonX2 for our slow technical trail rides. I mean you can jump the talon, and I'm pretty sure you'd break your back if you jumped the pioneer LOL, so they are made for two totally different things. At high speed the talon was like riding a cloud, but it was just a too stiff, bouncy, jerky ride on the slow rough trails that we do. And I had aired down 32s on 14s, bandit springs, and no sway bar... I'd still choose the Teryx :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome thanks for all your help, now I just need to find a teryx S in person here in WA to go look at in person, which will be a battle all on its own

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
It is a battle man, good luck. I actually bought mine used, 3 months old with 199 miles LOL. Couldn't find a new one anywhere, waited for months. This one wasn't a bad deal so I jumped on it. He had like 25 people lined up behind me to buy it too. Its insane out there haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ya I don’t necessarily need one till the spring at this point ( hoping snowmobile season will start on time so might just have to put a deposit down and wait

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
First of all I will say that I would love to have a new KRX or something a little sportier or better trail capability, but just can't justify the cost and need 4 seats. In regards to the Teryx4 performance on technical trails (rocky, rutted, hill climbs) compared to other machines I'm pretty happy. I regularly run with some ex-Teryx guys who had Widcat XX's on 32's, RZR 900XP and 1000 on 30's, and several others. My Teryx has 30's, arched a-arms, Bandit shocks, diff lock limiter override so well modded. I have yet to find any low speed crawling that the others machines were obviously better, and have done some hill climbs that were lower speed and technically (versus just blasting up) that the Teryx was as good or better. The only obvious advantage the other machines have are when high wheel speed is needed such as blasting through a mud hole or a smooth but greasy and slick hill.....though in the Teryx's defense on the greasy hill climb I was running my Crawler XG rock tires that are pretty poor in the mud and the RZR 1000 has Cryptids which are definitely a mud tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@CTDpower sorry for taking over your build thread.

@6.2Blazer thanks for your response all of your guys info is making me think the teryx4 S is going to work out good for my family and I. Do you have any clutch work yet with running 30s? Or has the stock been sufficient for you?

The majority of our riding is cruising forest service roads (10-25 mph or so), jeep/technical trials (0-5 mph), and we also will run around town or into town sometimes ( 35 mph max)

·
Registered
21 Teryx4 S LE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Now that you say the speeds, I do have to say, the p1000 and the talon were definitely better at speed. Well, maybe better isn't the right word? Anything over 25mph and it seems like the teryx is just screaming. Maybe the smaller engine but probably mostly the CVT. At slow speeds the p1000 and teryx, noise wise, are about the same, but over 15 or 20 and the p1000/talon are quieter and seem to be just cruising along without struggle. Maybe they can be geared out higher with the extra HP, IDK. But if I was consistently doing the majority of my riding on dirt roads at like 35, then I'd be going back to the pioneer or a talon x4. Just something to consider. You should find a teryx to test drive and get it up those speeds you need and do the same with a p1000 and compare. Its probably the only way to know for sure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
We only go up to 35 fast when going into town and it’s maybe for a few minutes at a time. The rest is the 0-25 on the forest service roads/trials. Also noise won’t be a huge concern for me as we will be running headsets or helmets with coms in them. I’m only 33 and hearing loss is a huge concern for me after working in construction. Unfortunately with COVID stocking issue getting a teryx4 to test drive seems nearly impossible

41 - 60 of 66 Posts