Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to buy a RUV in the near future. I’ve been using a 660 Rhino on a small ranch I have....but it’s not mine, time to buy. I think my choices are Rhino or Teryx.

From what I read, I’ve was 90% certain, Teryx was going to trump the Rhino...and I think it does, except for four things that bother me. Two I can overlook, but not sure on the other two. Other than these four things.....I did like everything else about it. That motor is smoother than the Rhino.

1. Seat is to high, and to upright. I noticed it the minute I sat in it.
2. The foot restraint, makes you pull you foot back to get seated....I HATED that.
3. NO fuel gauge....what were they thinking???
4. Parking brake...foot controlled, needs to be a hand controlled brake.

Now....I want to buy it, but the question is can I live with these issues, or can I make mods to correct them. I need help....from the knowledge base here to determine that.

1. The seat. Are there any aftermarket seat bases that can lower and TILT the seat back. AND....if it would move the seat backwards, there seems to be space.....then it would add foot room and also help with the foot restraint issue (I think).
2. Foot restraint. I’m getting in/out of the RUV all the type with ranch work...and the design of this is just wrong for that. Appears it’s all molded into the design. I was trying to visualize just how to mod this. I simply want to completely remove it.
3. Fuel gauge...is there a solution to this?
4. Parking brake....a PITA, but I don’t use it it all the time...but just enough to be aggravated by this.

I hope someone has a solution....since everything else I really liked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2. The foot restraint,?

what do you mean by this please expain ??

I have a teryx and don't have any problems getting in or out.

restraints make it sound like something you slip your feet into to hold them in place.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After market seats are available as are fuel gauges.

The reason I picked the Teryx over the Rhino...ENGINE. The twin engine and engine size can't be touched.

I have riding buddies with Rhinos and their power (with a CDI) doesn't touch the Teryx.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Restraint....the triangle molded area in the front part of the side on the floorboard. Wkith the Rhino you just pull you leg in. With the Teryx you have to pick your foot up and back. I also have a bad left knee, and this probably makes this more noticeable to me than some. But for me...it's and issue.

Aftermarket seats and fuel gauge? I suspected so, or at least hoped so. Do the aftermarket seats repostion the seat back, lower, and with a tilt??? Do you have a url?? And ENGINE.....YES, I agree. I think the Teryx is going to trump the Rhino big time. And the fun factor, I think Teryx wins, I like that. But in reality, my use of the RUV will for a large percentage of the time not involve how much power it has.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if ya dont like it dont buy it! dont see how you can cut the foot restraint out, its moulded around frame i think. SPCASE28 where did you find a fuel gauge? and do you know how hard it is to install?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rebelson...I hear ya. Point is I DO like it, but considering how many times with ranch work you get in/out, kinda of like figure out if I can mod these couple of problems.

Does anyone know what is behind that molded foot restraint? Could it be cut or is there frame support in there?

Yes, SPCASE28....got a link on fuel gauges? I've read that 2009 Teryx will have a guage, and hopefully can buy direct from Kawasaki then.

·
Teryx Dealer - Madera, Ca
30 Posts
Its not a foot restraint as much as it is a foot rest. Its meant to put pressure on, to keep you in the seat as you are going over obsticles and not accidently using your right foot to reset yourself to your seat. That will also give you better throttle control. Jeepers have been using these for years. Thats why its textured. I dont think that the seat is too high but I guess it would have to do with personal preference. As for the parking brake, I would agree. I would have rather seen a hand brake.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enjkuck....that part you describe is ok. It's the upright part at the edge of the floorboard. That is there, I suspect to keep you feet inside in case of roll over.

I think I'm noticing this because I have a bad knee, and also I'm not a small guy...kind of long legged. After giving some thought to this, I'm thinking if I can move the seat back....it will make quite a difference at the foot end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the doors on the rhino don't bother you when you get in and out alot? seems like that would be more of a hassel. but i get what you're saying, the foot guard does make in and out a little more work, but that thing will save your leg if you roll.

What about a Mule if you're going to use it for purely for work?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MustMoto....the 660 I've been using is pre doors. The recall with the doors was ignored by us. If I bought a Rhino...those doors would come off first thing.

I checked the Mule....it actually has less leg room. Granted, I'll use this RUV a large percent of the time at slow speeds with ranch work, but there is also enough 'sport' left in me to know that I wouldn't be content with the speed of the Mule. I will sling some mud at times.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well....couple of days ago I pulled the trigger, and bought the Teryx. I LIKE THIS TERYX. I was debating Rhino v/s Teryx....and now with a couple of hours under my belt with it....and having had quite a bit of use of a Rhino 660....I KNOW...I made the right choice.

As a follow up to the issues I was concerned about.....it is NOT the issues I thought it would be. First the seats....at the end of the day...I wasn't noticing it all. Got use to them without difficulty. On the foot restraints....I still wish they were a bit smaller, but as with the seats, kind of got use to them too. I did alter the manner I got in/out...and that was a conscious effort at first, but was becoming less so by end of the day. Gas gauge...yes, I’ll make that mod at some point. Parking brake....it should be a hand brake, but I can live with the foot one.

NOW...I have a new set of issues, and one surprises me...I’ll start a new post on those..

Did I mention this Teryx rips....and how is it going to be with a CDI change...can’t wait. I LIKE THIS TERYX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts