Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

the best gps for off road with maps and point

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  gip 
#1 ·
I am new to Tenn and live buy crossville and black Mt trails am looking to buy a GPS to inprove the safty and fun. I know lawance and polaris came together and inproved the 2013 model the best price I have found is 629.00. What do all of you use and what are your thoughts. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
I have a garmin Nuvi 500. Comes with the topo maps and is waterproof. You can load maps onto it and save routes from it to your computer to share. Think i gave around $200 for mine from amazon. Be careful because the 550 doesn't come with the topo maps. Or maybe i have the 550 and the 500 doesn't comes with maps. Hmmmmmmm. Getting older sucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

#3 ·
What about a smart phone app? There are a lot of free GPS apps for my Andriod phone. Specifically I want one with a "breadcrumb" feature.... marks where I've been, and more importantly, how to get back to camp. I found a breadcrumb app, for $2, but it had not yet been rated. The stand alone GPS would be best for sure... however, we have been spending money like crazy on the new T4 lately & I'm gonna need to cool it!

#5 ·
What about a smart phone app? The stand alone GPS would be best for sure
The problem with some of the areas I ride, there's little, to no cell service. A dedicated GPS on the other hand works off satelite reception.

A GPS is deffinitely on my need to buy list,......SOON.

#6 ·
I am looking at Garmin zumo 660 LM part 910011 and lawrance xtr part 2879174 does anyone use these and know which one might be best I am in the Mountains lucky to talk at all on a cell phone.
I was told the lawrance was like a game boy last year the first year they where out and now the 2013 is better does anyone know? I would like to get my hands on some of these off road gps to test before I spend money but it is this forum that knows best. I have been told that many off road driver dont use them but i have hundreds of miles of trails and my nephews and others may be riding without me at some time and want to give them the best information the tools to have fun and be safe. Thanks

#9 ·
I searched for a dedicated GPS but couldn't find one less than 400.00. So I done the trial of backcountry navigator and it does what I needed. Plus I play my music off of my smart phone while riding so I just start GPS let if run in the back ground and if I need it I just pull it up. At the end of trip I will save it and can look back on it. Gives you dist. Speed .alt high and low.aver speed etc. Its 10.00 bucks for life (how every long that is) it has topos and if its heavy traveled trails you can pick them out on terrain view. Looks like 24 k but you can zoom in also. Not advertising just works for me.

#10 ·
Go to eBay and search for Garmin Oregon 550t... should find them around $300 or so. This model is a handheld unit, but you can buy mounting kits for $25 that will mount on the Teryx, just do a search on the forum for "gps mounting kit". They come loaded with all US topos and have some very nice features. Only issue I've seen is the screen is a little difficult to see in direct sunlight, but it's not a huge problem. If it means anything, I've owned one for about a year and use it everytime I go on a ride.

#11 ·
Monster1
if you want trail map for you GPS of most of east TN, Pickett and some of Kentucky you need to contact a gentleman by the name of "Dan Koerner" his email address <dan.koerner@comcast.net>, he sells a great set of downloadable maps for GPS's mainly interfaces with Garmins, maybe others, but he's mapped all trails around windrock, pickett, brimestone, royal blue, some at tackett creek I think, some in kentucky too. He the man if you looking for a good set of ohv trails. You can normally find Dan on the cumberland atv rider board Cumberland ATV Riders - CATVR

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.