Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Wanna add bigger tires?
I see a lot of questions about tire fitment, so I figured I'd try to make a quick chart that can be easily searched and referenced. These fitments are measured and tested with our products at full turn and full suspension compression. It can be argued that bigger tires can fit in all of these scenarios, but anything larger than the tire/suspension combos below may result in some rubbing. Some people don't mind a little rubbing, but either way this is a good guide to what you can run with no rubbing or whatever level of tire rub is acceptable to you.

These fitments are all measured with the recall fender pans removed.

Stock: 27" - 28" max
SuperATV 2" lift: 28"
Forward AND Rear A-arms: 30" (28.5 if recall fender pans are installed)
2" lift + Forward AND Rear A-arms: 31" (29.5 if recall fender pans are installed)
6" Full Suspension Lift: 36"
Stock with 4" or 6" portals: 26"
4" portals + Forward AND Rear A-arms: 32"
4" portals + 2" lift: 29"
4" portals + 2" lift + F & R A-arms: 32"
4" portals + 6" suspension lift: 40"
6" portals on stock suspension: 26"
6" portals + F & R A-arms: 36" (may rub inner frame rail at full compression)
6" portals + 2" lift: 32"
6" portals + 2" lift + F & R A-arms: 38" (may rub inner frame rail at full compression)
6" portals + 6" suspension lift: 42"
8" portals on stock suspension: 34"
8" portals + 1.5" forward arms: 38"
8" portals + 1.5" forward arms + 2" lift kit: 40"
8" portals + 6" suspension lift: 44"

Fitments may vary depending on brand of tire and shock pre-load setting.
Hopefully this helps.
Maybe we can get one of the admins to make this a sticky in the wheel and tire section :grin

·
Registered
2 Posts
What model years does this list apply to? I have a 2018 Teryx LE. Most of the info I have found on this forum pertains to older Teryx. I would like to run either a 235/75/15 or a 215/75/15 light truck tire with beadlocks. Their size measures 28.9x9.3 or 27.7x8.5. I am thinking the front and rear A-arms if I go with the larger 235 or stock height with the 215. Any thoughts?

·
Vendor
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What model years does this list apply to? I have a 2018 Teryx LE. Most of the info I have found on this forum pertains to older Teryx. I would like to run either a 235/75/15 or a 215/75/15 light truck tire with beadlocks. Their size measures 28.9x9.3 or 27.7x8.5. I am thinking the front and rear A-arms if I go with the larger 235 or stock height with the 215. Any thoughts?
Hey! You're in the right place! The info above is for your Teryx 800. Fitment goes all the way to the present with the 800 models. You'll be good with either the 2" lift or the arms for those. You may still have to remove the fender panel to make sure you're not rubbing. Your best bet would be the combo (arms and lift). Either way....it'll help to remove those panels...unless you're not worried about a little rubbing.

·
Registered
2016 Teryx4 LE
36 Posts
I agree with Mike S. this needs to be updated. according to the chart above, if i add 6" lift portals I can use 26" tires? my 2016 teryx4 le with stock wheels/suspension has 27" tires on it now.
so according to your chart, by adding a 6 inch lift i can use tires that are an inch shorter than what i have on there now, with no lift? this doesn't make sense. this thread is too old and needs to be updated. and what year(s) does the fender pan recall affect? I don't see fender pans on my 2016 teryx4 le, what years needed the recall? I'm only looking to lift it enough to add 30 inch tires. why spend $3000 for 6 inch portals if I can only use 26" tires when I have stock 27" tires now, with no lift? like i said before, this doesn't make any sense. please update to the newer models.

·
Vendor
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Mike S. this needs to be updated. according to the chart above, if i add 6" lift portals I can use 26" tires? my 2016 teryx4 le with stock wheels/suspension has 27" tires on it now.
so according to your chart, by adding a 6 inch lift i can use tires that are an inch shorter than what i have on there now, with no lift? this doesn't make sense. this thread is too old and needs to be updated. and what year(s) does the fender pan recall affect? I don't see fender pans on my 2016 teryx4 le, what years needed the recall? I'm only looking to lift it enough to add 30 inch tires. why spend $3000 for 6 inch portals if I can only use 26" tires when I have stock 27" tires now, with no lift? like i said before, this doesn't make any sense. please update to the newer models.
Yep.......this is actually true. You basically can't add 6" portals to your stock suspension. You have to include forward arms or a lift to get the wheels far enough away from the machine to fit a bigger tire. The width that the portals add will not let you run anything bigger than a 26" on stock suspension parts. We do not recommend trying 6" portals on stock suspension. Portals are definitely more for pretty hardcore rock crawling, hill killing, and playing in deep mud....specifically to help turn BIG tires.

If you're just looking to run 30"s, all you need is front and rear offset A-arms.
Front: https://www.superatv.com/kawasaki-teryx-high-clearance-1-5-forward-offset-a-arms
Rear: https://www.superatv.com/kawasaki-teryx-high-clearance-1-5-rear-offset-a-arms

·
Registered
2016 Teryx4 LE
36 Posts
is it the extra width of the portal that gets in the way of using bigger tires?
I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand this. and it still doesn't make sense to me. it must have something to do with the portal width or teryx a arms that i'm not getting yet, or does it have something to do with the cvt drivetrain as well?. I don't plan on getting portals anytime soon, just trying to understand them better in case I change my mind in the future, and if I do it will be the 4 inch portals. and it seems that I only need to get your offset a arms to use 30" tires. But I'm still confused about the "recall fender panels" How do i find out if I have them on my 2016? I don't think I do, but not sure. Are they on front and rear? I've only had my 2016 teryx for a month now and still haven't taken it down any trails as I have been going through everything mechanical changing all the fluids, filters, spark plugs and doing some of the mods. and I just got a trailer for it that I will have media blasted in 3 or 4 weeks when my local blasting co. has time to do it so I can paint it like my EVH "Van Haulin" trailer, then will re wire it and add new tail/brake lights with amber sequential turn lights ( also like i put on my other trailer ). so it won't be ready until late Aug., or early Sep. Plus It's too dang hot to take it out now anyway
I think i just need some trail time to get to know my teryx better and have a better idea how i want to lift it.
On a side note, I got my SuperATV winch mount today and have already installed it and love the higher position of the winch now and can re install my front bars, which didn't fit at the bottom mounts because of the length of the 5,000 lb. winch down there. it looks much better now.
Thanks for being on this forum, it's great to have your knowledge on here. and Thanks for answering my questions, I'm sure I will have more in the future

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
595 Posts
But I'm still confused about the "recall fender panels" How do i find out if I have them on my 2016? I don't think I do, but not sure. Are they on front and rear?
The recall was issued in 2015 so your 16' should have the plates installed from the manufacturer, unless it was a very early 2016 model or something weird?? They are just metal plates that are riveted inside the front wheel wells to keep sticks and debris from coming through the plastic into the driver/passenger compartments. They add some thickness to that inner wheel well and the tires will make contact with them in different circumstances.

·
Vendor
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is it the extra width of the portal that gets in the way of using bigger tires?
I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand this. and it still doesn't make sense to me. it must have something to do with the portal width or teryx a arms that i'm not getting yet, or does it have something to do with the cvt drivetrain as well?. I don't plan on getting portals anytime soon, just trying to understand them better in case I change my mind in the future, and if I do it will be the 4 inch portals. and it seems that I only need to get your offset a arms to use 30" tires. But I'm still confused about the "recall fender panels" How do i find out if I have them on my 2016? I don't think I do, but not sure. Are they on front and rear? I've only had my 2016 teryx for a month now and still haven't taken it down any trails as I have been going through everything mechanical changing all the fluids, filters, spark plugs and doing some of the mods. and I just got a trailer for it that I will have media blasted in 3 or 4 weeks when my local blasting co. has time to do it so I can paint it like my EVH "Van Haulin" trailer, then will re wire it and add new tail/brake lights with amber sequential turn lights ( also like i put on my other trailer ). so it won't be ready until late Aug., or early Sep. Plus It's too dang hot to take it out now anyway
I think i just need some trail time to get to know my teryx better and have a better idea how i want to lift it.
On a side note, I got my SuperATV winch mount today and have already installed it and love the higher position of the winch now and can re install my front bars, which didn't fit at the bottom mounts because of the length of the 5,000 lb. winch down there. it looks much better now.
Thanks for being on this forum, it's great to have your knowledge on here. and Thanks for answering my questions, I'm sure I will have more in the future
Thanks man!! And always happy to help...

And...Yes....its hard to explain without drawing a picture, but yes....the added width of the portals will put the wheel deeper into the wheel well at full turn. Forward A-arms will help immensely...by pushing those arms forward and allowing for more room back in the wheel well at full turn. A lift will also help push the arms down and all for more clearance back at the top of the wheel well where it would rub.

I should probably reword the "recall fender panels" comment. That's been awhile....and the panels are the current standard. Before the recall, the wheel well was just molded plastic. Now, you can notice an extra panel that has been riveted in there, right behind the front tires. Without the panel, you can see how the plastic was shaped to allow for more tire clearance. The metal panels they added are flat and cut down on that tire clearance. It was a worthy recall though. The thought of sticks coming up through the floorboards is always in the back of my mind after seeing a few horror stories on different forums.

And I can't wait to see the new "Van Haulin" trailer! Loved that pic man. I showed a ton of buddies here at work. Lol! Made my day. Big EVH fan.

·
Registered
2016 Teryx4 LE
36 Posts
Thanks so much HunterTim and SuperATV
I just looked and I do have the metal plates behind the wheels. the tire size makes more sense now.
Hey Super, did you buy the Mammoth cd by Wolfgang Van Halen ? it's not bad, but not as close to EVH's style of guitar playing as I was hoping for. He does play all the instruments on the album which is impressive, but I wanted him to play guitar more like his dad. and it's pretty cool that he named it Mammoth, which was the name of Eddy & Alex's band before they started Van Halen.
Have a great day all, I have to get to work

·
Vendor
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much HunterTim and SuperATV
I just looked and I do have the metal plates behind the wheels. the tire size makes more sense now.
Hey Super, did you buy the Mammoth cd by Wolfgang Van Halen ? it's not bad, but not as close to EVH's style of guitar playing as I was hoping for. He does play all the instruments on the album which is impressive, but I wanted him to play guitar more like his dad. and it's pretty cool that he named it Mammoth, which was the name of Eddy & Alex's band before they started Van Halen.
Have a great day all, I have to get to work
I JUST heard some of it. I watched his "Rig Rundown" interview, and he and his guitar tech went over all the specs of his signature model guitars, and then a look at his pedal board and amps. Awesome guitar, and he's a hell of a player. He's not Eddie, but he's doing some pretty awesome stuff.

·
Vendor
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just for curiosity’s sake where do wheel offset and or spacers come into play in this chart?
Good question...

For 4" Portals...
  • 14” or larger wheel required
  • 14” wheels cannot exceed 4-1/2” backspacing
  • 15” and larger wheels cannot exceed 5” backspacing
  • Not compatible with dual beadlock wheels
NOTE: Factory Teryx wheels are hub centric. When using our Portal Gear Lifts you MUST run aftermarket lug centric wheels. Almost all aftermarket wheels are lug centric.

For 6" Portals:
  • 18” or larger wheel required
  • 18” wheels cannot exceed 4-1/2” backspacing
  • 20” and larger wheels cannot exceed 5” backspacing
For 8" Portals:
  • 22" or larger wheel required
  • Wheels cannot exceed 5" backspacing

If you go with a bigger wheel that the advertised minimum...you can get away with a little more backspacing, but still need to be aware of how your brake lines are routed and test at full drop and full turn to ensure no wheel contact.

Wheel spacers are fine on aftermarket lug centric wheels, and they shouldn't effect the max tire size too much on the Teryx.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts