Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Teryx SLE
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Silverado Z71 that I bought new. All the service work has been done my me, and it runs and drives great. Only thing that bothers me is the truck has 250,000 miles on it. Only things replaced are the alternator and water pump (twice), and front wheel bearings.

We’re planning a group trip to Hatfield and McCoy trails in October, and I’m questioning the reliability of this truck with the added weight of my Teryx and trailer behind it. It’s never left me stranded, but I’ve never towed with it for six hours. It’s never been used for towing anything heavy, or used much for towing except for an atv on a small trailer.

Am I over thinking this, or am I asking for trouble? Any advice will be appreciated. Forgot to add, it has the 5.3 engine and 4L60 transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A Teryx on a trailer isn’t much of a load.

250K is a lot of miles. I wouldn’t worry much about the motor if it is still running fine with no oil or coolant loss. 250K on the original transmission? That is a feat. Does it shift normally? Does it whine? Does it clunk? Does it leak?

To put it in perspective, I tow a 10k lb dry fifth wheel toy hauler with my ‘14 Gas 2500 with 120K miles. I don’t think twice about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2022 Teryx SLE
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Teryx on a trailer isn’t much of a load.

250K is a lot of miles. I wouldn’t worry much about the motor if it is still running fine with no oil or coolant loss. 250K on the original transmission? That is a feat. Does it shift normally? Does it whine? Does it clunk? Does it leak?

To put it in perspective, I tow a 10k lb dry fifth wheel toy hauler with my ‘14 Gas 2500 with 120K miles. I don’t think twice about it.

Transmission works fine. I’ve changed the fluid every 50,000 miles, and there are no leaks or odd noises. It does have the factory towing package with separate trans cooler. It also has the tow/haul feature.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
798 Posts
I too am impressed that you made that transmission last that long! The teryx isn’t too heavy for that truck
If it ain’t broke fix it until it is.
I once saw a guy towing a fifth wheel with a side by side behind with an F150. They drove 5hrs like that.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
2022 Teryx SLE
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a 1997 Dodge Ram extended cab 2wd that’s in pristine condition. It has 160,000 miles with the 5.2 and automatic transmission. I’ve been told by my mechanic/Dodge guru friend not to tow in overdrive with this truck.

It has 3.92 gears and is running 3000 rpm at 70 mph with the overdrive off. Can’t afford another truck on my retirees salary, so I’ve got a dilemma here. Guess I could rent a truck for the trip.

·
798 Posts
I’d pick one and giver. Unless your towing around a heavy equipment trailer with 7000lb axles I wouldn’t worry much.
My favorite tow vehicle at work was an 04 1/2 ton gmc crew cab 2wd with the same 5.3/ 4l60 3.42 gears.
I’d tow cars and the odd1/2ton truck with a 16’ car trailer. It had around the same mileage as your truck has. It had no problem towing, I preferred it over the 2016 3/4 Chev we have.

I’m not sure how far you’re trip is supposed to be but I’d pack some tools and at least a code reader just in case, regardless of what the odometer says. You could have problems with a new truck too. If your truck is in good working order now I don’t see towing a light trailer around causing any unforeseen problems.

Reactions: 303hunter

·
Premium Member
2022 Teryx SLE
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d pick one and giver. Unless your towing around a heavy equipment trailer with 7000lb axles I wouldn’t worry much.
My favorite tow vehicle at work was an 04 1/2 ton gmc crew cab 2wd with the same 5.3/ 4l60 3.42 gears.
I’d tow cars and the odd1/2ton truck with a 16’ car trailer. It had around the same mileage as your truck has. It had no problem towing, I preferred it over the 2016 3/4 Chev we have.

I’m not sure how far you’re trip is supposed to be but I’d pack some tools and at least a code reader just in case, regardless of what the odometer says. You could have problems with a new truck too. If your truck is in good working order now I don’t see towing a light trailer around causing any unforeseen problems.
It going to be around a six hour trip to Hatfield and McCoy trails. The Z71 is a much more capable tow vehicle. It’s quite a bit more powerful than the Dodge, and gets better gas mileage. I’ll have my mechanic friend give it a good inspection and repair anything that needs it.

·
798 Posts
I’m trying to convince the wife that it’s time to sell my 05 dodge dually and get a little single axle 2007 Kenworth instead.

·
Premium Member
2022 Teryx SLE
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m trying to convince the wife that it’s time to sell my 05 dodge dually and get a little single axle 2007 Kenworth instead.

That would definitely do the job!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I had your choice, I send the Chevy.

And, I'm a Ford guy.

My brother has been selling used parts for 30 years. He sells more dodge transmissions than any other.

He says those trannys are horrible.
Oh they are. I had an 01 of that gen.

2 transmissions replaced under warranty, then one on my dime, and it got traded as soon as I felt the first slip the next time. All in 87000 miles. They slapped an overdrive and a lockup converter(with terrible clutch material) onto an old bullet proof transmission with a terribly designed tv cable, and out came a turd.

·
Premium Member
2022 Teryx SLE
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had your choice, I send the Chevy.

And, I'm a Ford guy.

My brother has been selling used parts for 30 years. He sells more dodge transmissions than any other.

He says those trannys are horrible.
I’m thinking the same. The Dodge has lived a charmed life; it made the trip to the trash dump twice a week, and that’s about it. My dad bought it used, and only put 10,000 miles on it in ten years. I regularly drive it 100+ miles, but it’s weak compared to the Chevy.

·
Premium Member
2022 Teryx SLE
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh they are. I had an 01 of that gen.

2 transmissions replaced under warranty, then one on my dime, and it got traded as soon as I felt the first slip the next time. All in 87000 miles. They slapped an overdrive and a lockup converter(with terrible clutch material) onto an old bullet proof transmission with a terribly designed tv cable, and out came a turd.

Well, y’all have helped me make my decision, and I appreciate the feedback. I’ll have the Chevy’s transmission serviced and checked out. I’ll only make this trip once or twice a year, and I think it’ll be ok.

·
798 Posts
Just don't get mad if the transmission packs it in 6hrs from home lol

• Haha

·
798 Posts
Get the Kenworth & enjoy the Fuel prices like me with my Diesel. Lol
I figure it can't be much worse than my current diesel. I've gotten as low as 7.5mpg but usually average around 9-10. I'll be doing under the speed limit this year. It'll cost me around $250 to fill my truck right now.
Ask for forgiveness, not permission.
Yeah, I usually just say it's a great idea cause it's safer and maybe it'll ride better than the truck. That worked when I bought the Teryx lol.
I was gonna call the dealer about it today but it's 13hrs away. I'll have to look into insurance first and see how bad that'd be. It's probably a total pos that smells like ass though. I'm probably better off to just keep firing the parts cannon at the dodge until it drives straight without sawing the steering wheel back and forth like I'm hammered.

Reactions: Haywire

·
Registered
Teryx4Le 2014 Kawasaki 4x4
29 Posts
Lol, yeah I get 15-18 depending oh how I drive my Diesel it's 5.09 a gallon here in MO. Luckly I have a Focus thats my daily driver it gets 28-31 mpg but it runs premium & its not far off from diesel. Atleast when I tow the Tyrex I usually stay around 13-15 mpg on the open hyw.

·
798 Posts
That's what I used to get when I used mine as a daily. Now it's only used to tow our trailer and side by side. Hence the awesome mileage! Diesel here varies a lot right meow, gas buddy shows prices between $1.70-1.97/L so $4.95-5.74/gallon in merican.

Do you have a focus ST? Any focus is quicker than my 74hp 2014 Mirage! But it gets 42-48mpg depending on whether there's a headwind and if the ac is on or not lol

·
Registered
Teryx4Le 2014 Kawasaki 4x4
29 Posts
Yeah my truck set alot more since fuel prices went up.03 6.0 bulletproofed F350 Crew Cab SRW 4x4, 4" lift on 35's I use it to tow my sport bike & my buddies sport bikes when we go riding in Arkansas plus the Tyrex as well. I have a 02 Focus SVT keep it well maintained I work at a BIG Ford Dealership in Kansas City been there slinging parts for 15 yrs now. I'd love to have the Focus RS but I'd settle with an ST as well. Lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts