Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Teryx 750 FI Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in eastern VA and new to sxs trailing. Been looking at trails in western VA and WVA. Any recommendations for a rookie getting his feet wet appreciated. Also a bit concerned about width limits. Running a 2011 750 sport. Looks like I'm over the 50" by a bit. Is this really an issue or do folks worry about it? TIA for helping me get started on the right foot.

·
Registered
2021 Teryx Base
42 Posts
Howdy! Here on the East coast, full on trail riding is anywhere from 2-6 hours drive but always worth it! Hatfield & McCoy trails are the most popular over this way. Trails range from beginner to crazy advanced hill climbing and there's miles and miles of em. You can even get up to some riding parks in PA in about 4 hours depending on where ya are.

Tons of posts about Hatfield and McCoy trails in WVA here

Also, a list of East Coast events here

Another ok resource for finding new places is rider planet

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
545 Posts
In addition to the Hatfield and McCoy trails, you can also check out the Spearhead System of trails in VA. I have only ridden the Original Pocahontas trails, but there are several other systems that are supposed to be quite nice with a variety of different terrain and difficulties.

And in regards to your concerns about width restrictions, there is nothing to worry about at any of the major trail systems that have been mentioned in this thread. There are some designated "single track" trails at some places in eastern Tennessee, but I don't believe that H&M or Spearhead have any of these. If they did they would be well marked so you would know to stay off of them. If you have other more local State trails around you in Eastern VA, that may be different. I know here in Michigan where I ride, there are 50" and under trails designated as "ORV Trails" and then there are "ORV Routes" which are open to wider vehicles. If there is a similar system on your trails I would definitely stay off of the 50" and under trails.

·
Administrator
4,373 Posts
I'll add a vote for the H&M trails. Great riding for any experience level.

Reactions: Bultaco

·
Registered
2012 Teryx 750 FI Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some really good info here. I'm in the process of digesting it now. Many thanks to you guys for the help. Poking around I found Peters Mill/Tasker gap. That's looks to be the closest to me (2.5 hrs). Also looks like a nice campground (Elizabeth Furnace) nearby. Thinking about making our first run. Anyone familiar with them?

·
Registered
2021 Teryx Base
42 Posts
Some really good info here. I'm in the process of digesting it now. Many thanks to you guys for the help. Poking around I found Peters Mill/Tasker gap. That's looks to be the closest to me (2.5 hrs). Also looks like a nice campground (Elizabeth Furnace) nearby. Thinking about making our first run. Anyone familiar with them?
Peters Mill/Tasker gap is on the list for a day trip one of these days so please report back if ya go!
About 2 hours from me so maybe we can try to coordinate a day trip with the local crew to meet out there for a ride if you're interested.

Moto Cove is another park I rode out that way with @VirginiaHawk but we were on ATVs. VERY ROCKY! o_O
Quick YT search found a Maverick bouncing over the rocks and trails. :ROFLMAO:
There's also a campground onsite we rode by but did not stay there.

I camped at Elizabeth Furnace (way back in 2013) and it was great!
Dry camping. Nice, large sites. Big fire pit with grill grate. Vault toilets. Bathhouse was closed when I went.
The site I chose was a short jaunt from the river and the closest neighbor was far enough away I didn't feel cramped.
Lots of hiking trails up and around the mountain and along the river with historical structures and markers all along.
Here's a post of that trip. Thumbnail photos are still there but expanded pictures host since shutdown...
http://adam.your-is.com/2013/04/camping-at-elizabeth-furnace-recreation-area-in-strasburg-va/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts