Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my trail tech dash and was just curious how the install is? For those of you that have done it do you have any tips? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I will be installing ours next week. Does not look too complicated, the hardest part will likely be the drilling of the spindle for the speed sensor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just ordered my trail tech dash and was just curious how the install is? For those of you that have done it do you have any tips? Thanks for the help.
Very easy to install remove front 2 bolts in the cage and one on each side of the rear and the cage will lean back out of the way. Take about 1 1/2 to do .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dash install

Just did mine this last week end. here is what I did. 1st you dont have to take the hood completely off, just raise it as high as it will go on the cage then run a tie down from the upper grab handle on the cage to the front of the hood, thats how the shop dose it. Next after you take the idot light assy. out of the dash from behind, remove the colored lenses from the front of each light with a small screw driver,then push the socket out through the back. Be careful to only do one at a time so you dont mix up the lenses with the light sockets.I wasted alot of time figuring this out with out damaging the sockets.The rest was basic wiring 101 all very easy, I didnt even cut into the harness any where. I used the inductive pickup method for the tach, just wraped the wire around the plug wire about 6 times and grounded the other to the case. It works great so far.the only other thing is be careful routeing the speedo pick up wire from the front spindle,only had to remove the tire to drill a 3/8 hole.in back of spindle, but the pick up wire has to be run pretty tight to the spindle so it wont rub the wheel when you make a lock to lock turn . this will all make sense when you start installing. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
I cut into the upper hose a couple inches befor the bend going into the radiator, that left plenty of excess wire for easy routing.

I set the (led) to come on at 195 degrees, thats when the cooling fan should come on. I set the other (led) to come on at 230. Hoping to try it out in the sand this weekend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here is an alternative dash mount from the trail tech computer. It is alot cheaper than the billet one from trail tech. This is from HRT Motorsports and I think it runs about $27.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Step 5

I hit a snag on step 5 of the instructions. "Splice the red half of the speedometer power wire to the brown wire as shown in the photo below. Connect the black half to frame ground..."
I can't tell from the picture how the splice was done. On my unit there isn't enough wire to pigtail.

Also, the ground method is unclear.

How did you all splice and ground for the speedometer power wire?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just used those clip connectiers. Put it over the brown wire and put the red wire into it and then closed it. As far as the ground I put an eye connector on the black wires from the tach and speedo and put it through a screw. Not sure how much sense that made and I am not a computer guy or I could post a pic. If it didn't help just ask and I will try to clear it up for you sorry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ran the pair of wires with the tach leads back to the engine compartment. one set went ( red to starter relay or battery positive,black to batt ground), the tach set of wires I ran to the rear cyl. coil assy on pass.side for inductive pickup (wrap red wire around plug wire about 6 times and black wire to case for ground. It really dose work!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good Idea

TooCool,
I read your post too late. I already spliced but I wish I had powered it up using your method.
Thanks all for the insight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts