Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Just bought a 2023 S LE 2 seater.
I have a 5x12 trailer with removable sides and am wondering if the Teryx will fit without having to modify the trailer width.
I have a feeling it us about 2 inches 2 wide so ill probably have to drive on my fenders when I load.

Will it fit on a 5' wide trailer?

Thanks,

Kenie

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Kawasaki states the S model is 62.6" wide and your trailer is about 60" wide (5'). If you can remove the side rails so the deck is flat and physically drive over the fenders it will probably fit. Without seeing the trailer in person I can't really say for sure. Keep in mind the fenders on many trailers are not very strong.

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,700 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that even if you can drive over the fenders, depending on your taillight location, you might risk breaking them and when your front tires go over the fender, there is a high chance the fender will hit the side of your ride. A 6x10 trailer would serve you better.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hey VirginiaHawk. I see you recommended a 6x10 trailer in a reply to another thread. I have a 6x10 trailer and it has a lift up ramp on the back. I am looking at a 2023 800 s le it appears it would be very close fit if I wanted to close that lift ramp. Do you know if it would fit on there? Not sure if you have run into that situation and knew it if would.

· July & December '22 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
254 Posts
I had a 5 1/2x10 trailer when I bought my 2022 S2. Because of the way the ramp is attached, it wouldn’t fit without major cutting and welding. The way a trailer is built has as much to do as the size if you’re counting inches.

I ended up building a 6 1/2x12 trailer because I had a lot of the components, but may revisit modifying the smaller trailer because of the 1997 Dodge I tow it with.

· Registered
14 Posts
I had a 5 1/2x10 trailer when I bought my 2022 S2. Because of the way the ramp is attached, it wouldn’t fit without major cutting and welding. The way a trailer is built has as much to do as the size if you’re counting inches.

I ended up building a 6 1/2x12 trailer because I had a lot of the components, but may revisit modifying the smaller trailer because of the 1997 Dodge I tow it with.
Thanks 303hunter,
I could still remove the lift gate and just use ramps which I could strap down to the trailer for transport. Wheelbase would fit fine on the trailer. I was hoping someone might have run into my same situation. My trailer looks like the pic.

Attachments

· Registered
38 Posts
Thanks 303hunter,
I could still remove the lift gate and just use ramps which I could strap down to the trailer for transport. Wheelbase would fit fine on the trailer. I was hoping someone might have run into my same situation. My trailer looks like the pic.
I think at that point you would be better off selling the trailer and buying a bigger one. It would get old pretty quick strapping down ramps.

· Registered
14 Posts
Thanks but unfortunately that isn’t an option for me. I have limited storage plus it is kind of a sticking point for the wife. I may have to wait for a Wolverine (I know that is blasphemy here) but it would fit. Have a friend that has one and we tried it on my trailer. The 850 is a unicorn around here but the RMAX is easy to find. That is way more than I want to spend on a recreational toy. I think the Tyrex 4 800 is a good fit for me at this point and just have to bite the bullet and trap the ramps down or put in the back of my pickup when traveling.

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,700 Posts
As far as I understand it, the S model is slightly wider than the non-S, but is the same length. I would think a 10 foot trailer would be enough, but I do see where closing the back ramp on some trailers might be a problem if you have added aftermarket bumpers and such? In this case, it should be easy to modify the trailer to allow towing with the ramp still attached.

Drill and install an eye-bolt on the top side rail of the trailer.
Install another on the sides of the ramp high enough to clear the trailer rails when closed.
Make up two lengths of suitable strength chain with quick release clasps on each end.
Adjust chain length to hold trailer ramp at highest possible position with bike loaded.

Alternatively, you could do something similar with a metal flat bar strap bolted on one end with a hole on the other that fits over another bolt. This would also keep the gate from folding forward under braking.

Just some ideas. The nice thing about these little black utility trailers is that they are very easy to modify to your needs.

· Registered
14 Posts
As far as I understand it, the S model is slightly wider than the non-S, but is the same length. I would think a 10 foot trailer would be enough, but I do see where closing the back ramp on some trailers might be a problem if you have added aftermarket bumpers and such? In this case, it should be easy to modify the trailer to allow towing with the ramp still attached.

Drill and install an eye-bolt on the top side rail of the trailer.
Install another on the sides of the ramp high enough to clear the trailer rails when closed.
Make up two lengths of suitable strength chain with quick release clasps on each end.
Adjust chain length to hold trailer ramp at highest possible position with bike loaded.

Alternatively, you could do something similar with a metal flat bar strap bolted on one end with a hole on the other that fits over another bolt. This would also keep the gate from folding forward under braking.

Just some ideas. The nice thing about these little black utility trailers is that they are very easy to modify to your needs.
This trailer does have a weird latch on it. It is kind of like a "D" attached to the sides of the fold down gate and and a latch goes through that and hooks to it. I may have to make some sort of stand off and then grab the D on the sides of the gate and pull tight to the stand offs. Not sure if it makes sense or not but have been thinking of how I could do that..

· Registered
60 Posts
I have installed U-bolt brackets for various tie downs when needed in any trailer model I have done. Even on a camper trailer I used for my ATV. Muffler shop or Canadian tire sourced steel clamps. Those U-bolts are hard strong steel while most other hardware you find is "white metal" as I call it. They strip easily, twist studs right of etc. Useless for many important purposes where failure is not a option. I drill two holes and weld around the nuts to the frame or place them on the outer face and weld part of the length onto the frame. either way they will never let go or break those muffler grade U-bolt type clamps!!

· Registered
14 Posts
This trailer does have a weird latch on it. It is kind of like a "D" attached to the sides of the fold down gate and and a latch goes through that and hooks to it. I may have to make some sort of stand off and then grab the D on the sides of the gate and pull tight to the stand offs. Not sure if it makes sense or not but have been thinking of how I could do that..
I am attaching a pic of the latching mechanism my trailer has. The ideas have been great! I just want to keep them coming if possible and hope the picture helps. I REALLY want a Tyrex 4 800 and the trailer mods is a major factor.

Attachments

· Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
939 Posts
Thanks but unfortunately that isn’t an option for me. I have limited storage plus it is kind of a sticking point for the wife. I may have to wait for a Wolverine (I know that is blasphemy here) but it would fit. Have a friend that has one and we tried it on my trailer. The 850 is a unicorn around here but the RMAX is easy to find. That is way more than I want to spend on a recreational toy. I think the Tyrex 4 800 is a good fit for me at this point and just have to bite the bullet and trap the ramps down or put in the back of my pickup when traveling.
Or buy a non-S Teryx. The tailgate opening on my Dodge is 60 or 61". My Teryx just squeezed through but fit. After I installed a 2" lift it narrowed it up a bit by an inch or so.

Backing on a 10' trailer might allow the tailgate to close?

· Registered
1,431 Posts
First depends on whether you are talking about a 2 or 4 seater as the overall length is different. A 2 seater is 118.1"' (9'-10") while a 4 seater is 125.4" (almost 10'-6"). If you have a trailer with a rail around it (meaning you can only pull up until the tires hit) and a tall fold up rear ramp they usually fit a 2 seater but not a 4 seater. However usually if you back a 4 seater on you could squeeze it on because the rear bed, as in how much is sticks out past the rear tires, is the difference in length between the 2 and 4 seater. Backing it on allows this extra length to overhang the front of the trailer.
In regards to total length it is the same between a S and non-S model, however the wheelbase is different with the S model being about 2.5" longer, with about .5" being in the front wheel location and 2" in the rear wheel location. The reason this could make a difference is that when you pull the machine on a trailer and place the tires up against the front rail of the trailer it will actually sit back further. For example, if you backed the machine onto the trailer until the rear tires hit the rail the S model would be about 2" farther back (closer to the fold up ramp) as compared to the non-S model.

· Registered
14 Posts
First depends on whether you are talking about a 2 or 4 seater as the overall length is different. A 2 seater is 118.1"' (9'-10") while a 4 seater is 125.4" (almost 10'-6"). If you have a trailer with a rail around it (meaning you can only pull up until the tires hit) and a tall fold up rear ramp they usually fit a 2 seater but not a 4 seater. However usually if you back a 4 seater on you could squeeze it on because the rear bed, as in how much is sticks out past the rear tires, is the difference in length between the 2 and 4 seater. Backing it on allows this extra length to overhang the front of the trailer.
In regards to total length it is the same between a S and non-S model, however the wheelbase is different with the S model being about 2.5" longer, with about .5" being in the front wheel location and 2" in the rear wheel location. The reason this could make a difference is that when you pull the machine on a trailer and place the tires up against the front rail of the trailer it will actually sit back further. For example, if you backed the machine onto the trailer until the rear tires hit the rail the S model would be about 2" farther back (closer to the fold up ramp) as compared to the non-S model.
Now that is a thought 6.2Blazer. Have you towed with it backwards? That would be a simple way to do it. I think my trailer is a little over 123" when I measured from the front rail to the fold up gate. So I don't need much. This is a 4 seater and would come with a roof and a windshield so not sure how that would act backwards. I could open the front window but the slope of the roof would still catch a lot of air going down the road. Not sure if it would be to much for the roof or not. I have also thought about getting a piece of angle iron and determine how much the "tailgate" has to be sloped backwards and welding the angle iron on the side of the tailgate so it would fit flush against the trailer like the gate does in the picture. Then just cut a hole in the welded on angle iron for the latch to fit through.

· Registered
14 Posts
Or buy a non-S Teryx. The tailgate opening on my Dodge is 60 or 61". My Teryx just squeezed through but fit. After I installed a 2" lift it narrowed it up a bit by an inch or so.

Backing on a 10' trailer might allow the tailgate to close?
Thanks Andy. I have a fifth wheel travel trailer and will, at times anyway, have the SxS behind that. I think I have a lot of wants but have painted myself into a corner with all the current "toys" I have. That is one of the reasons I have to get this current trailer to work. Backing on would probably work if the roof and windshield could hold up going down the road that way

· Registered
14 Posts
I've always hauled mine forwards but Liftedt4le hauls his backwards. DISNEY OKLAHOMA NOV 11TH WEEKEND
Thanks Andy!!! Very interesting. I see he has a rear window but still. I could always just take a rachet strap across the roof just to make sure. Thanks for the info. I just want to say thanks to everyone for staying with this thread. This is really a good site. Great responses. I will post picks when I get the Tyrex. I think I have some info now that I can use my current trailer to haul the new ride. If I all of the sudden I quit posting after I get the Tyrex you may need to call the authorities because my wife has probably done me in and put my body in a pasture somewhere 😲 🙂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts