Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· July & December '22 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a 16’ tandem axle trailer that needs a lot of repair. The deck was rotten, but the frame is in pretty good shape despite sitting in the woods for many years. it’s gonna need bearings, sanding, and painting. It also had a few broken welds that I’ve already repaired. I put tires on it a couple days ago, and now I can move it around. I’ll update as I go.

Tree Wheel Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Track Road surface Wood Grass Tints and shades

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Tree

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,716 Posts
Very nice! I love trailer projects! I've built 3 of them myself. Very rewarding work! And its sweet that you got it for free!

2022 Teryx SLE
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! I love trailer projects! I've built 3 of them myself. Very rewarding work! And its sweet that you got it for free!
It’s got brakes on the rear axle with about 6” of wire sticking out of the hubs. The wiring for the lights and brakes are missing. I’ve never worked on trailer brakes before, so this will be a learning experience.

· Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Its not hard. You can easily google the wiring diagram. Probably the most important thing is to make sure you have a good ground. Your brakes are electric and use more power than just lights so you need to make sure the ground is good.

There are seven wires in your plug and your truck will need a brake controller if it doesn't already have one.
The Yellow/Green/Brown and White are your normal trailer lights, just like on any trailer.
If I remember right, the blue wire goes to your trailer brakes. There are two wires on your brakes, one is power, one is ground. I don't think it matters which way you wire it.
Then there should be a red wire. Thats a 12volt power feed from your truck. That can be used to maintain a charge on the emergency brake battery or power internal lights like on a box trailer.
The other wire, I forget the color, black maybe? Is for reverse lights. I like to put reverse lights on if I have room. Any wires you don't use, just cap off. It won't hurt anything.

You can find everything you need to know online. And you can buy complete brake kits that you just bolt on ready to go if you need to fix the brakes. In my state, any trailer over 3000 pounds or with multiple axles, has to have brakes and any trailer with brakes has to have an annual inspection. But that varies greatly from state to state.

I look forward to updates as you go!

2022 Teryx SLE
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not hard. You can easily google the wiring diagram. Probably the most important thing is to make sure you have a good ground. Your brakes are electric and use more power than just lights so you need to make sure the ground is good.

There are seven wires in your plug and your truck will need a brake controller if it doesn't already have one.
The Yellow/Green/Brown and White are your normal trailer lights, just like on any trailer.
If I remember right, the blue wire goes to your trailer brakes. There are two wires on your brakes, one is power, one is ground. I don't think it matters which way you wire it.
Then there should be a red wire. Thats a 12volt power feed from your truck. That can be used to maintain a charge on the emergency brake battery or power internal lights like on a box trailer.
The other wire, I forget the color, black maybe? Is for reverse lights. I like to put reverse lights on if I have room. Any wires you don't use, just cap off. It won't hurt anything.

You can find everything you need to know online. And you can buy complete brake kits that you just bolt on ready to go if you need to fix the brakes. In my state, any trailer over 3000 pounds or with multiple axles, has to have brakes and any trailer with brakes has to have an annual inspection. But that varies greatly from state to state.

I look forward to updates as you go!
Thank you, your info will help a lot. Neither of my trucks has a controller, so I’ll have to get a couple.

· Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Glad to help!

I can't tell if your Ram in the picture has a 7pin plug on the back or not. If it does, then you will just need the brake controller and pigtail for your specific truck to make it work. If you don't have one, you can get an aftermarket one that should plug into your trucks existing wiring harness. It might be this one? But I'm not sure, you should check to be sure. Otherwise, this is just an example of what you would need.
https://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-20135-Multi-Plug-Connector/dp/B005S581ZS

For the trailer lights themselves you can use any generic trailer lighting kit from Amazon or Walmart and it will be just fine. I prefer the LED submersible lights myself. It will include all the wire you need to install the lights.
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Certified-Assembly-Lifespan-Waterproof/dp/B07MJ4NGXD

Then you will need to grab a 7-pin trailer pig tail to plug into your truck.

You can take the generic light kit and cut the 4 pin end off the wire harness and then adapt it to the 7 pin tail. You can Google the color code and pin out to make it easy. Here's one I found.
Font Parallel Circle Slope Diagram

If you want to replace the brakes, here's an example of the kit I was talking about before:

If you want to replace the ripped fender:
https://www.amazon.com/Tow-Zone-Tandem-Fender-Teardrop/dp/B012D74FNU

Oh, and one last thing. When you are making your wire connections, I highly recommend a quality water proof connector like these.
https://www.amazon.com/TICONN-Connectors-Waterproof-Insulated-Electrical/dp/B07HCNTZ2Z

Good luck!

2022 Teryx SLE
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dodge doesn’t have the seven pin plug, so I’ll have to get one. It doesn’t have a controller either, so that’s another thing. I need to get all the wiring finished before I install the bed, because it’ll be much easier to work on.

Also have a Chevrolet Z71 that already has the correct plug, but no brake controller. This will be the truck I do most of my towing with because it’s quite a bit more powerful than the Dodge.

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx4 LE
115 Posts
I vote for a Eddy Van Halen paint job :)

• Haha
Reactions: SuperATV

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx4 LE
115 Posts
Yup, it was me. I call it Van Haulin. And I give 303 Hunter & you ( & every one else ) full permission to copy the design that I copied, :rolleyes: if you want to, besides, you can never have enough EVH painted trailers on the roads ( SuperATV knows )
And it looks better than the Sponge bob square pants theme that LiftedT4LE suggested I go with.
I like trailer projects too, room for creativity without getting expensive.
I also added LED reverse lights ( for the 1st time) and they are very handy to have. I'll be adding reverse lights to any trailer i get from now on.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperATV

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx4 LE
115 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished trailer. Have fun with it 303

1 - 11 of 11 Posts