Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard time coming up with a good tie down scheme for trailering my T2. Curious what other members are using for attachment points on their machines and flat bed trailers.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
My trailer has a 12" rail around it so I put my front tires against the rail, then took a 2x4 and put behind the tires and marked the deck and screwed it into place so i have a built it tire chock thrn I run a strap up over and thru my front bumper then accross to the other side and back down to my ancra tie down points and ratchet it snug. with my tire chocks and the e brake I realy dont need to tie down as it wont move but I feel better this way

·
Registered
974 Posts
I use four ratchet straps, one at each corner. The back two I attach with the hooks to the trailer hitch mount, holes next to the receiver. For the front, I wrap the strap around the upright behind the winch area, then run the strap through the hook/strap attach point so the hook isn't used. The strap itself wraps around the upright and then goes to the front/side of the trailer through the ratchet. Works well and you don't have to worry about the hook tearing up the paint.

·
Registered
303 Posts
On my 6' x 12' trailer, I run the front wheels tight against the railing, set handbread.
Release winch and secure to trailer crossmember support beam, tighten winch to secure frontend.
Open dump bed, run 2" cargo strap across frame rails, over rear tires and secure strap ends too trailer railing. Tighten strap, then close the dump.
You d/n have to go crazy on tightening straps/ winch. Once you start compression of the suspension, you have plenty of downward force against trailer surface.
Have successfully trailer many, many vehicle (cars, truck, tractors, motorcycles, atv/utv's) with this procedure all over many state in this great nation and Canada! Good luck

·
Burn out vs fade away!
676 Posts
I use these Ancra ratcheting tie downs

Along with these soft ties to wrap the Teryx frame:

I've marked the tie points for the soft ties:

The green circles show the areas I used the soft tie loops on my aftermarket cage. On the front you can slip the soft tie between the cage and the plastic. It then loops on its self then you can just hook your tie down to the soft tie end. The orange square near the hitch shows where I tied down the rear with the stock cage.

Both my toyhauler and flat trailer (8x12) have tie downs in the four corners of the Teryx. Here is my flat trailer when I bought it (lots-o-rust):

I've circled the areas where my tie downs go.

·
Registered
974 Posts
On my 6' x 12' trailer, I run the front wheels tight against the railing, set handbread.
Now I'm pissed, mine didn't come with handbread... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
If u look at the belly pan about center of the machine you will see a couple holes. I hook a strap in the hole on each side and strap to the front of my trailer and then two straps to the saftey chain slots on the back of the machine to the rear of the trailer. I've trailered mine many miles this way with no issues.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I love my 12' tandem tandem but I think it's time to upgrade since the kids have four wheelers now and I need more room. I was set on a 20' 7k lb. Aluma my neighbor was gonna sell but he bent the tongue up with just a 3200 lb car on it so I'm back to steel trailers. Lol. I like this towmaster.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I use four ratchet straps, one at each corner. The back two I attach with the hooks to the trailer hitch mount, holes next to the receiver. For the front, I wrap the strap around the upright behind the winch area, then run the strap through the hook/strap attach point so the hook isn't used. The strap itself wraps around the upright and then goes to the front/side of the trailer through the ratchet. Works well and you don't have to worry about the hook tearing up the paint.
Same here.

·
Old Ezra
967 Posts
I tie mine down through the wheels. No bouncing to worry about. Pull the front to the front at about 8-o'clock and the rear to the rear at about 4....let the suspension do it's thing...

·
ROCKSOFFROAD
1,435 Posts
That's what she said
You know we all dream of the next happy trail let's go !! Its tie er down an go to the next place we've never been

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use a 12ft dual axle trailer. I center my load about 60/40 over the axles. 60% towards the truck. I use 4 straps to the 4 corners of the trailer. The rear 2 connected to the safety chain hooks in the teryx hitch, the front 2 as low as I can connect them on the frame near where the a-arms connect so suspension flex doesn't cause them to slip loose. I also connect my winch cable to the trailer as a fail safe if the straps were to break.

·
Registered
198 Posts
this is how I tie my Rexes down on my 16' utility trailer. I had 10 D-rings strategically added, to better secure a SxS and quad. I use the ratchet tie downs with the axle wraps on the front.

Like others have done, I use the safety chain loops on the rear hitch, or in the front of the hitch.

I also have a 37' bumper pull car hauler that I can load many toys on. I had about 2 dozen or more D-rings added down the center. It gave me lots of options for different combinations of toys.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Tie Downs...

I like to keep mine simple and quick. I use soft ties and ratchet straps I purchased from Power Ties and only use 1 in the front and 1 in the rear. I get my load placed on the trailer about 60% to the front which leaves 40% to the rear to avoid any lack of tongue weight problems. I then lock the emergency brake and run my soft ties both front and rear from clear access off the center of my frame then back to my trailer in center both front and rear. I pull both ends until I see it pull my suspension down tight (not so tight as to blow my shocks out but still nice and tight) and I am ready to yank it around as hard and fast as I want. The key is to have confidence in the equipment you use to tie you load down with and that is the exact reason I paid the extra money for the Fat Daddy tie downs that are sold by Power Ties. :drive1:

Reactions: Rogue1970

·
Burn out vs fade away!
676 Posts
helrzr215, thanks for the mention of the powertye site. I'm going to order some better tie downs then the Ancra's I'm using now.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Powertye...

helrzr215, thanks for the mention of the powertye site. I'm going to order some better tie downs then the Ancra's I'm using now.
Yeah I just love them and they have soo many options, different end fasteners and you can go about as heavy as you'll ever need!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I forgot to post pics of my anchor points. I use eye bolts on my trailer. I do not use a standard eye bolt like lowes sells because they have a breaking strength of about half of what a T4 weighs. These are a harder grade of steel I got from my work. We use them as anchor points to lift large electrics motors at work that weigh about double what a T4 does. They have a higher breaking strength than most. You'll also notice two white arrows painted on the rear of my trailer frame. I use heavy duty detachable tractor ramps. Those arrows are at the center of the right and left wheels of my T4 with the machine centered on the trailer. There are also arrows painted on my ramps. It makes loading and unloading faster. Just drop the ramps in the channel on the trailer and line the arrows up, then drive on. No pulling up behind the trailer and trying to center the ramps with the wheels. The markings take the guess work out.

Vehicle Trailer Automotive exterior Bumper Pickup truck

Hardwood Wood Deck Table Bumper

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts