Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals. I'm new to this forum and used to talking on a Ford Mustang forum so forgive me if I've posted this in an incorrect forum. I didn't see a particular forum for transmissions, so I'm assuming this is the place. Has anyone had any problems with transmission noise in low gear going down a steep hill. The noise my teryx is making is a loud (very loud) ratcheting type noise. I took it to the dealer and they adjusted the shift linkage and it took away the noise in high gear, but it seems to be there in low. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its just the CVT cycling, either give it a little gas or ride the brake just a little and give it a little gas at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Clang Clang in the Transmission

When you accelerate and decelerate... the transmission makes a "clang" "clang" noise coming from the back of the transmission. It is louder going downhill. We jacked it up, shut the engine off, put it in gear and rolled the tires and you can hear it...the transmission seems to have alot of "loose play" is that normal ??? Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've taken my teryx in twice to the dealer and they cannot reproduce the noise, so they have adjusted the shifter twice. Everyone that I've talked to says their teryx makes a lot of noise supposedly from the CVT. I bought a factory manual and figured I'm going to drive it and let it make all that noise until it blows up and then I'll try and fix it myself. Sorry I can't help you other than try and adjust the shifter linkage. I'm totally disappointed in the dealership and the Teryx. Wish I had bought a Rhino like a friend of mine did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They cant reproduce on a flat parking lot, You've got to go down a hill in low.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand what your saying about reproducing the sound, but you would think they would open it up and take a look inside instead of adjusting the shift linkage again. They know that the shift linkage is good because they just adjusted it a couple of weeks ago. It was making a grinding noise in neutral and they solved that part of the problem. Anyway, gripping about it isn't going to solve the problem. I'll just have to ride it until it breaks.:bsflag:

·
Registered
17 Posts
We can reproduce our clank clank sound by turning the engine off, jacking up the back so the tires are free, put it in gear and roll the tires back and forth...you will hear the clank clank noise (of course quieter than actually driving it) sounds like it is coming from the back of the transmission....we took ours to the dealer and did that and he said "all" of them are like that....I don't know...????

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like the dealerships are hoping the Teryx' will continue working until the warranty ends and then they will be paid from us to fix them. My buddy that has a Rhino tells me that his doesn't make this kind of noise. If anyone has a better solution to this problem, please let me know. I know two people told me theirs makes the same noise, but thats been it and I know there are more than two people on this forum.

·
Registered
145 Posts
mine does it in low gear on flat ground sounds like the tranny is about to come out of it it clanks so loud and can feel it my 07 rhino has no problems like that in low gear

·
Registered
61 Posts
from my past experience with the quads, its normal, when your going down hill and if the clutch is not engage, meaning its free wheeling, it makes all kinds of noise, if you step on the gas a little and make sure the clutch is engaged going down hill the clutch brake should take over and the noise will stop, i never had one transmission problem on my vforce which i owned for 3 years and it had a 840cc motor, i did notice on the teryx that the linkage has to be adjusted, my concern is its a solid link between the gear shift and the shifting mechanism, which if the linkage is not adjusted properly, the tranny might not be completely in gear or out of gear, which could create mechanical problems. on the quads the shift linkage is a cable system, so once the tranny was shifted into gear the cable kind of relaxes a little bit do to slack in the cable, so there is no tension on the shifting mechanism during operation. just my personal opinion.
sincity

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine was making alot of noise to, it sounded like tranny going to rip out of it. started getting jumpy on take off @ 10mi(belt?) also had extreme heat in cab,pain in ass to change oil. solved all my problems with one move.... SOLD IT might wait for suzuki always had good luck with them & i hear they should have em out in fall. hate to wait agian like i did for teryx. maybe back to rhino? i dont know what to do!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey everyone. I just came back from the Colorado River after picking up the Teryx from the dealer again. This time the noise was pretty much gone, although we didn't climb a lot of hills. The dealer claims it should be good now that he has adjusted the linikage again. I guess the noises these things make are normal. All I know is that I bought the manual and will service it myself from this point forward. So far I haven't been able to break it, but I'm going to continue to try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The transmission on my Teryx won't shift out of low gear and produces alot of heat. I had it to the dealer for a recall and now I have this problem. The cooling fan isn't working either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All teryx's make that noise it is just gear lash, and the reason for the grinding noise in neutral is what they adjusted for, it was in between gears, there is Nothing wrong with the noise. I have 1440 miles and about 150 HRS on mine, made the noise from day 1

And also the grinding noise ist was making probably would not let the Teryx start in nuetral you most likely had to press on the brake to start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts