Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm in the market for a used teryx, and I found one for a great price, but it has higher miles. I'm just curious what you guys think about the prospect of buying a higher mileage machine, what issues I might expect, and whether an extended warranty would do anything to ease concerns about buying this machine.

It's an 09 Teryx LE.. It has 9000 miles, and the machine carries an extended warranty through 2014. I believe it's pretty stock, and looks to be in good shape (I haven't made the 200 mile trip to actually inspect it yet)... The dealer is asking $5300 for it.

What do you think? Worth looking at? If/When I check it out, what should I look for? Anything I should be concerned about or try to negotiate at that mileage?

Thanks in advance

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Seems kind of high for that many miles, I know in my town you can go buy a new teryx 750 for 10499 out the door new.that is advertised price. So IMO better off spending 5k more and get brand new. I couclnt buy a machine with 9000 miles for that price IMO. It maybe a good machine but going to need lots of maintenance, motor rebuild and such down the road...if you think it's what you want go for it. I wouldn't pay more than 4000 for it but that's me

· Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Wow, that is high mileage. Is there any way to know the maintenance history? Others will probably know better about the price, but I'd guess you could walk out of there at about $5,000. I would initially check all the fluid levels (front and rear diffs, engine oil, coolant level in the overflow bottle), look at the cv boots for tears and such. Check the chassis between the lower front a-arms to see if its dented in, mine is dented in after hitting a small tree and its happened to others as well. My Teryx sill tracks straight, but I haven't got it fixed yet. Make sure it starts, of course. Ask if the valves have ever been replaced adjusted. Ask about the belt and when the last time it was adjusted or replaced. Ask for the dealer to throw in an OEM belt to sweeten the deal. This isn't all inclusive, but should be a good start for you. Lastly, I would use the search function on here and do your own due diligence reading about these awesome machines. Welcome to the site.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that is high mileage. Is there any way to know the maintenance history? Others will probably know better about the price, but I'd guess you could walk out of there at about $5,000. I would initially check all the fluid levels (front and rear diffs, engine oil, coolant level in the overflow bottle), look at the cv boots for tears and such. Check the chassis between the lower front a-arms to see if its dented in, mine is dented in after hitting a small tree and its happened to others as well. My Teryx sill tracks straight, but I haven't got it fixed yet. Make sure it starts, of course. Ask if the valves have ever been replaced adjusted. Ask about the belt and when the last time it was adjusted or replaced. Ask for the dealer to throw in an OEM belt to sweeten the deal. This isn't all inclusive, but should be a good start for you. Lastly, I would use the search function on here and do your own due diligence reading about these awesome machines. Welcome to the site.
Unfortunately, I doubt if there's a way to know the history. It's at a dealership, so I'm guessing they don't know. I'll ask though...

Thanks for the advice on things to look for. Should I bother to check compression or anything like that? If so, what is normal?

I'll definitely be familiarizing myself with my machine and doing most/all of my own maintenance too. I'm kind of a forum whore, so once I buy something, I'll definitely be tinkering/fixing and hopefully contributing to the forum.

· Registered
282 Posts
$5300 seems high to me for a machine with 5,000 miles. I would think you could talk them way down.
IMHO its worth around $3,500.

Good Luck with your Teryx search....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

· Premium Member
877 Posts
Its a wonder they did not short the thing out to get rid of the miles LOL.
I would just be curious to know what kind of riding he has done for the 09 to have that many miles on it, must be road or cross country riding, but I am sort of like the other guys said, I would be concerned with the wear on the front and rear end , bearings, engine, bushings, joints,clutch and almost all moving parts, be honest when you said high milage I was thinking 3 4 or even 5000 but I don't know if I have ever seen one with 9000.

· Registered
189 Posts
I sold a 08 for 6500 and it had a little over 4000 miles. talked to the guy that bought it 3 months later and he said it was the best sxs he has owned. I believe they will go that far if well maintained. I also seen one 09 for sale with 9500 miles for 5000.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the miles are known the hours should be known too. Take a look at how many hours are on the unit. High miles and low hours may mean it was rode hard. Kinda like mine!
I'll ask him about the hours... I'd have thought the opposite. I'd have thought high miles and low hours = used on the street rather than trails, which would theoretically be easier on it than 3-5k worth of hard crawling or riding at the dunes..

· Premium Member
373 Posts
9000km??? = 5600mi...a little better maybe

· Registered
765 Posts
agreed as mentioned above, I would steer clear unless you can pick it up in the 3500 range. I have heard of guys buying new 2012s out the door under 10g and as mentioned without having any idea what has been done to that machine you could easily spend 3 or 4 thousand on it in a short period of time.
My machine has 2500 ish miles on it (08 that i bought late in 09) and I think thats a lot of miles. But I tore it down to do an 840 this weekend and the cylinders look perfect not even a scar in them. But 9000 miles it would be hard for me to believe it either has not been rebuilt or isnt gonna need it soon.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to pass on it. Whoever mentioned the prices of new ones first helped make that call. There's a brand new 09 leftover for sale locally for $7800, and I think I could get it even lower than that, because there's also a dealer here selling brand new 2012's for $8799. Pretty hard to even consider buying the high mile one for only 2k less than I can probably buy a brand new one.

· Registered
4 Posts
The Teryx engine is a 90 degree water cooled V- twin. With proper maintenance these engines can approach and at times exceed 100k miles before an overhaul. It's the other parts that tend to be more neglected. The differentials, wet clutch CVT etc... but if these components are not neglected and repaired or replaced at the first sign of trouble the 800cc teryx can have a long and happy life! 😀

1 - 19 of 19 Posts