Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

UTV Vernacular

852 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Andy> 
#1 ·
Is there somewhere I can get the UTV vernacular in one place? I get confused on the terminology. An example is with suspension and lifting and/or spacing for the tires. I really love my knew Teryx and I want to upgrade it as my budget allows. I want to keep the EOM tires and rims for now. I would like to lift it 2 inches as inexpensive as possible. Set myself up for more upgrades down the road: shocks, tires, etc.

I just don't have the money right now to do a ton of upgrades at once. Any suggestions? Are there diagrams anywhere with the proper terminology?

Thanks in advance,
Calvin

#2 ·
There is not a specific site for UTV/ATV's. I will include one that is off road in general and includes most of the terms used here. One description and diagram that is used frequently is wheel offset so I am including a diagram that shows what it means and how to determine it.

Diagram Text

#4 ·
I went with this NOT made in china lift Kawasaki You don't need wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels.I'm running the stock 14" with 27" bighorns. I put about 100 miles on before the lift and 500 since with no problems or worn out ball joints or wheel bearings. I didn't notice much difference and haven't rolled it yet but probably could if I drove like a retard. I prefer to keep mine narrow so it'll fit in my truck and I ride narrow trails where squeeze through trees as it is. If I rode mostly old roads,cut lines or dunes I'd go wider in a heartbeat.

#5 ·
How difficult of an install is it? Would I be able to get 28" or 30" tires on it with no problems down the road?
I went with this NOT made in china lift Kawasaki You don't need wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels.I'm running the stock 14" with 27" bighorns. I put about 100 miles on before the lift and 500 since with no problems or worn out ball joints or wheel bearings. I didn't notice much difference and haven't rolled it yet but probably could if I drove like a retard. I prefer to keep mine narrow so it'll fit in my truck and I ride narrow trails where squeeze through trees as it is. If I rode mostly old roads,cut lines or dunes I'd go wider in a heartbeat.

#6 · (Edited)
Simple enough. Had to drill a hole in each control arm though. I don't know about 30's? I would hope 28's would fit. I may try 28x10 all around if I change tires.
Another option if you're looking to go with bigger tires down the road would be offset control arms. They'd give you some clearance and allow you to run bigger tires.

Or go with aftermarket shocks and eliminate the need for a 2" lift. There are a lot of options you could go with.

For me I have the 2" lift stock tires. That's good enough for me. I wouldn't go with anything bigger than 28" without getting clutch work. I've gotten mine in spots where I couldn't back up more than once with the stock tires. But I sometimes have 800lb of people and cargo loading it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.