Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
This question is for anyone that knows. I was told that the Teryx carbs are down draft vacuum fed. Meaning there has to be sufficient back pressure from the air box in order for the carbs to work properly. Has anyone done any testing with air filters and air box set ups on Kawi's 750 quad. I would be interested in what effect going to a high flow filter has on the motor fuel draw condition. Such as going lean on top end due to non sufficient vacuum draw. Maybe I was given bad info and it's not an issue at all I just don't want to hurt my motor.

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about that one, I ordered a few of the velocity kits for the teryx, rhino 700, and the rzr. The instructions arent ready for the teryx kits yet so they kind of told me what to do via email, they did say to completely remove the air box...I hope there are no issues with no air box. I guess I will find out in a few days.

·
Registered
314 Posts
you can put on a K&N style air cleaner, but you must rejet it. The fuel supply will not lean out, because they have have a vaccume operated fuel pump.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for the info.. Thats probably what the tech told me but I must have miss understood him...:)

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea on where to start for jetting with a slip on pipe, VDI, and air filter?

·
Official Booyaa Crew Member
166 Posts
This question is for anyone that knows. I was told that the Teryx carbs are down draft vacuum fed. Meaning there has to be sufficient back pressure from the air box in order for the cards to work properly. Has anyone done any testing with air filters and what effect they have on the motor running conditions that may be induced. Such as going lean on top end due to non sufficient fuel draw. Maybe I was given bad info and it's not an issue at all.
all carbs are vacuum fed!

·
Registered
308 Posts
This question is for anyone that knows. I was told that the Teryx carbs are down draft vacuum fed. Meaning there has to be sufficient back pressure from the air box in order for the cards to work properly. Has anyone done any testing with air filters and what effect they have on the motor running conditions that may be induced. Such as going lean on top end due to non sufficient fuel draw. Maybe I was given bad info and it's not an issue at all.
You are correct! The V-Twin Kawie quads work best with 12 1" holes in the lid/airbox area. When you remove the whole lid they do not produce enough pressure to run correct. It has been tested several times on a dyno, the best airbox mods are the holes and high flow filter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You are correct! The V-Twin Kawie quads work best with 12 1" holes in the lid/airbox area. When you remove the whole lid they do not produce enough pressure to run correct. It has been tested several times on a dyno, the best airbox mods are the holes and high flow filter.
So drill 12 1" holes in the lid put a high flow filter and your good to go? Do you have to rejet? Sorry for the questions but I am new a this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is my answer from Mike @ Velocity Air filters
"When running our Velocity filter there is enough back pressure to run the fuel pump properly. We have tested the system here in the San Diego area(testing at Octillio Wells to be exact) where we are located. We are at sea level which a has natural atmospheric pressure of 14.7 lbf. The Teryx operates at a much lower pressure than that which allows the diaphram the operate( Oscillate)and pump the fuel. We do recommend that you go one bigger on the main jet and shim the needle one postion higher to prevent lean running. Without it, it will oscillate to fast and not pump fuel properly. We have gained 7 more horsepower by installing our kit onto the Teryx. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.........Mike-Velocity

--- Just so you know he got back to me with in minutes of me asking my questions.
Hope this info helps others...

·
Registered
6 Posts
7 hp from a air filter come on be real you might get 1 to 1.5 but 7 thats bull.... 7 from a pipe yes the aftermarket needs to be more real on hp gains.... hmf claimed 12 hp on the kfx 700 and it realy only made 5.... i hate fibbers!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts