Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Teryx
My voltmeter reads 12.7 when key on and not started. Once running it reads 14.7. No accessories on. Machine starts and runs great.
Is this an indication my battery is near end of life?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It’s a 12volt system. When it’s running it probably puts out more than 12v so you can run some accessories.
I’m sure your good. I may be wrong but I’d say anything over 10v on a 12v battery your good to go.
I also have a bolt meter. I’m curious how low you can take it and still start the machine. It would be good to know incase your listening to music and see it going down not to pass a certain level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I start it daily and generally run w little or no accessories
It will run over 14V and there is a warning light on the gauge

·
Registered
2021 Teryx Base
32 Posts
2014 Teryx
My voltmeter reads 12.7 when key on and not started. Once running it reads 14.7. No accessories on. Machine starts and runs great.
Is this an indication my battery is near end of life?
Your battery appears fine at this point based on those numbers. The resting 12.7v indicates a 100% charge. The 14.7v while running indicates the bike is properly feeding the battery/system power.

I attached a graphic of battery levels for reference. Best to keep the stock lead acid battery as close to fully charged as possible at all times (lithium and others have different/less restrictive requirements). Letting yours get below 50% (12.06v) will likely permanently damage the battery and its longevity.

There are many more things to say about this others can chime in with but I hope that's a baseline that answers your question.

Font Line Parallel Technology Number

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
As said above those numbers are normal for any 12 volt system on a car, truck, SxS, whatever. As far as the comment about a battery having 10 volts.....well, that means the battery is completely dead. With the engine off a battery generally has at least 12 volts in it, and if you get into the 11 volt range it may not have enough juice to start the engine. The stator (alternator on cars) typically puts out in the 14 volt range with the engine running. That is because of several factors, including that it has to charge the battery (you consume power when you start the engine and it needs replenished), and you are constantly drawing power so it has to put out more than what the battery has or you will drain the battery (simply having the engine running draws power, and then add in any accessories like a stereo or lights).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your battery appears fine at this point based on those numbers. The resting 12.7v indicates a 100% charge. The 14.7v while running indicates the bike is properly feeding the battery/system power.

I attached a graphic of battery levels for reference. Best to keep the stock lead acid battery as close to fully charged as possible at all times (lithium and others have different/less restrictive requirements). Letting yours get below 50% (12.06v) will likely permanently damage the battery and its longevity.

There are many more things to say about this others can chime in with but I hope that's a baseline that answers your question.

View attachment 64737
Wow. Thanks for the info
I was plowing driveway today and machine just died. Absolutely no electrical.
gladly I was close to garage. So put the charger on for a couple hours and it read full charge.
Started right up so I could get blade up and put in garage. Voltmeter reads same 12.7 when not running and 14.3 when running. All connections good. Battery looks fine. Think replace it or have charging system checked.

·
Registered
2021 Teryx Base
32 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the info
I was plowing driveway today and machine just died. Absolutely no electrical.
gladly I was close to garage. So put the charger on for a couple hours and it read full charge.
Started right up so I could get blade up and put in garage. Voltmeter reads same 12.7 when not running and 14.3 when running. All connections good. Battery looks fine. Think replace it or have charging system checked.
I don't have a plow on the Teryx but when I had one on the ATV, I heard that constantly using a winch consumes more electric than the bike can supply to keep running the winch and recharge the battery so you have to kinda give it breaks to build power back up. Check that voltmeter while plowing to monitor if volts drop low on that chart during operating the winch.

Please, someone with experience confirm/debunk winch sucking power as a possibility why a machine would loose power and shut off plowing when battery charge steadily reads full at rest on a voltmeter as @Pumper99 is indicating. @VirginiaHawk has plowed over the years and I think has a voltmeter on the dash and may be able to offer insight.

Certainly could be bike charging system problem but I am not familiar enough to comment on that and will defer to other's troubleshooting and feedback.

Hope this gets cleared up quick for ya! I missed the window to put a plow on for this years' snow but will work towards getting one for next year!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a plow on the Teryx but when I had one on the ATV, I heard that constantly using a winch consumes more electric than the bike can supply to keep running the winch and recharge the battery so you have to kinda give it breaks to build power back up. Check that voltmeter while plowing to monitor if volts drop low on that chart during operating the winch.

Please, someone with experience confirm/debunk winch sucking power as a possibility why a machine would loose power and shut off plowing when battery charge steadily reads full at rest on a voltmeter as @Pumper99 is indicating. @VirginiaHawk has plowed over the years and I think has a voltmeter on the dash and may be able to offer insight.

Certainly could be bike charging system problem but I am not familiar enough to comment on that and will defer to other's troubleshooting and feedback.

Hope this gets cleared up quick for ya! I missed the window to put a plow on for this years' snow but will work towards getting one for next year!
Thanks for the help. The battery is 13 months old and just out of warranty, of course. It wasn’t a cheap one. Looks like I will probably just have to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,508 Posts
@East Coast Weekender is correct, I do plow with my Teryx. I have never had a problem with battery drain though. I did a couple of small parking lots last week and was plowing non-stop for an hour and a half with the winch constantly going up and down and never had a problem.

There have been discussions on this board in the past about adding big winches and installing second batteries to support them. My winch is rated at just #3000 pounds which is still about twice what my machine weighs. I've pulled myself up several hills I couldn't climb and never had a problem with it. Others will tell you that you would be a fool to have anything less than a #5000 but I disagree. Bigger winches draw more power and kill your battery faster. And for me, I've never been in any situation where I wished I had more winch.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Theoretically you could drain the battery when using the winch to raise and lower the snowplow, especially if the battery or charging system was not at 100%. Though a lot of people run plows on their machines without any issues. My dad has used ATV's and SxS's for 20+ years plowing snow with the stock batteries and electrical systems and don't believe he has every had an issue with draining the battery.
I'm really not sure how much power it takes to raise the blade on a typical SxS snowplow setup. The answer is not quite as simple as how much force to lift the blade straight up as the winch line is definitely not at the optimum angle. It would take more power because of the angle of the line. For reference, a Warn 3500 winch is rated to pull 20 amps at zero load (such as lowering the blade), but draws 60 amps 1,000 lbs. load. Raising the blade only takes a few seconds and I wouldn't think running the winch for a few seconds during plowing would drain the battery.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts

I had an old crappy grizzly 600 years ago. The headlights sucked so I strapped one of those giant 130watt spot lights to the front rack and went on a night ride. Eventually it just drained the battery. It still ran but every time I shut it off I'd have to pull start it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a really good battery. Voltmeter reads same. So I guess this is normal. No snow yet to plow to try it out. But at least I have eliminated one variable and I know I have reliable power. If it quits now I will look for a connection problem.
thanks for all the help everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts