Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just found out that Kaw doesn't want to pay for another motor to get rebuilt. We still have a waranty and our teryx is only 5 months old, 62 hours, and has been in the shop getting fixed more than we have been able to ride it due to the motor not holding up. We have to wait until Monday before we can call Kaw but the dealer that we took our teryx to told us flat out that they locked the motor up from driving it around to see if they could find out what was wrong with it. We shouldn't have to pay for something they did. Yes the motor was knocking but they were the one's to lock it up and do more damage. I'm not saying this is a bad machine. I just think I got a lemon motor and kaw don't want to deal with it. Sure glad I didn't buy the extended waranty yet that would have made me really sick.

·
Registered
136 Posts
engine failure

Hi, this is sad to hear but I'm happy that I'm not the only one. My engine failed and Kawasaki is saying they will not cover it either. Rotten people who get paid and want to give nothing in return. Where do you live and what dealership did you buy from. I am taking mine to another dealer tomorrow who I spoke with last week and they told me that you have to fight and not take no for an answer. I live in arizona and bought mine from Kelly's Kawasaki. They are horrible people. I am taking it to Kawasaki Superstore, they said they could help me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Intresting there are so many bad stories on kellys kawasaki I keep reading/writing. There should be a post on this store about shitty experiences. Glad there is finally a store (kawasaki superstore) that joined us on here and wants a postive experience.

·
Shoot first and often...
49 Posts
Why wont they warranty the engine, their reasons? Sounds like bull$hit to me... maybe I will buy another brand if this continues! R U LISTENING KAWASAKI???

·
Registered
140 Posts
We really need to coordinate some data, things like:
-hours & miles?
-any modifications? what airbox?
-what kind of terrain?
-was any there blantant abuse?

Sand would leave a very obvious galling, followed by a spun bearing. What do the rods, valves, top of piston, cylinder bores, etc. look like? Pics of the failure would be outstanding. Maybe there was a bad batch of blocks or other part. Are all the engines built in the same location? Does Kawasaki have any known changes? Just seems wierd that several have popped up recently.

Hey sponsors, have you seen any problems?

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
they need to give a specific reason why. burden of proof should be on them!

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine is in the shop now for work on something i'm not even sure. i think it was the belt that broke but now i'm wondering about the motor. when it happened i was on flat ground and it made a couple loud clunks and died. is that what happens when the belt breaks? then i started it in neutral and it clunked just idling so i shut it off. this happened thurs, took it in yesturday and haven't heard anything from them yet. i will keep you posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just found out that Kaw doesn't want to pay for another motor to get rebuilt. We still have a waranty and our teryx is only 5 months old, 62 hours, and has been in the shop getting fixed more than we have been able to ride it due to the motor not holding up. We have to wait until Monday before we can call Kaw but the dealer that we took our teryx to told us flat out that they locked the motor up from driving it around to see if they could find out what was wrong with it. We shouldn't have to pay for something they did. Yes the motor was knocking but they were the one's to lock it up and do more damage. I'm not saying this is a bad machine. I just think I got a lemon motor and kaw don't want to deal with it. Sure glad I didn't buy the extended waranty yet that would have made me really sick.
sorry to hear about that man. I wish i could help but your just to far for me to try and pull some strings. you can bring it to me so we can take care of it. lol Like i said before its pretty much up to kawi to warranty it but i think you should maybe ask a few other deals around your area to see if they are willing to help you out. I'm not saying it should be fix for sure cause i dont know the whole story or get to diag it myself but in more cases then not it should be covered. good luck man hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think the biggest problem for all of us owners/prospected buyers is it seems that bewteen some dealerships and kawasaki they are runing a custormer relationship which is worth more then anything.Most people ride in groups and are aware of each others machines and the problems they have. I have had and ride with alot of different machines.......rzr s/rhinos/teryxs/redlines/rangers (piece of shit)/etc.If you could make kawasaki aware of this and even refer to this site,Let them read through. Im not saying its all kawasakis fault but they seem as if there are warranting next to nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
kellys kawasaki responds

I have to stand up and make the facts known. My name is Dave Hillman and I am the service manager at Kelly’s Kawasaki. My Service dept. has been slandered on this forum without our side of the story. What I am going to post is a complete history of both gofast480 and Elwood’s situations. Any one who has questions I encourage you to ask and I will answer. I have read a lot of assumptions on the way we do business that need to be addressed. It was posted that we only get paid $45 per hour for warranty work instead of the $74 shop rate, implying that we are trying to deny warranty so we can make more money. The facts are that we get paid the same $74 if its a retail customer or warranty. Kawasaki even pays us 25% on the parts they send to us to install. So we make the same money either way. I have read that we don’t even want to do warranty work, but as I have been told by Kawasaki for the last 5 years my dealership has the highest dollar per unit ratio of any dealer in the nation. We spend more of Kawasaki’s warranty money than any dealer in the world. So to say we don’t like warranty work is a joke. I have read about how we dealers and Kawasaki look for aftermarket parts as an excuse to deny warranty coverage, this couldn't be further from the truth. The reasons that Elwood and gofast got their claims denied has nothing to do with aftermarket parts. In the 10 years I have been doing this I have never had a warranty claim denied due to aftermarket parts, and I do a lot of warranty work. Kawasaki doesn't care if you modify your vehicle, as long as those mods don’t cause a failure of oem parts. Kawasaki knows what the customer does when they buy a unit, that is why they sell aftermarket parts. But their problems again have nothing to do with aftermarket parts, it has everything to do with maintenance. So lets start with gofast480. He brings in his unit straight from the dunes covered in sand and dirt complaining that his unit wont start. I pretty much knew right away what was going on as I have seen many atvs and dirt bikes come in with destroyed valve trains due to dirt getting into the motor. I told him we would get a look at it and I would call him shortly. So me and the tech go to take a look at it, pop off the center cover and find a bone-dry k&n and lots of sand in the air box. We pulled the filter off and sure enough we found sand stuck all over the inside of the intake boot. We did a compression test which found to be a little over 10 lbs in each cylinder. I called Kawasaki’s warranty dept and told them I have a Teryx with low compression and the first thing they ask is what is the air filter status (the guys at Kawasaki are not stupid and they deal with this everyday). Just so everybody is on the same page I run a honest service dept and I am not going to lie to Kawasaki and jeopardize my relationship with Kawasaki as some dealerships are willing to do, our integrity is worth a lot us. I explained what we found and was told to get the customers authorization to tear it down and call back with a full assessment and parts list. I called gofast and explained what we found, that Kawasaki wants to have the unit torn down to inspect the valves and cylinder head and what else might be damaged. I explained that if Kawasaki will not cover the repairs the customer will be responsible for the cost to take the motor apart as I have to pay my tech. After some hesitation he agreed, we took the heads off found the valves to be worn heavily and the valve seats pitted from the sand that entered the motor. We even found sand still sitting on the stems of the intake valves. I called Kawasaki and explained what we found and was told that due to a lack of air filter maintenance the claim would be denied. The reasoning behind this is as such, the valves and seats are not defective parts, they are damaged as sand gets caught between them when they close and wears away the material of the valve and seat. The valves then loose their clearance and you have no compression. Since Kawasaki didn’t put the dirt in the motor, they are not responsible to repair it. It is the owners responsibility to keep dirt out by servicing the air filter frequently and correctly. Kawasaki doesn’t care how you keep the dirt out, you could use a sock covered in oil for all they care, but if you let the dirt in its not their problem anymore. If he had a clean, well-oiled air filter of any kind and the dirt got past it, the damage would have been covered. But since the customer could not hold up his end of owning a machine and keep the filter in good shape Kawasaki is not going to make up for his negligence. I called and told him the coverage was going to be denied and explained the reason why. He became angry I gave him the reference number for the claim and told him to call Kawasaki. After a few calls back and forth I called my Kawasaki field service rep. He tells me that warranty doesn’t want to cover the damage but that he wants my opinion, I said I felt bad for the guy and asked if they would cover the parts only and the customer would pay the labor (which I discounted 2 hours to help the guy out) and they said they would. So I get Kawasaki to pay for his parts in a goodwill gesture, discount his labor $150 and he then proceeds to bash us, claiming we took him for a thousand dollars. Its BS that I help this guy out and then he bad mouths us like he has.

·
Registered
17 Posts
kellys kawasaki responds

On to Elwood. His teryx is dropped off at the shop making a loud knocking noise as soon as the cvt engages. We called Kawasaki and asked what issues they had and we were told to get the customers authorization to look at the clutch and call back. My service writer called told him we would need 2 hours labor authorized (not the 1 hour he claims) so we can check it out and if we find something not covered by warranty he will pay for the cost to diagnose the problem. He did not understand at first why we needed his authorization but we explained it and he agreed that that was fair. We inspected the cvt found nothing wrong. With the clutch off the noise would still occur so we knew it was in the motor. We called Kawasaki back and told them the noise is coming from what sounds like the bottom end they tell us to get the customers authorization to tear down the motor and find out what is going on. My service writer calls Elwood and explains its in the motor and we need him to authorize 10 hours of labor to remove the motor and split it down to the cases and that if its not covered under warranty he would owe $820 to diagnose the problem. He did not understand again the labor authorization so I personally called him and explained what the process was and that it would be $820 if its not covered and after a little hesitation he agreed and we proceeded on the diagnosis. It is important to note that this diagnosis charge is simply an estimate of 50% of the labor to complete the job. If Elwood was to complete the repair with us, this would be credited towards the total labor cost for the job. As we took the air box lid off we found one the worst air filters I have seen in 10 years. It was so packed with sand that you could barely even see the wire mesh of the filter in most places. I have provided pics so everybody can verify. We find a layer of sand all through the air box, carbs, and intake tract. So we tear it down completely (cases split) and find that the front cylinder rod bearing has failed. The damaged parts include the rod, crankshaft, pistons, and the left hand crank bearing has some minor burrs aswell. Sand could even be clearly seen in the oil! NOTE: This motor uses plain bearings not roller bearings and the plain bearings do not allow the clearance for any foreign material and will be destroyed if exposed to sand where a roller bearing is somewhat more tolerant to debris. We called Kawasaki and told them of the rod bearing failure, the first thing warranty says is what did the air filter look like? We said that it was packed with sand and that sand could be seen past the filter and throughout the intake tract. They responded with “sand is hell on plain bearings, I need to see pics of the air filter and piston skirts. I am not necessarily denying the claim at this point but I need evidence to back my decision either way we go”. I have included the same photos that were sent to Kawasaki warranty. We sent the photos and Kawasaki later called back and said that it will not be covered due to the condition of the air filter and the evidence of sand inside the motor (piston skirt scratches). I called the customer and explained what happened. I gave him the numbers to Kawasaki and told him to call them as they are the ones who denied the claim. He calls back very pissed off basically stating that I slandered his case to Kawasaki and wants to come pick it up. I tell him that’s fine we will box it up and he will owe the $820 to tear down the motor. He shows up at our dealership yelling at the top of his lungs about how shitty we are and making a huge scene in the store, after 20 minutes he finally calms down, we explained in detail what happened and why its not covered, not once did I get the impression that he understood the technical explanation. He paid his bill in full and we loaded him up. Now today he calls demanding we refund $670 to him because “someone he knows who works at a dealer said it only takes 2 hours to teardown a teryx motor” I explained that he authorized the $820 to tear it down and he has to pay for services rendered. He starts getting angry so I asked if he would come down to the dealership and the GM Jeff Chapman and I will discuss it and see what we can work out. He shows up and continues to go on about how it only takes 2 hours to teardown a teryx motor, we explained the warranty rate for this job is over 20 hours and that it takes a full day to remove the motor, tear it down, and inspect everything for damage. He then claims that he was never told about the $820 teardown fee which is a bold lie as my service writer had to have me call and explain because he didn’t understand the first time. Then he says he will post on the forums about how bad we are at that he is going to picket our dealership every time he has nothing to do unless we offer him some kind of payment to shut up. Well we don’t take to kindly to blackmail and told him as such. He did not like being called out on his scam and he left. Sure enough an hour later he is out on our sidewalk parading around with his sign and that is his right.

So the facts do not support either one of their cases. There is no conspiracy to deny legitimate warranty claims as we get paid the same either way. The only thing going on here is two guys who don’t understand the necessary maintenance on their high performance machines. They screwed up by not keeping the dirt out of the motor and did not want to be responsible for there actions. There is no fault for us or Kawasaki and any reasonable person will understand after seeing the evidence provided. If anyone has any questions or comments please post. I want to make it very clear about what is going on.

Attachments

·
chickabowow
1,224 Posts
Bring up the fact of how many days its been in dealer for work, of so when you took it in it would run but knock right? they have it and test driving it they blew it up? that falls on shop if a shop enmployee is drivingor rideing and it crasehgs does the customer pay for that? HELL NO dealer should cover your damage not you man same with you motor its in there possesion there responsibilty

·
www.fatboyatv*****
226 Posts
not true. if he took it in and they crashed it that would be one thing because it wasnt crashed when he brought it in.but it was already blown up it could have locked up just as easy backing it off the trailer.my point is depending on the root cause of the failure it should be kawis bill not the dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
so they tell me that my belt pully has some "missing" teeth and the belt broke which also broke a plastic pully cover. then they said one of the machanics got on the phone with kawi warrenty. i guess he told them that the belt pully was flawed and had cracked teeth which broke off and then caused the belt to break which broke the plastic cover. so... fortunately they are doing all they can for me, which is appreciated, and got warrenty to cover everything, even the belt. so i think that the chatter i was hearing when i accelerated was the broken teeth making the belt slip and then it finally just broke the belt. i dont know, well anyways it should be done next week and i'll be back in business.

if anyone is curious where i go, its in ontario oregon and the stores called edge performance. they seem to be willing to do as much as they can for you.

On to Elwood. His teryx is dropped off at the shop making a loud knocking noise as soon as the cvt engages. We called Kawasaki and asked what issues they had and we were told to get the customers authorization to look at the clutch and call back. My service writer called told him we would need 2 hours labor authorized (not the 1 hour he claims) so we can check it out and if we find something not covered by warranty he will pay for the cost to diagnose the problem. He did not understand at first why we needed his authorization but we explained it and he agreed that that was fair. We inspected the cvt found nothing wrong. With the clutch off the noise would still occur so we knew it was in the motor. We called Kawasaki back and told them the noise is coming from what sounds like the bottom end they tell us to get the customers authorization to tear down the motor and find out what is going on. My service writer calls Elwood and explains its in the motor and we need him to authorize 10 hours of labor to remove the motor and split it down to the cases and that if its not covered under warranty he would owe $820 to diagnose the problem. He did not understand again the labor authorization so I personally called him and explained what the process was and that it would be $820 if its not covered and after a little hesitation he agreed and we proceeded on the diagnosis. It is important to note that this diagnosis charge is simply an estimate of 50% of the labor to complete the job. If Elwood was to complete the repair with us, this would be credited towards the total labor cost for the job. As we took the air box lid off we found one the worst air filters I have seen in 10 years. It was so packed with sand that you could barely even see the wire mesh of the filter in most places. I have provided pics so everybody can verify. We find a layer of sand all through the air box, carbs, and intake tract. So we tear it down completely (cases split) and find that the front cylinder rod bearing has failed. The damaged parts include the rod, crankshaft, pistons, and the left hand crank bearing has some minor burrs aswell. Sand could even be clearly seen in the oil! NOTE: This motor uses plain bearings not roller bearings and the plain bearings do not allow the clearance for any foreign material and will be destroyed if exposed to sand where a roller bearing is somewhat more tolerant to debris. We called Kawasaki and told them of the rod bearing failure, the first thing warranty says is what did the air filter look like? We said that it was packed with sand and that sand could be seen past the filter and throughout the intake tract. They responded with “sand is hell on plain bearings, I need to see pics of the air filter and piston skirts. I am not necessarily denying the claim at this point but I need evidence to back my decision either way we go”. I have included the same photos that were sent to Kawasaki warranty. We sent the photos and Kawasaki later called back and said that it will not be covered due to the condition of the air filter and the evidence of sand inside the motor (piston skirt scratches). I called the customer and explained what happened. I gave him the numbers to Kawasaki and told him to call them as they are the ones who denied the claim. He calls back very pissed off basically stating that I slandered his case to Kawasaki and wants to come pick it up. I tell him that’s fine we will box it up and he will owe the $820 to tear down the motor. He shows up at our dealership yelling at the top of his lungs about how shitty we are and making a huge scene in the store, after 20 minutes he finally calms down, we explained in detail what happened and why its not covered, not once did I get the impression that he understood the technical explanation. He paid his bill in full and we loaded him up. Now today he calls demanding we refund $670 to him because “someone he knows who works at a dealer said it only takes 2 hours to teardown a teryx motor” I explained that he authorized the $820 to tear it down and he has to pay for services rendered. He starts getting angry so I asked if he would come down to the dealership and the GM Jeff Chapman and I will discuss it and see what we can work out. He shows up and continues to go on about how it only takes 2 hours to teardown a teryx motor, we explained the warranty rate for this job is over 20 hours and that it takes a full day to remove the motor, tear it down, and inspect everything for damage. He then claims that he was never told about the $820 teardown fee which is a bold lie as my service writer had to have me call and explain because he didn’t understand the first time. Then he says he will post on the forums about how bad we are at that he is going to picket our dealership every time he has nothing to do unless we offer him some kind of payment to shut up. Well we don’t take to kindly to blackmail and told him as such. He did not like being called out on his scam and he left. Sure enough an hour later he is out on our sidewalk parading around with his sign and that is his right.

So the facts do not support either one of their cases. There is no conspiracy to deny legitimate warranty claims as we get paid the same either way. The only thing going on here is two guys who don’t understand the necessary maintenance on their high performance machines. They screwed up by not keeping the dirt out of the motor and did not want to be responsible for there actions. There is no fault for us or Kawasaki and any reasonable person will understand after seeing the evidence provided. If anyone has any questions or comments please post. I want to make it very clear about what is going on.
i would have to say the pics say it all. i take the time to play but when i'm done i also take the time to have the proper service done. its only logic that if you want you machine to work for you, you have to keep things maintained. dont take me the wrong way, the situation sucks but the fault is obvious!

·
Registered
15 Posts
First of all I have to say I feel for both the customer and the service shop. But looking at these pictures there should be no way any shop should warranty this. There is clear neglect of maintinence, and honnesty it makes me a little upset somebody would expect this to be covered. Stuff like this makes it harder for others, who maintane there machines properly to get there machines covered under wannanty. This is the reason why manurfactures have to protect themselves. Hopefully if this machine gets fixed, proper maintenance will be performed, and hopefully lesson learned.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts