Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been shopping for a winch for my new ride and the Axon caught my eye but I couldn’t confirm if it would fit or not. I contacted Warn to see if the bolt pattern was the same as the VRX to see if it would at least work with a mount that I know would work. The rep from Warn returned my email and he’s telling me that the Axon will not fit my ride bit the bolt pattern was the same as the VRX. But if you look at the measurements on both the Axon and the VRX THEY ARE WITHIN 5-6 hundreths of each other in length and width.
I went ahead and purchased the Axon 35 because I just had to satisfy my curiosity since I couldn’t find any info anywhere to see if it would work, I’ll have to report back after I give it a try.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the extra images, no idea why it posted it 3 times but the last 2 show the measurements I’m talking about (a) and (b)

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
362 Posts
That's a nice winch, let us know how it goes. I used a SATV winch mount on mine, which mounts it up higher than the "stock" location but I can't see you having any issues with fitment on the machine. Other than the plastic housing I think the only difference in those two winches is the gear ratio and line speed, the Axon being quite a bit faster than the VRX. And the Axon draws more amps but at load I think the difference is fairly minimal in that aspect.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
636 Posts
A friend installed a new axon 5500 on his commander before our last trip. It did have power, but it had 50' of 1/4 steel cable that bunched up after a 10' angled pull and started chewing up the casing on it. It has some fancy winch control switch that changes colors as the load and voltage changes(or something like that). So you're stuck having to buy warn switches and warn wireless remote controls if you choose that route down the road. The nice thing is the solenoid is built into the winch so no need to mount a solenoid, though it's not a big deal anyways.

I'm happy with the 3500( Pro vantage s) warn that came with mine(and kfi winch mount). The only problem I've had was a broken drum after winching over and over and over and never properly re-spooling the line. I've never stalled it out and I alway ride loaded down with people and/or cargo.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
362 Posts
It did have power, but it had 50' of 1/4 steel cable that bunched up after a 10' angled pull and started chewing up the casing on it.
yeah, I would definitely change it over to synthetic if you didn't get the S model. You could swap a 50' aftermarket synthetic rope on it and a hawse fairlead for cheaper than paying the extra $100 or whatever it is through Warn I'm sure. Personally, I'll never go back to a steel cable on any winch I own.

Reactions: Andy>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the reasons I wanted to try the Axon was the Bluetooth setup that you can use an app on your phone to run the winch, the VRX also has an add on Bluetooth to work with the app also, and what looks like a lot less wires to run too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I would definitely change it over to synthetic if you didn't get the S model. You could swap a 50' aftermarket synthetic rope on it and a hawse fairlead for cheaper than paying the extra $100 or whatever it is through Warn I'm sure. Personally, I'll never go back to a steel cable on any winch I own.
That is my plan after the cable goes south.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
636 Posts
One of the reasons I wanted to try the Axon was the Bluetooth setup that you can use an app on your phone to run the winch, the VRX also has an add on Bluetooth to work with the app also, and what looks like a lot less wires to run too.
Gotcha. I just used a cheap stock looking switch in the dash to run the winch. Then after seeing a friend that had the warn wireless remote I looked into that route. But I'm cheap and just found some cheapo wireless winch setups on amazon for $20 with 2 remotes. They work great as long as you make sure the receiver box is sealed up. My first one died after 1 year. The newest one I bought comes already sealed in some electrical epoxy shmooh so it should last longer. I don't have to worry about dropping my overpriced phone in the mud this way.

For wiring, it's not as bad as it looks. Run 2 wires from the battery to a solenoid/relay. Run 2 wires from that relay to the winch. Then run 2 tiny wires from that relay to whatever kind of switch you choose to use. And tap into a keyed power wire like the cig lighter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure of difference in diminsions between the AXON-35 and the AXON-55 but the AXON's are large overall. Using a SATV bumper and mounting ontop would be the way to go. It's additional cost but you have lots of room to mount the winch.

My experince mounting the 55 on the bottom frame mount was a no go with factory tube bumper. I tried several different maker's mount without success.

I did get the AXON mounted mid height using the SATV mount. It is doable with fabrication and still use the factory tube bumper.

I agree with Andy about the steel cable bunching up and chewing on the housing. The AXON's are enclosed over the cable drum with little clearance for cable pile up.

I'm onboard with huntertim214 for changing out steel cable to aftermarket synthetic rope. Winch does draw a lot of amps, enough to kill a three year old battery. I was stuck pretty good in mud and water, I did get out though.

Have you contacted WARN they have to say? Give them a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts