Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys... I think I f'ed up big time. I was working on the 17 Teryx 4 and was building a new hardtop. I also was installing the VTwin John clutch kit so the passenger seat/covers and middle "hump/shift" cover were removed to access the clutch. Clutch kit was installed and engine cranked and ran fine. Reinstalled the interior covers and seat. then worked on hard top. Did not crank it after I reinstalled the covers and seat.

I needed to weld a bracket to support the rear of the hardtop. The bracket was connected to the cage bolts and then connected to the hard top. I needed to run a 1" weld bead on the bracket. I'm usually really good with disconnecting the battery when I weld. But I forgot this time. I tacked the bracket in 4 places with the ground very close to the bracket. removed the bracket and finished the weld on a workbench. Installed the bracket and hardtop.

Went to crank up the Teryx and she runs like crap. Sounds like its cranking on 1 cylinder and idles very low and rough for 5 seconds and dies. For the 5 seconds the check engine light stays on. Won't take any gas in that 5 seconds... just dies if you tap the throttle. After 10 mins of scratching my head and trying 7 or 8 times... disconnected the battery and reconnected... no difference... Now i'm lost...

With only 4 tacks on the rollcage with a Mig... could I have screwed/fried my ECU? I want to say that's unlikely.
Perhaps I disconnected a wire or maybe a spark plug wire when reinstalling the hump/shifter cover? that seems REALLY unlikely.

Of course I don't have a spare ECU to throw on and test. So no way to know if the ECU is good and its a wiring issue.

What do yall think? ECU fried? Anyone heard of this happening from frame/cage welding?

Thoughts?

I'm going crazy here.

Colby

·
Registered
136 Posts
That sucks! Don't have an answer for you.I'd check for spark on both. Who knows might be lucky and just fouled one plug?
I rarely disconnect the battery when welding. Haven't had a problem like that yet. Just had to weld up a cat on a 2019 e450 some crack heads tried stealing the cat from last night, it still works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sucks! I can't imagine why you would forget to disconnect the battery what with it being in such a convenient spot and all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks! I can't imagine why you would forget to disconnect the battery what with it being in such a convenient spot and all.
It was one of those days where I had an hour to get some crap done and I was moving fast. It completely slipped my mind. I'm gonna pull Service codes and check them today. I'll let you guys know what I find. I am leaning more towards something else. I really can't imagine a few tacks on the cage frying the ECU.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. Checked my Service codes. 51 : Coil #1 Wiring open or short. I am assuming Coil #1 is front. This is actually good news as I was dreading code 39 ECU error. The front coil would make sense. I have read on the forum where guys have pinched wires when reinstalling the clutch cover. However, I cranked it up after the clutch cover was installed and cranked fine. Reinstalled all the interior panels and seat... and then installed the hard cover on the cage (and welded)... and then the issue cranking/running. So now my head is going to me knocking off a wire when I installed the center hump/shift cover. The front of that cover is a bit of a pain in the A$$ to get in place. If could #1 is the front coil... it makes sense that I could have broken a wire or something in the front trying to get that cover in place.

I will tear into it tonight and let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was one of those days where I had an hour to get some crap done and I was moving fast. It completely slipped my mind. I'm gonna pull Service codes and check them today. I'll let you guys know what I find. I am leaning more towards something else. I really can't imagine a few tacks on the cage frying the ECU.
Sorry, I was just being sarcastic about the battery location, I recently fought with it to add a aux fuse block

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I was just being sarcastic about the battery location, I recently fought with it to add a aux fuse block
Hi azwaterguy... its all good. It was 100% a stupid miss on my part. But in the end I think my issue is a broke or disconnected wire. So I am leaning away from the ECU issue caused by welding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved... and boy was it the best case scenario. I feel like such an idiot. I pulled the interior center/hump panel to check the Code 51 Coil #1 error. Hot wire on the coil was disconnected and about 1" from the prong on the coil. When I was reinstalling the center/hump panel I must have caught the wire and pulled it from the coil. Reconnected and it cranks right up no problems.

So problem solved... ECU is fine... Fix was free and now I'll be sure to watch for the wire when I install the center panel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's good news. Glad you got it figured, thanks for posting that. I'll likely end up doing the same one day lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts