Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

What breaks and what needs improvement

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BackwoodsMaine 
#1 ·
I worked for a outfit that rented TerTeryx's by the hour in the most brutal trail conditions in the heart of Missouri's Ozark Mountains to mostly beginners with a IDGAFK rental attitude..in other words they were severely abused.
Done things the factory needs to improve upon...
1. Duel row ballbearing hub bearings are junk. Need a duel row tapered roller bring to withstand side loads and impacts.

2. Some engines usedoil and smoked from day1 due to a plated nickasil cylinder finish over aluminum. SLEEVE THEM WITH STEEL..Remember the chevy vega recall?
3. Stop using Fox Struts. Weak think cheap crap
4. Make the front control arm mounting at the frame more substantial than 3/16 sheet metal. Tear rt off. And the control arm rear attaching bar from side to side is a joke.
5. Make the plastic body where it doesn't trap 300 lbs of sand, mud, Rock in between the panels and substructure.
6. Get rid of the ancient golf car style belt driven Cvt clutch and trans and put in some real gears and a clutch for Gods Sake!!!
We're adults not 8 yr olds on a briggs powered 3 wheeler.
Toss the steering gear and assist, get an automotive quality rack and pinion. I've replaced 20 this year and the gears are poorly refinedsteel with high siliconcontebt and very poor hardening. Strip out easy. The 2020 models may be improved, I haven't seen any those...

For umpteen thousand dollars you should have a machine that doesn't have multiple weaknesses made by a ChineseCompany with little experience in the Industry...

They rented theacan Qm Traxis as well,not alot better though engines lasted longer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Valid points I am sure, and your feedback is good to hear. I have talked to some rental places that rent Teryx and some say simular to you, but others say they rent Teryx because they last so much better than any other.

I currently have 3600 miles on mine. So far, I've had to change the belt, replace one wheel bearing, and replace the upper control arm bushings on the front only. I am now on my third set of front brakes, but the last set was ruined by the bearing failure. I do agree, that bearing design isn't very good, but other brands are just like it.

I've been very happy with the reliability of the Teryx. I bought it because I knew that of all the brands out there, this is the one most likely to get me back to camp at the end of the day. And so far, she has never failed to do that yet.

#3 ·
Valid points I am sure, and your feedback is good to hear. I have talked to some rental places that rent Teryx and some say simular to you, but others say they rent Teryx because they last so much better than any other.

I currently have 3600 miles on mine. So far, I've had to change the belt, replace one wheel bearing, and replace the upper control arm bushings on the front only. I am now on my third set of front brakes, but the last set was ruined by the bearing failure. I do agree, that bearing design isn't very good, but other brands are just like it.

I've been very happy with the reliability of the Teryx. I bought it because I knew that of all the brands out there, this is the one most likely to get me back to camp at the end of the day. And so far, she has never failed to do that yet.
I have 1000 miles on mine no issues yet, 35" tires since day one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.