1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If $18200 is what your asking for it then your probably not going to sell it. You can get them new for much less than that. Best advice would be to sell all the extras you have separately and drop the price. Even then your not going to get what you hope for.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If $18200 is what your asking for it then your probably not going to sell it. You can get them new for much less than that. Best advice would be to sell all the extras you have separately and drop the price. Even then your not going to get what you hope for.
Thanks Intow. FYI - that is via a dealership not private party. I would drop price for PP sale for serious buyer.

Unfortunately - not viable to strip it for parts as all the stock parts are already gone

As to what i had hoped for, that is now relative. I just want it to disappear at this point.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You may have better luck selling it through a dealership as they can usually secure financing for people in house. Still seams like it's just real hard to sell these things. It's a shame but everyone wants 100 horsepower now lol.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have to agree with the above concerning the price. for the same money you could buy a brand new one and still have around $3 grand to spend on parts. I understand you have more than that in aftermarket parts but that is the way people will look at it.

My friend buys and sells a lot of cars and bikes and has good luck with items like that on eBay. It's basically a specialty market for higher dollar items like that and you need a larger audience range than something like Craigslist.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Insurance is a wonderful thing

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The problem is that utv development is running at lightspeed. Anything older than a couple of years is probably only worth half of what you paid for it.

In addition, mods almost never add to value. Too many mods reduce it.

Sorry to bring the bad news.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sadly the price is what is probably keeping people away, you are priced above a new one and at that price you are competing with the high performance machines. Something that the Teryx is not.. Aftermarket parts are great but just like anything else, they are a personal preference and add almost $0 to resale value.. NADA is saying that it is worth between $10K on the low end to as high as $14k

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think your asking 5-7000 more than what it's worth in the California market. In this state most people want high speed, long travel etc. Your price is right at used RZR, Can Am and Arctic Cat 4 seat prices. Most people here run dunes/desert and for those that rock crawl our trails are shared with Jeeps so width is not an issue. Add on's don't mean much, most people like to customize to their tastes and without suspension (in this state) is going to be a tough sell.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would clean it up, spray the entire thing from top to bottom with WD 40 or something similar to make it shine and sparkle, and list it for sale on craigslist. You can list it on as many craigslist pages as you have time for ( in other words you don't have to limit yourself to just your local CL , you can put it up for sale in other cities CL too )

I would NOT list all the extras individually. I would just list a few key extras like " 50 inch lightbar, Winch , OEM storage box, Upgraded seats and seatbelts " and leave it at that. Anyone who knows what they are looking at will see it has a custom cage and other mods, and anyone who doesn't know that from looking at pictures would probably shy away from buying just because its been modified.

Personally unless it has real low hours and miles, I wouldn't even list that. Just put in the ad that it is in excellent condition and you won't be disappointed. If a potential buyer cares about how many miles or hours it has they will ask you.

Then the issue to work out is price. I am a firm believer in doing some soul searching before you place a ad, and think of the absolute lowest price you would consider taking. Whatever that price is, you either list it for that price.... and tell anyone who wants to discuss price or negotiate that you listed for the lowest price you can take and its a firm price.... or you add 2-4 hundred dollars to your absolute lowest price and allow the buyer to talk you down that 2-4 hundred just so they feel like they got over on you and got a deal.

The lower the listed price, the more overall interest you will get. For example, if you really feel like you would take 12 grand even, if you list it for 14,500$ knowing you will take 12, there may be some potential buyers who skip over your ad and or don't even bother contacting you, because there are very few people out there who would come off 2500$ on their price. And therefore it would be safe to assume you wouldn't sell your machine for less than 13,500$ - 14 even... When reality is you would have sold for 12. There will be alot more people out there ABLE and willing to do 12 than 13.5-14.... Make sense?

Sure you could list it for 14,500$ and maybe get lucky and find that one guy who really isn't a good shopper and is willing to offer 14 grand and buy it off you.... But that may take months if not years to find that right person. Meanwhile there is always a price that no matter what, the item will sell reasonably quick. Considering all the mods and assuming the miles and hours aren't excessive I would say you machine would be worth 12,000$ on the low end to up to 13,000$

And as others have said you won't get much if anything back on the mods. If you wanted you could sell the rear storage box individually... and possibly sell things like the lightbar or windshield, skid plates and so on and recoup a little bit of that money, these things may make your machine easier to sell by leaving them on ( makes your machine more desirable over more stockish machines they might be also looking at ) but they don't add any real appreciable increase to the dollar value to the machine.

Craigslist and Ebay are where you will find it a new home. Ad's on forums like this one, everyone here is looking for bigtime deals, unless its ultra special or priced thousands less than its really worth, you are not likely to sell it off a forum.

If you have a local dealer who wants to consign it, thats also a good move, so as long as they and you agree you have the right to advertise it and sell it privately at the same time. And finding a dealer that willing to consign it for a reasonable fee, say no more than 750-1000$ and that they are willing to " list " the price at your bottom dollar price plus their fee, verses having it sit there for sale for 18 plus grand collecting dust and wasting your time.

Good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, really helpful.

I will lower the price, and explore putting a much better ad onto ebay and see if that helps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, spoke to dealership and dropped price down to $15.2. Now before you all start yelling at me telling me I'm not listening, let me explain.

The NADA book high value is actually $16.2 not $14 as several of your have mentioned. I understand the next point someone will make is "none of your accessories matter / have value", which I'm conceding for the most part. The unit does however still have a factory warranty for another year and new tires, both of which SHOULD count.

At any rate, i will try this first and see how we do.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think you at least have a price now where you may get an offer. As mentioned decide what your bottom line cost will be because very few people will pay asking price.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
make sure it is priced to sell and wait.... mine was loaded. took awhile for it to sell. accessories and options are pennies on the dollar...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I never look at NADA or Kelly Blue Book prices on used bikes and toys of this sort when I am looking to buy something. I might look at KBB to see values listed for a car or truck before trying to buy or sell one, but never bikes and atvs and boats and stuff.

Ill try to describe my " BUYING " process.....

So I have decided I want something. Say I want a Teryx4. Ive researched them, learned about the pros and cons to this model machine, compared them to other makes and models and I have decided I want a T4.

First thing I do is look on my local craigslist. I go to my local craigslist and type in T4, then Teryx4, then Teryx, into the search box and see what results come up. Usually there will be new ones offered by dealers, plus at least one or two random private sale listings.

Then I will go to SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more and go a expanded search there. I will put in a area range I am willing to drive to, maybe 300-400 miles away, then search it using the same keywords. This brings up ALL the craigslist ads for all the cities in this search zone or radius.

I will also go a google search for T4, Teryx, Teryx4 for sale, and look through what pops up.

I may also do a google search for Teryx or T4 forums, and browse the forums for ads as well.

Once I have looked around at all these ads I will be taking notes of what I see as far as asking prices go. I would be bookmarking ads that really stand out.... ads for machines with low hours and use, ads for machines that are closer to home and ads for machines that are priced lower than average.

If I see that most used machines are offered with asking prices of 13-14 grand... Honestly I may not even waste my time emailing or calling on a machine that has a 15-16 grand asking price.

I personally do like some mods. I wouldn't want a 8 inch lifted, swamp/ mud buggy, so I wouldn't be interested in one modded like that... But if I found a few machines offered that already had a winch, a windshield, a sound system, maybe upgraded lights or shocks, wheels, guards, etc... Those would grab my attention. I wouldn't be willing to pay much more for one with 2000$ in mods over a bone stock one though. But I would pick the one with the mods over the stock one if condition were similar and miles and hours were similar and price was close between the two.

Once I picked out a few machines, I would want to email and eventually call and talk to the seller. I really want a phone conversation before I load up and drive out to see a machine. If I get bad vibes by talking to the seller, I may not even go look at it. But if I feel good after talking to the seller I will proceed with the deal. I will almost certainly offer less than asking price. On anything priced above 5 grand, I would expect to get at least a few hundred off. If I was looking at a T4 with a asking price of 13 grand, I would want to try to get at least 500$ off. I wouldn't insult anyone by trying to get 2 grand off the price, but 500$ off for a cash sale today should be reasonable and doable. Of course some sellers, myself included may have listed at their lowest price they are willing to take, some may even put in the ad that the price is firm. In those cases, I just decide, if its worth it or not. If it is then I just go forward with the buying process knowing I won't get any off the price.

One other thing I always do, is ask for proof of ownership, and proof that there is no outstanding loan or lien on the machine. On a titled vehicle like a car or truck or street bike thats easier to tell, simply because most banks hold the title if there is a loan or lien on it. But on a ATV or UTV or dirtbike there is no title, so you need to see proof of some sort that they own it free and clear. I also type up a detailed bill of sale to have them sign, stating they are selling it without unpaid liens and with clear title.

Anyways, long post, but just saying thats my process. If I was looking for one today and came across your ad, at your price. I would say its a 50 percent chance I would not even respond to it, because I would feel your price is too high. If I did respond, I would just simply ask you if your price is negotiable, and if so would you be willing to entertain the idea of taking somewhere in the 13-14 grand range for it. If you responded with anything but yes I would simply thank you for your time and move on to the next machine. I would never look at NADA for pricing. I would just look at what other used machines are offered for and use that as my basis for what is a acceptable price.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Damn you really look into things. If I want I just buy it . I do alitte research but if I like it and feel the asking price isn't ridiculous I'm going to try and talk the guy down on price anyways. Always have cash in hand. Cash talks bullshit walks. Big problem is alot of people owe more than the machine is worth and want to get payoff plus what the put into in upgrades. That's why some of these machines set for sale for so long

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
insure it haul it out to an uninhabited area and light it up
Take some fold up chairs, weiners, beers, s'mores or whatever tickles your fancy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts