Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious why Kawasaki recalled many 2014 Teryx4 800 for a new belt and drive pulley.

My Teryx4 800 was one of the units recalled, and I had the work done.

But now that some time has gone by, why do you suppose the company went to such a great expense. Were the original pulleys out of balance? Were they machined with an incorrect sheave angle? And what of the new belts; are the new #40 belts wider, shorter, have a different angle?

It's pretty safe to say that we know a fair number of 2014 machines had issues with belt failure. Why did that happen? Was it the heat drawn off the engine for the new CVT intake design? Was it too much grease in the secondary driven pulley? Was it a poorly manufactured belt? But if it were only a faulty belt, then why go to the expense of replacing the entire drive pulley?

What do you think?

Administrator
Good question. Kawi certainly spent some coin on this fix. My local dealer said something like $700 per unit. Would like to know the reasoning as well. My father just picked up a '14. When he asked the dealer if they had done the recall work they acted dumb. Come to find out they had not. They did the recall and delivered the Teryx later that week. For anyone buying a '14 Teryx, don't assume the recall is done. Ask the dealer. I'm sure the 15s are good to go.

Registered
I bought my Teryx a couple of weeks ago and the shop mechanic told me he did the belt change recall on my Teryx. He didn't explain as to why he just did it as he was prepping the machine.

Premium Member
I am pretty sure it was because of belt failures and to much heat in the CVT cover. Even with the recall you should snorkel your front CVT Intake to under the hood. I heard the 2015 come like the pre 2014 units with it snorkeled from the factory on the front intake.

Not sure if they made any angle adjustments on the primary or not. I have read some people say they changed it and some say they did not.

I had my recall done and snorkeled the CVT intake and we ran the piss out of my machine at Windrock last weekend and no belt problems.

Registered
Both mine have left me walking. Recall or not, I'm nervous to get to far into the woods.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I was one of the owners who never had a belt fail on me before or after the recall. I did swap to the #39 belt before the recall was ever published, and I saw that my OEM #33 belt was in bad shape. I was glad I checked!

I had the recall done that replaced the drive pulley and the #39 belt for the current #40 belt. The new CVT parts were nice and shiny! It was definitely not a cheap fix for Kawi.

At the same time, I also added the CVT intake snorkel to the 2013 OEM parts where the air is drawn from high under the dash. This did make the console considerably hotter in all conditions, especially in low speed operations. Overall, I like it because it is better for water and mud.

But I still have not heard what was the compelling reason for a new primary drive pulley in the CVT and a new belt part number.

If it were heat related, it would have been far cheaper to swap to the old style CVT intake vent design. If it were grease, it would have been a new belt and few shop rags. If it were a only a different spring in the primary pulley, then a new spring in the original pulley would have been done.

My thinking keeps going back to a fault in the primary drive pulley: sheave angles, balance issues, etc... Of course, I have noting to back that up.

I guess the world may never know.

Registered
From what I read on the Kawasaki website I don't think they changed the cvt vent on the 15. I will confirm when I go to the dealership.

Registered
They could have changed the CVT intake and belt for a fraction of what they spent. They wouldn't replace anything, even a washer, for no reason.

We can rule out heat and grease. It was something mechanical with the clutch/drive pulley.

My guess? They were trying to squeeze noticeable performance out of a tiny cc upgrade (34cc) and the went too radical somewhere. But it could also simply have been a manufacturing defect.

Registered
A friend who works for Kawi said they put 1000's of miles on the 14 during R&D. He said they never had a single belt failure then once it was released belts began to blow. My guess is when the belt manfacture screwed the pooch.

Registered
I have two theories , each total speculation.

Maybe there was an existing belt ready to go that would hold up to the heat,etc. and it required a different pulley than the recalled belt.something technical like that we could only guess at.

The other theory, maybe a PAC or possibly a superpac backed by atv park owners around the country convinced the govt to pressure Kawasaki into putting chips in all the 2014 teryxs so they would know where all the troublemaking teryx people are riding at all times.the recall was just their clever way of sneaking it in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Ill take the conspiracy theory for $100, Alex! LoL
Nice!!!

Registered
Both mine have left me walking. Recall or not, I'm nervous to get to far into the woods.
What kind of riding you do that you been left in the woods twice? By two different machines.I beat the shit out of mine with 4 people in mine and have no issues I do use 4 wheel low on any kind of inclines .just curious,Jeff

Registered
We simply trail ride. Some of it is pretty steep riding but either way both machines are now gone as of today. It was fun with the kawi but the belt and the ride quality have made me change rides.

Premium Member
I have two theories , each total speculation.

Maybe there was an existing belt ready to go that would hold up to the heat,etc. and it required a different pulley than the recalled belt.something technical like that we could only guess at.

The other theory, maybe a PAC or possibly a superpac backed by atv park owners around the country convinced the govt to pressure Kawasaki into putting chips in all the 2014 teryxs so they would know where all the troublemaking teryx people are riding at all times.the recall was just their clever way of sneaking it in.

Man I almost choked on my coffee on that one. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: You are funny AR.

For the record. I also did not ever have a belt failure on my 2014 T4. With the 39 belt and the stock primary with weights my machine made a TON of dyno runs putting out 86HP to the rear wheels. The CVT intake WAS snorkeled. Never had a belt failure in all the times I rode it before I took it to Big Kev's and all the dyno runs. I was actually shocked when people were failing them in under 10 hours as I had already ridden mine on some pretty extreme rides with no problems at all.

WFOWS6_IL
I am pretty sure it was because of belt failures and to much heat in the CVT cover. Even with the recall you should snorkel your front CVT Intake to under the hood. I heard the 2015 come like the pre 2014 units with it snorkeled from the factory on the front intake.
Just checked Kawi's website and the parts diagram for the 15.......the CVT intake looks identical to the 14 model.

Premium Member
I "think" it must have been a faulty belt issue for the simple reason that some like me were not part of the recall.
Not sure. As mentioned in another thread, underneath your seat you can see the manufacture date. I would bet it is more likely your camo machine was manufactured after the rest of us who were recalled and already has the new stuff on it. If you ever take off your CVT cover look at the belt and you should see the number on it.

BTW, I have never been a fan of Camo but I really like the looks of the Teryx Camo. Lot different than the other brands.

Registered
Chris, is this why you're selling your T4?
Makes you wonder why they won't come out and say what the exact problem was.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts