Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not sure. As mentioned in another thread, underneath your seat you can see the manufacture date. I would bet it is more likely your camo machine was manufactured after the rest of us who were recalled and already has the new stuff on it. If you ever take off your CVT cover look at the belt and you should see the number on it.

BTW, I have never been a fan of Camo but I really like the looks of the Teryx Camo. Lot different than the other brands.
Mfg date is 3/14. If putting the center plastic back on was not such a PIA I would check the belt date as you may well be correct. I don't know. But I will need a better reason to again undo the plastic center console since last time I ran out of curse words. :razz:

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
You should beable to remove belt cover and change the belt with the center consol installed you just need the passenger seat removed and the gas tank belt and cover are right there

Reactions: Magellan

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Chris, is this why you're selling your T4?
Makes you wonder why they won't come out and say what the exact problem was.
The number one reason I'm selling is because of the lack of power in reverse. A Rhino 700 has more torque to the wheels in reverse than my Teryx4 800. Even after the whole VForce John stage three clutching, it has problems turning the tires in reverse in thick mud. It's a deal breaker, honestly.

For the record, the power in High and Low ranges is phenomenal.

The clutch issue bothers me, too. I've shedded another #40 belt after the VFJ clutch but to be fair that belt got oil on it from a faulty primary shaft seal that leaked. I cleaned the belt and sheaves but it still ripped all the cords out of the belt.

I don't want to bash the Teryx4 800. Believe me. The belt and clutch issue just seems odd to me. We all know that Yamaha put wheel spacers and doors on the Rhino because people were turning them over. Polaris advertises the new 2015 RZR 1000 as having better clutch cooling. But Kawi owners get a letter saying to get this free clutch and belt replaced at your friendly dealer because if you don't the belt may fail... LoL

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I understand what you are saying. This new setup on the 800's is definitely less confidence inspiring than the pre 2014 T2 line-up. Time will tell if this fix really works. So far so good for me, but not so for a lot of people. I would not go riding somewhere by myself, that is for sure until I can get 1K miles out of a belt again or more like I did with my older T2's.

Teryx's have always had a really high ratio R compared to most other machines. Not sure why.... Good luck with whatever you buy.

·
Vendor
1,121 Posts
I believe they had machining issues related to some primary clutches.

on some pre recall clutches I received, the sheaves would touch together at the center and gall 1 spot on the sheave where they touched in the center. this COULD HAVE sent the outer sheave crooked when at full shift and this isn't good for a belt.

Problem is,....

The recall clutches are machined CROOKED!!!!

EVERY clutch I've seen from the recall has the weight pins COCKED.

the weight in the ARROW position (lets say this is 12:00) and the one at the 9:00 position are machined offset vs the other 2

Reactions: InvictusII

·
Registered
484 Posts
Being a CVT rookie, I assume this is not good news. Did I trade a good clutch for a bad one? Does that mean I will still have a belt issue?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Go search the thread about after recall results. It'll make you feel a lot more confident. Basically, so far, everybody reports good news.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I like mine post recall and have read that thread. But John just burst my bubble lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
My bubble's really gonna burst if my clutch that I had a lot of $$$ into machine work turns into another belt shredder. LoL

·
Registered
563 Posts
The recall clutches are machined CROOKED!!!!

EVERY clutch I've seen from the recall has the weight pins COCKED.

the weight in the ARROW position (lets say this is 12:00) and the one at the 9:00 position are machined offset vs the other 2
This is disturbing. Was is done intentionally or in error? What kind of negative side effect would be expected from weight pins cocked?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
To show us owners that they will take care or our rides if there is a problem, and give us peace of mind

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My bubble's really gonna burst if my clutch that I had a lot of $$$ into machine work turns into another belt shredder. LoL
This is disturbing. Was is done intentionally or in error? What kind of negative side effect would be expected from weight pins cocked?
That's why I referred to the other thread. We can all guess, some better than others maybe, but if it isn't causing a problem in the real world, whatever they installed is just fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's why I referred to the other thread. We can all guess, some better than others maybe, but if it isn't causing a problem in the real world, whatever they installed is just fine.
I'm not sure how, but maybe someone could start a thread with a poll regarding those that have had and those that have not had problems after the fdm or also on the 2015's

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why would they put out a fix for our units without identifying the problem? Shouldn't Kawasaki tell us why they changed the primaries?
Just seems strange to me. Like Chris, I really would like to know the answer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We may never get the correct answer, but I know that wonderful "kawasaki 3 year warranty" will fix it if my belt/clutch goes out.

·
14 teryx 4 800
23 Posts
So I got my recall done today and when talking to the dealer they said the vendor must be paying the bill cause kawasaki dont want the parts back. My question is Can the clutches be fixed? I would like to take my old clutch and send to VFORCE John to get machined and do what he does so I dont have to be without my bike any input would be appreciated

Reactions: VFORCEJOHN

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
They must have too many clutches then aswhen I picked mine up after the worh had been done I asked to look at the belt they removed, i t and the clutch were already boxed and on the way to kawi

·
Registered
563 Posts
So I got my recall done today and when talking to the dealer they said the vendor must be paying the bill cause kawasaki dont want the parts back. My question is Can the clutches be fixed? I would like to take my old clutch and send to VFORCE John to get machined and do what he does so I dont have to be without my bike any input would be appreciated
Kawasaki does not want the old converter and belt. Dealer must keep the old parts for 30 or 90 days and then they may dispose them. I was able to keep my pre-FDM converter and belt.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I put 236 miles on new belt and converter (FDM) and vforce john clutch kit (middle hole on clutch weights was empty, the other two holes had a bolt and a washer). This setup was on 30" Roctanes with about 70% of riding in low gear, Hatfield&McCoy and Busco beach riding.

Yesterday I inspected cvt components. To my surprise the cvt bell housing was very clean, very little black dust. Belt measured 29.25mm and 22.70mm. For comparison i measure new spare belt and it measured 29.40mm and 23mm.

Pre-FDM setup had lighter tires (28" zillas) and CVT inspection showed a lot of black dust.

So, i have to assume the new FDM belt is stronger and produces less wear (black dust).
Differences to converter were discussed in this and other thread. Thus far I am happy with FDM setup.

Reactions: VFORCEJOHN

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Kawasaki does not want the old converter and belt. Dealer must keep the old parts for 30 or 90 days and then they may dispose them. I was able to keep my pre-FDM converter and belt.
This is typical of warranty work. It is meant to keep dealers from cheating. Occasionally, the regional rep will visit and ask to see parts for a specific claim as an audit.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts