1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Teryx is four inches wider than a Rhino
and has about the same wheel travel, 7.5" or so,
are the wheels off-set more creating the extra
width, or is the frame wider where the a-arms mount?
It's kind of a bummer that there is extra width without
extra suspension travel.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Specs

The extra width may not even be related to the chassis. Usually the overall width, length, and height measurements are just the furthest extremities on the vehicle. So it is probably just body parts, if I had to make an educated guess.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
The rear suspension pivot points are about an inch narrower than a Rhino. And, the track width (center to center of tires) is about 5" wider than a Rhino. That means the a-arms are about 3" longer than a Rhino. The stock suspension feels very good, by the way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear suspension pivot points are about an inch narrower than a Rhino. And, the track width (center to center of tires) is about 5" wider than a Rhino. That means the a-arms are about 3" longer than a Rhino. The stock suspension feels very good, by the way.
Hmmmm. Might be a set of aftermarket shocks away from more wheel travel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I measured the lower arms on my teryx today both the front and rear lowers are approx 16.5 wide, i think stock rhinos are about 12.5 to 13 wide on the lowers. axel angles at full droop was about 18 degrees on the front and 26 degrees on the rears. It looks like the front ball joints have more room to move without binding also. Anyone know what angles these cv's are capable of?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem is the rear shock mounts below the top A-Arm. It's tough to get a shock to mount down inside without adding a end extension because the spring hits. Also the droop is limited by the cv actually hitting the lower arm when atempting to get more droop/travel. Nothing impossible, just a little more challenging to increase travel in the rear. Most Shock guys have settled for a 4" stroke shock so no travel gain. Not us, we want more!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Makin Trax, Do you know when AFCO's will be available for the teryx? Do you know how much travel they will have with stock suspension? I have heard good stuff about the AFCO shocks. My friend, "RMD" on rzrfourms, just ordered a set from you for his rzr and I really thinking about getting some for my teryx when they are available. If you need some help testing them let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Funny you should ask, when I read and posted above, it sparked me to go out and work on this little challenge for a while. I can tell you this much, if I get the shock end length I need from off the shelf from AFCO (I think they have one), when I raised up the rear enough so that the CV still cleared the bottom arm by about an 1/8" on the side the shock is off, the side with the stock shock had over 2" under it. Once I get the shock mounted with clearance from the top a-arm I will cycle it to get the total travel inches.

You know what I'll be right back. Why wait! LOL!!!

I'm back. With a quick check, travel will increase to 9-1/4" measured at the tire center

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just the rear. Now that you have me motivated here, maybe i'll go out and cycle the front. I'll be back.

Just cycled the front and rear again. We'll get a conservative 9-3/4" front and rear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Makin Trax,
Whats the latest? any progress? Since the cv binds on the lower arm at full droop, have you considered making a lower arm kit only, stock length arm and shock kit? Those arms should be long enough to cycle 12 inches but the way the lower arm is made it limits the down travel. Now that kit I'd buy if it was only a little more than the shocks alone. Low cost, no new axles to worry about 4 bolts to mount 12 inches plus of travel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Makin Trax,
Whats the latest? any progress? Since the cv binds on the lower arm at full droop, have you considered making a lower arm kit only, stock length arm and shock kit? Those arms should be long enough to cycle 12 inches but the way the lower arm is made it limits the down travel. Now that kit I'd buy if it was only a little more than the shocks alone. Low cost, no new axles to worry about 4 bolts to mount 12 inches plus of travel.
That's a thought. Don't know that the gain will be worth the $$$

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Lots of people on here seem to be making making Plus 6 or ?+ kits. With the narrow trails here I'm looking for more suspension here in stock width (if possible). I thought Walker Evans has 2" of extra travel in a stock set up but no write up has been posted yet on how they worked out on testing. For me the set up still has to handle good at high speed and slower technical driving. Looking forward for more choices in this area. AFCO have a web site? This is the first I have heard of them on here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts