Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep readin' 'bout Folks buyin' these thangs for the "v-twin" power of the 750.

I got my butt handed to me yesterday by a stock Artic Cat Prowler with a 600 for Gawd's Sake runnin' side-by-each on the sand bar at the Red River. :icon_eek:

I'd pull away from the get-go but then my speedo would top out at 40mph and he'd leave me behind. Same thang in both 2 and 4 wheel drive.

I've had it to 50 on a dirt road but she wouldn't do it on the sand.

My buddies Prowler runs 45 on both sand and dirt.

Do I have to modify my engine in order to run with a friggin' 600 Prowler??

I ain't real impressed.

:TX:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Your jetting may be off. My friends teryx was a dog until he rejeted it. now it rips! The teryx's are sensitive to jetting. If its off by a little they are way down on power.

·
TERYXERISER
311 Posts
:drive1:If you havent changed the CDI this a great place start
I think kawasaki detuned these to ward off law suits like theyre
hammering yamaha with!!!!!:velo1:

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
give us a call and we can take care of that for you, our teryxs are running close to 70 on the dirt. and get there faster than any other utv. These teryxs are by far the most responsive to mods than any other UTV out there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You are hitting the stock rev limiter at 40-45mph. Just replace the CDI under the drivers seat with a Dynatek or what ever you companys you want for around $200 and you will hit 55-62mph. Then race your buddy again. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone figured out which cdi wire to cut to disable the limiters?on my 04 wr250 its the gray wire.I see in the manual there is a "engine speed sensor",anyone tried unplugging that?Just getting broken in,aint had much time to tinker with it but i like the idea of free horsepower.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Install the CDI and lower the tire pressure in the sand. Then you should spank the Prowler. I out ran a 800 RZR in the sand with mine, and we were neck and neck on the hard pack. All I have done is install the CDI from Dynatek, and put an exhaust tip on mine. I also take about 4 lbs. of pressure out of the tires while in the river bed. The pressure drop will cause you to loose speed on the hard pack though. Mine will get 62 top speed with the CDI replacment and a lot more low end power.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Like everyone says, you need a CDI. You have 2 choices right now, Copperhead made by Velocity Devices, or Dynatek. Both work extremely well.

By the way, Red River is cool! I rode there about 3 years ago and had a blast. Would love to go back there again sometime.

Get the CDI and your opinion of the Teryx will change completely. :winner_smilie:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input Folks. :cool018:

So the answer to my question is evidently "yes" ... I do have to modify my engine in order to keep up with a rig with 20% less displacement. :icon_eek:

Kawasaki engineers must have it tuned down for a reason.

Perhaps the point made about preventing lawsuits is valid ... or perhaps the reason is to prevent damage to the engine/drivetrain.

Does this modification make other modifications necessary in order to prevent failures in the engine/drivetrain?
Does this modification void the warranty?

Thanks in advance.

:TX:

·
Vendor
2,438 Posts
Does this modification make other modifications necessary in order to prevent failures in the engine/drivetrain? nope plug and play
Does this modification void the warranty? maybe but do take it to the shop with the aftermarket box in it only takes a minute to swap out the box and put the stock box back in

·
Just a guy with a toy
66 Posts
My Dealer has offered to sell me the unit and assures me that the Warranty will not be cancelled by use of the CDI as long as I bring it to him.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
ive never heard of a prowler outrunning a teryx,thats just funny to me

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
lol,i didnt mean your buddy thinking it was funny.

i ride with a prowler every weekend and these things arent even close,thats what i thought was comical!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a simple answer to "where's all the power", it is in the polaris rzr!! 800cc fuel injected and weighs 220 lbs less than the teryx, also gets up to 58mph bone stock and only takes about 11 seconds to get there!! rzr all the way!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ha ha Been there done that. RZR's are built cheap and cant get much faster then they are stock. Just bolt on mods on a teryx can make it faster than any modded rzr except turbos of course. Just ask UTV Crap. And you can get teryx's for 2Gs less! I had a RZR. Nice machine stock but dont push it because youll break axles, Cvs, Diffs, motors, suspension etc. They tip easy and dont last long. YES I had a RZR. Built about as good as the crate they come in. Like a fast powerwheels. I had a RZR. I will NEVER go back. My Teryx KILLS RZRs! oh and by the way... 0-60 in 11 seconds is SLOW! haha

1 - 20 of 59 Posts