Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as you guys can see it is getting time to get the Teryx and I am trying to get my accessory list itemized. I want a winch and I would like any and all opinions you guys may have. I am looking at the Warn RT 30 winch at this time. Will I need a winch mounting plate or is there a place to mount the winch already on the Teryx?

·
Registered
186 Posts
you will need a mounting plate.
I am using the rt 30 myself havent had to use it yet but should do the trick.Im going to run a snatch block also,less strain on the winch and battery plus after looking around it seems to be the smallest utv winch outthere.

·
Registered
182 Posts
RT30 here...and I used it a lot this weekend, pulling panels on a corral back together. It worked great. I found, it will pull the Teryx with everything locked up. To me anything stronger is overkill, just not enough weight in the Teryx.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As far as on flat ground yes that is big enough but sink her up to the floor boards in some muck and the r30 will strain alot and may not do the trick...I run a 3500 gorilla and sometimes it aint enough...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with the Viper Max 4000, so far so good, seems to have plenty of power and has a senthetic rope!! a major plus. it came with the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I also went with a viper max 4000 w/rope..

·
Registered
323 Posts
another vote for Viper Max. I'm running a 3000# because it was on my last bike, but will be going to a 4000# soon since they are fully waterproof and just to have that extra assurance. It has broken on me twice, but both times, it was my fault. It has well over 50 pulls on it, and still pulls like it did new. also, their customer service is top notch!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah the viper and gorilla's are made by the same people...I also have the rope they work great...however a word of caution dont let the rope go in with slack on it always coil in with a little tension...if not it will try to tighten up and it makes a mess and can even put it in enough of a bind to break it...had it happen it even broke the drum on the winch....live and learn...It was replaced for free...

·
Registered
323 Posts
goriila and viper are not made by the same people. venom is a different company also (to clear up any confusion). watch the synthetic rope on the gorillas and venoms. it is not Amsteel, it is Chinese made and not as strong (at least on the old ones...i'm not sure if they have switched or not). a friend with a prowler has a gorilla 4000# with synth. and it broke twice trying to get him out of the same hole. to my knowledge Viper Max's are the only ones besides the big manufacturers that are using Amsteel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
spend a little more now and get the warn 4000lb. the 3000lb doesn't have enough to pull one stuck in mud. seen it twice, cooked them. you have to remember the max pulling on the winch is the first layer of wire/rope on the winch drum. most people don't know this and pull from 3-4 wraps and have 1/2 the power.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you will need a mounting plate.
I am using the rt 30 myself havent had to use it yet but should do the trick.Im going to run a snatch block also,less strain on the winch and battery plus after looking around it seems to be the smallest utv winch outthere.
Where do you attach your winch hook back to the front of the Teryx in order to use a snatch block. I am installing the Warn XT40, but would still like to carry a snatch block just in case I am too close to let enough wire out of the winch to get a full pull. I am just trying to get ideas of where I would attach the hook back to the front of the Teryx to double the pulling power. I would like to keep the stock bumber and plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'd go 4000lbs+ winch. A quad uses 2000 to 2500lbs winch and its 600 lbs a Teryx is 1300 lbs.

·
Just a guy with a toy
66 Posts
The VIPER MAX 4000 we installed pulled our Rex out of the mud and up steep slopes like nothing in fact the Rhino that was with us had a Warn 4000 and we ended up having to winch the RHino up a steep slope cause his Warn quit on him. In my opinion it has been a really solid winch so far and has survived many creek crossings and mud holes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Man, id have to say id agree with Dougs, my 2500lbs warn has struggled with my 2007 kawi brute force 650sra. that weighs 602lbs , the rexy is more than twice that, that is why i went with the 4500lbs. viper max w/rope. Its all relative to what you are going to be doing, i like rocks. Sometimes when i get the quad jammed between two or three , and the only winch point is going to drag you thourgh something worse that extre pulling power will help out. but to each his own. But what ever you do , dont overheat your winch. espically if your magnets are glued on. that will lead to premature failure, by you, then you will be buying another. I havent had any problems with mine and would reccomend rope to anyone because, YOU DONT NEED A TETNEUS SHOT AND A PAIR OF GLOVES...IMO
Oh ya, my brute force does not have any charging or any other electrical problems ie. dead battery... But i can get her stuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts