Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm a new guy with a new 2013 T4 and I'm excited to break it in. I've ridden in SxS's a fair amount, but none have ever carried a spare. I've also owned several ATVs and never had a flat of any kind. Lucky, I guess.

One of the main reasons i bought the T4 (soon to be T5) is to take my kids up into the hills with me. I'm nervous about blow outs up in the sticks without help near by.

I need the scoop on spares. Do you carry one? How? Where could I get an extra wheel? Have you ever needed one? Patch kits?

Any info you could pass along would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Spare or no spare?

Hey folks. I'm a new guy with a new 2013 T4 and I'm excited to break it in. I've ridden in SxS's a fair amount, but none have ever carried a spare. I've also owned several ATVs and never had a flat of any kind. Lucky, I guess.

One of the main reasons i bought the T4 (soon to be T5) is to take my kids up into the hills with me. I'm nervous about blow outs up in the sticks without help near by.

I need the scoop on spares. Do you carry one? How? Where could I get an extra wheel? Have you ever needed one? Patch kits?

Any info you could pass along would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
I've went back and forth on this one myself, I keep a spare for my buggy back at the truck but I don't carry it with me because... I run pretty aggressive tires at a very low pressure (7-10psi) so if one were to go flat I'd barely notice it at first anyway. If it were to go flat I'd have no problem just running it flat and getting it back to the truck for the spare if I really needed it. The other thing is that I can carry a lightweight plug kit a lot easier that I can carry a bulky spare tire with rim, a jack and breaker bar to get the lug nuts off. I guess if I was to run in an all day Baja style race I would need to carry those things but for short races or just trail riding my thinking is that it's just not needed. :drive1:

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
There was someone on Ebay making a rear bumper for the T4 that had a built in wheel/tire mount. Do an Ebay search for Teryx4 rear bumper and it'll probably turn up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
There was someone on Ebay making a rear bumper for the T4 that had a built in wheel/tire mount. Do an Ebay search for Teryx4 rear bumper and it'll probably turn up.
If I was going to run a spare I think I'd somehow mount it over the hood to keep the added weight on the front instead of the rear. That rear gusset mounted bumper/spare carrier for the T-4s is cool though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would carry a spare, I had a small rock get inside the rim and put a hole in it. I did drive on the tire a short drive and it was just fine but I was not on the trails yet. it gives me peace that I have it when I am miles away and driving alone.

·
Administrator
God bless 🇺🇸
4,260 Posts
I don't carry a spare, but it's a great idea to have one. Puncturing a tire is one thing, but if you bust a wheel you're screwed without a spare. I may talk myself into getting one someday.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I've batted the idea around but haven't gotten one yet. Although I did let all the air out of one of my Rip Saws and it only lost 1" of height with normal machine weight on it. These tires are stiff enough I could probably go several miles on a flat but I always keep an air compressor with me.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I like having a spare, but I also made a rear bumper so I had a place to hang it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Spare?

I like having a spare, but I also made a rear bumper so I had a place to hang it.
Another thing folks forget when they think about carrying a spare tire is that some tires are directional and if so the spare can only be mounted on one side... :drive1:

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
i carried one on my T2, and i will be carrying one on my T4 as well. Never had to use it (thanks to compressor and patch kit), but i love the look and the ability to install spare if need to... plus my new carrier is gonna be trick!!!!

·
Happy Gilmore of the T-rex's
130 Posts
Running Pitbulls, a spare really isn't needed. 8 ply tires, and radials at that, will allow you to get back to base even on a flat tire without hurting the tire.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
I popped a bead when I ran into a tree and thought I was stranded when another utv came by with a ratchet strap and compressor and we were able to reseat the tire. I later upgraded to beadlocks and still don't run a spare.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I carry a spare but have been lucky enough not to need it. Since I run 30" tires I went ahead and bought a matching rim and found a used matching tire that I picked up for $50. I bought a universal trailer spare tire mount from tractor supply ($35) and just bolted it to the "X" brace on the rear cage, then picked up a couple 12mm x1.25 bolts
and replaced the lug bolts that can with it. Now I can just use normal lug nuts to mount it. This setup is great and cheap but I'm in the process building a mount that will bolt to my EMP rear bumper so I can open my cooler lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just bought a spare and it fits perfect in front of one of the backseats. If I have 4 riders, I will just keep it at camp and have someone go get it if I need it.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Guess a spare is a lot like insurance. Think about how hard an insurance salesman's job was in the early 1900's. We ride alone most of the time so I try to think of every possible scenario. That being said, to me a spare wheel and tire is a MUST HAVE. Here is an example. A little while back I was riding with some new friends and cracked a wheel. Can't upload video??? Sure I would have been fine since I had a few great guys (MUD AND GUTS OFF-ROAD ROCKS!!) with me, BUT what if it was just me?!?!? Bottom line, get a spare! Their are a few great setups out there to choose from or build your own!! I picked up Zeplar-halfs mount from ebay. Kawasaki New teryx 4 Rear Bumper with Spare Tire Carrier | eBay The only decent picture of mine is below.
http://www.teryxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16318&stc=1&d=1383091715

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I carry one; took a piece of flat angle iron drilled a set of holes for a 2" U clamp and drilled two holes for long bolts and mounted it on the right rear cross brace. Works well and with all the sharp rocks in our area I'm glad I had a spare.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't leave camp without one! We regularly ride 80-100 miles and it sure would suck to have to limp back to camp on a flat or even worse, have a broken wheel ruin yer ride. We also carry a plug kit and co2 for small punctures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think this brings up good discussion. To run one or not. I think its a case of when you need one, you will wish like hell you had one, but until that day, it takes up room and weight. I good rule of thumb would be prepared if you venture deep and far, and if you stick close to camp, prob. not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I did this. Works perfectly. Had to drill one hole, 1/2 inch.
I carry a spare but have been lucky enough not to need it. Since I run 30" tires I went ahead and bought a matching rim and found a used matching tire that I picked up for $50. I bought a universal trailer spare tire mount from tractor supply ($35) and just bolted it to the "X" brace on the rear cage, then picked up a couple 12mm x1.25 bolts
and replaced the lug bolts that can with it. Now I can just use normal lug nuts to mount it. This setup is great and cheap but I'm in the process building a mount that will bolt to my EMP rear bumper so I can open my cooler lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts