Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been to Wildcat in London, Ky?
How does it compare to Blue Holler, Windrock, or LBL. Those are the only places I have been in the last 10 years. And only Blue Holler on a SXS.
Has anyone camped there? We are thinking a weekend trip with kids.
Windrock has a nice campground, and that may be an option too. That place just seemed a little rocky from what I remember being there on an atv.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wildcat is only around 2,000 acres so not that big. A little skeptical on the claim for 100 miles of trails as that is a LOT for that amount of land. Decent trails if you like to cruise around but not a lot of challenging stuff.

Don't forget about Brimstone which is my favorite place and is about 20,000 acres and claims 300 miles of trails (which seems like a reasonable number). This is just north of Windrock and directly west from Norris Lake and Ride Royal Blue. There are a couple of campgrounds and several cabin rentals you can choose from. They have a pretty big range of trails from fairly simple dirt two tracks to gnarly rocky climbs. Some of the main trails are really rough...not hard, just really rough...but if you stay on the moderate trails they are better two tracks running through the wood. Not quite as rough overall as Windrock. You can't run everything without spending a little bit of time on gravel or paved public roads, but you can get on the trails in very sort distances......we often jump on the road between certain sections to just to get to different trails faster and avoid the really bumpy and rock main trails.

The Ride Royal Blue (actually TWRA land) is just north of Norris Lake and really big with a lot of easy to moderate trails if you like to cruise.

Rush Off-road in eastern Kentucky is another option, but it is very primitive at the park.........no cabins and only primitive camping is available. It's 7,000 acres and claims 100 miles of trails (3.5 times bigger than Wildcat and claims the same amount of trails).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information.
I will do some looking at those other places. I think we are looking for easy to moderate.
Brimestone looks interesting from a few quick YouTube videos.

For us, nothing crazy for sure as we will almost always have kids with us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have rode there several times, although its been a couple years. I was on a rzr then. Its a really good place to ride but nothing really challenging, which was more our style. You could ride it all in a day maybe. the lookout on the other side of the road from the check in is really cool. Looks over I-75. LBL is really fun too, other side of the state though. If the lake is down to winter pool, you can ride along Kentucky Lake for several miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
RRB, Windrock or Brimstone would be much better for a multi day trip. We have rode there a lot too. You have to get a permit from the TWRA while you are there so its a little more expensive. You can get those at the general stores or even some gas stations though. Any of those places would have anything you can think of as far as I riding. If you want easier stuff, and well marked, stay at the RRB campground. They have access to the trail system from the campground and its pretty easy riding.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
You might want to check out Black Mountain in Harlan, KY or Mine Made Adventure Park in Knott County, KY.

I wasn't overly impressed with Wildcat. There was a lot of people for a relatively small area, but that was probably 2-3 years ago. We usually ride outlaw trails in Bell & Harlan Counties, so 75-100 miles/day is doable without back tracking.

Reactions: F6-rider

·
Registered
7 Posts
going to wildcat at the end of november for our first time there just a quick get away

1 - 8 of 8 Posts