Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,275 Posts
More the rest of the crew than me, but where are the outlaw trails. We have nothing around here in SE IL it’s flat and open
The Outlaw trails are all over southern west virginia. Most are not mapped, but many are. I would start by checking out Bob-T's maps. He has most of the good one's well mapped out. For everyone's convenience, here is a permanent link to all of Bob's latest maps: MediaFire

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
How much weight do you carry around in yours^

I haul around the wife, three kids chain saw and probably another 100lb of crap in the box.So between all of us probably 700lbs of people and cargo in a 1600lb machine. I often can't get the thing to turn a tire when in deep muskeg in reverse and I'm still running the stock tires. My buddy with a similar milage 2018 T4 claimed he never had that problem, until he came out with riding with us in the mountains and his did the same thing and he only had 400lb or so of people in his machine.
I'd like to try 28's but not until I get a rear winch installed.
Don't doubt you could have issues in that type of situation. I've never had it buried in that type of mud or had that much weight in it. With the 28" Intimidators I've had it stuck pretty good in gooey creek bottom mud but was still able to spin in both forward and reverse, but that's not the same as being buried in muskeg either. I would love to have the full clutch work done at some point.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Teryx4 LE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have arched offset arms front and rear, Bandit shocks that provide around 2" of lift, 2" wheel spacers with 5+2 beadlock wheels on 30" Crawler XG's. Swaybar disconnected and the Sgroi diff lock speed limiter bypass. I recently put a set of Terminators on the 5+2 wheels and getting a set of 4+3 wheels for the Crawlers. It does really good for a Teryx and surprises a lot of guys that have $20k+ in their X3's and 1000XP Turbo on the trail (not saying the Teryx is at the same level as those machines, but a built Teryx does pretty good). The last time we were down at Brimstone there was a couple with a stock Teryx staying at the cabin next to us and they were making the same comments as you.
Ok thanks. That’s what my prob is that the guys I ride with all have x3 turbo RR’s and decked out razors and other high perf rigs. I personally didn’t want to put that much money and time into a toy to ply on a cpl times a year but I do want to be able to stay with them when I do go. I just can’t see having 30+ thousand in a toy that’s gonna get tore up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
More the rest of the crew than me, but where are the outlaw trails. We have nothing around here in SE IL it’s flat and open
Where aren't they (The Outlaw trails)...In southern WV, just drive down the road a bit ...turn off into any hollow you see and it usually takes you into the wild ...most roads lead to old surface mining and contour mining areas...i bought my Teryx in 2016 , have always purchased a yearly trail pass (to pacify the lawmen) but I have never been on the trail system...plan to someday to see if it's a Candy thing or really challenging.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I ride the trails many times a year and always get a pass (mostly just to help the locals). The Hatfield trails are mostly "candy" trails but there are some more difficult trails in them (mostly Rockhouse and up that way). They are supposed to be opening up two new trail systems this year. I have been exploring more and more outlaw trails and they are certainly a lot of fun, but I will never stop riding the "Official" trails either. All are good to me!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
P.S. When Kawasaki rolled out the new T4, they showcased it and had the press ride in it, all on Hatfield & McCoy trails. The Teyrx is perfect for Hatfields

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
116 Posts
Ok thanks. That’s what my prob is that the guys I ride with all have x3 turbo RR’s and decked out razors and other high perf rigs. I personally didn’t want to put that much money and time into a toy to ply on a cpl times a year but I do want to be able to stay with them when I do go. I just can’t see having 30+ thousand in a toy that’s gonna get tore up.
I am with you on this... I go on one or two longer trips a year with a group of Talons, X3 RC's, and RZR 1000's. We generally ride down in TN/WV/KY somewhere, and for those 8 or 10 days a year I really wish that I would have went with a sport machine. They love the difficult trails and the Teryx4 does pretty well on the slow technical stuff, and the front locker is great, but it will obviously never be one of those machines. It's kind of like going to Glamis in a Jeep but riding with a bunch of long travel buggies... you'll still have fun but you aint gonna keep up, lol. In a place like Royal Blue where there is a fair amount of road riding to get to the trails, it is a real struggle because I am bouncing off the limiter at 50 mph and after about 200 yards I can't even see anyone in the group anymore. i just run a good GPS and i know where they are going - so I just meet them at the trailhead, lol. All that being said, for the rest of the year I am really happy with my Teryx... and i can't justify the cost for one of those machines for 5 or 10 days of technical riding a year, so I just hang on tight and hope my winch is working! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: TysTeryx21

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
You can get a tune on your Teryx that removes the limiters. I have heard that doing this will allow the Teryx to run in the low 60's MPH. Personally, I have no desire to twist my motor that hard, but it is possible.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
116 Posts
You can get a tune on your Teryx that removes the limiters. I have heard that doing this will allow the Teryx to run in the low 60's MPH. Personally, I have no desire to twist my motor that hard, but it is possible.
yeah, I have read about this and I considered pulling the trigger on an ECU reflash from Alba racing on Black Friday because it was 50% off. But I'm only a year into the machine so I don't want to do anything that could affect my warranty. And, like I said, it's really only a few days a year that I want more on the top end so it's a cost vs. reward kind of thing. Maybe I will do this if I eventually make my machine street legal here in MI, even just for backroad cruising it would be nice to stay off that limiter surging.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Fortunately the people I normally ride with stay off pavement as much as possible and are more into the slower technical trails, and when we do ride pavement we rarely go over 30-35 mph. For me a reflash would mostly come in handy to raise the 30 mph low speed limiter.....normally ride in low on most trails but every once in awhile you jump on a section of wide open trail or road just for a short distance and it would be nice to be able to run a little faster without stopping and shifting to high. Generally takes more time and I fall farther behind stopping and shifting versus just dealing with 30 mph.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2021 teryx4 LE and want to know how big of tire I can go with 2” lift. I want 30’s but didn’t know if I would need spacers or not. I haven’t had this rig but about 2 months and went riding at Brimstone in eastern TN this week and the rocks where destroying my underside. And I got hi centered and stuck on a cpl hills due to low ground clearance. Thanks for any info.
I just put a 2" lift on mine and 28s are the largest you can go with it. I added 1.5" spacers. You would need to go with the arched arms to run 30s. I tried 29s on mine but they rubbed (and they weren't true 29s according to my measurements).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put a 2" lift on mine and 28s are the largest you can go with it. I added 1.5" spacers. You would need to go with the arched arms to run 30s. I tried 29s on mine but they rubbed (and they weren't true 29s according to my measurements).
I have a 2020 Teryx Le I installed 30 x 10 R 14 10 ply on sharp turns it rubs I have talked with the dealer and they have 2 inch lift brackets for the front shocks that will fix the issue. The older Teryx LE's have a different configuration and with that you wouldn't need to lift. The 30 x 10's on all 4 is perfect makes better all around vehicle, I would not go back to stock size tires if someone gave me new.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Teryx4 LE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Awesome thanks for the info

21 - 33 of 33 Posts