Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy first machine. Going to go on trails with wife and grandkids. I have watched videos and read reviews until I cant do it any more. I have read the Teryx 4 is noisy and has heat issues by your legs. Need honest feedback if this is the right machine for me.

Looking at the Teryx 4 or Wolverine X4. Both have the most comfortable seats and have legroom.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I guess that depends a lot on where you ride. Having some heat from the console is one of the reasons I wanted a Teryx, summers are short here and it rarely gets above 20c where we usually ride. If we rode in arizona I'd consider a different machine.

The teryx is not nearly as loud as I expected it to be after reading people always complaining about noise on forums. Doesn't seem much louder than my rzr, does sound like it revs higher though. It's not louder than most of the quads I've owned.

I ended up going with the Teryx over the wolverine. I bought a 4 seater for the family and need room to carry crap along. The wolverine seemed to lack in the cargo box area. We usually go on 8-10 hr rides in the mountains so need room for food, chainsaw,rain gear, etc... the Teryx seemed more practical for us.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I bought a Teryx4 and then shortly after that the Wolverine X4 came out. After reading about the Wolverine it sounded great and I was upset that I hadn't waited around until it came out, but after checking one out at a dealer I was relieved as I wasn't that impressed with it. Not saying it's a bad machine but still happy with my Terxy4 and still would have probably went that way even if the Wolverine was available at the time.

Heat and noise - regardless of what machine they have everybody I ride with complains about heat and noise.....Polaris RZR (multiple different models/years), Wildcat XX, etc, etc.... The RZR guys have the suicide (backwards opening) doors and when on an easy section of trail will hold the door open for cool air. I personally don't have issues with my Teryx but also grew up running open cab farm tractors and construction equipment that was hot and loud.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The x4 has a lot more issues then the teryex by far . Go into the Wolverine forum you will see the problems they have . DEFINITELY not as durable as the teryex

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too was buying one to accommodate the grandkids. Went with the Teryx 4. Reliable, comfortable and plenty of room. You can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
We looked very hard at the X4 when we shopped and in the end, it came down to these two. We test drove both extensively. Here are a few thoughts, mostly on the X4.

- The X4 is quieter no question. Yamaha clearly spent a lot of time on making it quieter and smoother as a machine and I give them a lot of credit for it.
- We thought the fit and finish was very good. They appear and feel well put together and well made. From Yamaha, this is not a surprise to us.
- On paper, the X4 has more power. I say on paper because the delivery felt soft to me. No punch off the line. Just my .02. I have not yet felt I needed more power in the Teryx. Would I like it? Yes. But, will take what I have.
- I really did not like that you had to sacrifice the two rear seats to get meaningful bed space. We usually have people in the back row, so this was not a trade-off we could live with. I throw an RTIC cooler in the back of mine, whether I have 1 person or 4.
- The X4 is more expensive... No roof included and this was a $500 add... smaller stock tires that we would have had to change from immediately... the cost comparison started to go the wrong way.
- Interior is well finished and has some modern nice touches. Gauge cluster is good and easy to see and read.
- Front seat was comfortable, but my left arm hit the door badly on the oversized shoulder bolster. Same for my wife. We struggled to think we could ever get comfy in it.
- The back seats are terrible. Add to this to the this the crazy hump in the back--got to put the engine somewhere*--and the rear leg room in the X4 is awful.
- Self adjusting rear shocks... Not sure what to make of these. But I do know that my eyes tell me the X4 isn't following my Teryx in some tough places---not stock versus stock.

But, without a doubt the biggest knock on the X4 and what caused us to firmly cross it off the list was the very difficult and tight entrance and exit. Especially in the back row. This again is the stupid large shoulder bolsters designed to keep a rider in. Well, they're a gigantic PIA. My dad often rides us and he is in his 80s. He could barely get in the X4--front or back--and we could not imagine being on a trail ride where you're in and out of the machine. We had been on a few test rides and then we took him to get his thoughts.

When we got to the Kawasaki dealer and he saw the T4, he asked if he could drive it! He loved it then and now.

*The engine has to go somewhere and that is why you have heat and some added noise in the Teryx. It's a mid engine machine and it is short and nimble because of this. Move the engine rearward a bit and you either add length or reduce the bed space.

I have no opinions on the X4 reliability... I suspect it will be a good machine long term. But, you still see rental places at Moab (for example) with all Kawi T4 fleets. I wouldn't think twice about taking my family anywhere in the Teryx.

Good luck with the decision.

Reactions: Haywire and Andy>

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got back from WV with my 2017 Teryx4 on Bandit shocks and my friend and his family took their new Wolverine X4. Rode 105 miles on Saturday. He went as fast as we did, over the same terrain, and handled every obstacle with equal comfort. I watched as we followed them some and it had good suspension movement. He’s coming from a Polaris Northstar, so he knows how a SxS should ride. I’m a Teryx fan, but I was impressed with his X4. I don’t think I could have kept up with them riding on my stock fox shocks, or would have been beat to pieces if so.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Just got back from WV with my 2017 Teryx4 on Bandit shocks and my friend and his family took their new Wolverine X4. Rode 105 miles on Saturday. He went as fast as we did, over the same terrain, and handled every obstacle with equal comfort. I watched as we followed them some and it had good suspension movement. He’s coming from a Polaris Northstar, so he knows how a SxS should ride. I’m a Teryx fan, but I was impressed with his X4. I don’t think I could have kept up with them riding on my stock fox shocks, or would have been beat to pieces if so.
Good to hear. Not sure what a Polaris Northstar is, I presume you mean a Polaris Ranger Northstar edition. They're nice. We have two Rangers in our group. Surprisingly capable for what they are.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,201 Posts
I just got back from West Virginia also. Makes me wonder if you were one of those other Teryx we saw out on the trail? We rode the Pocahontas, Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek and Original Pocahontas in Virginia (All from the seat of our Teryx). Our longest day was from Tazwell VA to Pineville W.VA. 135 miles round trip :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
22 Posts
We stayed in Pineville and rode Pinnacle to Warrior on Sat and then Pinnacle on Monday. White/green Teryx, camo X4 and a 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like Lawdog, we test drove both machines. It came down to quality of build (which my wife even noticed!) and ease of access/egress. We are a fairly tall family and my 14 year old had issues getting in the back of the Yamaha. Compare the difference in A arms and the rest of the suspension, sturdiness of doors and metal front wheel wells on the Teryx. As noted previously, a roof comes with the LE edition.
Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Law dog hit the nail squarely on the head with the seat room comfort.
I was on the fence between the two. Finally our dealer got both of them in stock and had them side by side. Bought a T4 about 4 weeks ago.
The T4 is comfortable front seats and back. And easy to get in and out of.
The Wolverine is not for a larger frame person with the big side bolster things. I was leaning on them the whole time I was in the front seat. And not in a comfortable way. I am 5’10” at 215lbs with a wide frame. Those things make is difficult to get in and out of, contort up to the roll cage and then fall back to the seat. The rear seats are worse for an adult because of where the engine is. There is no room for your feet. Only a small spot by the doors, so one leg straight up and down by the door and the other bent weirdly to get the other foot by the door. Imagine trying to sit like a proper lady in a dress, sort of sideways to keep your knees together. Then you (if not in a dress haha) can let one leg fall over but keep your feet together.

Heat and more on comfort. We went on our first Real ride yesterday to a local place called Blue Hollar. Yes, that’s the real name. We are in Kentucky. 🙂 This place is for the most part a UTV park. The trails are pretty wide a decently maintained. It is Kentucky and this is near Mammoth Cave so it is hilly and rocky and rutted in spots.
It was 91 and sunny and Ky humidity. We went with the neighbor who just got a Razor 1000 Hilfter Edition 2 seater.
When we were in slower traffic or stopped it was hot. The heat was noticeable. But the neighbors in the razor were fanning too. When we were moving no issues. I was with three boys 11, 11, 6. So we all wore helmets. Me too, not gonna make them and me not. The neighbors were not in helmets. The 11s are just big enough that they would have had rear foot room problems in the X4.
We went everywhere the Razor did with exception of one mud hole where we easily found a way around. We went as fast as anyone else there did. I think the max speed I saw was 25. Mostly 5 tp 15. He never went up a hill that we did not. He never went down a trail we could not. We used 4wd a handful of times, the rest was 2wd.

So far I still think we made a good decision on our purchase.

The good thing about yesterday’s ride was that I saw a ton of machines and accessories in person. I now know more about what things I really want to get and think I may really need.
And wow some of the 4 seater other brand buggy’s are LARGE. They look like a bus compared to the T4 or X4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have ridden in about all the brands of side X side and the Teryx is by far the noisiest. According to the dealer they are made that way, the best I can describe the noise is it sounds like my old 1959 International truck with 200,000 miles on it.
Kawasaki has fixed most of the heat issue except for the emergency brake and shifter slots, plug them with rag when your riding. Another problem is where the steering column comes out of the fire wall there is one hell of an air leak and when it's cold you better take a blanket you will freeze your nuts off.
The soft cab option made by Kawasaki Doesn't fit the machine if considering a full soft top with doors Don't buy Kawasaki they fit like crap.
The other thing that is a big deal for me is top speed is 49 MPH all other brands are 65 and up.

The good thing about Kawasaki is they are a minimum of $6,000. usd cheaper than any other brand and three times the warranty and the best power train in the business.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too was looking at both of these exact machines just about a year ago. I ended up with a T4. Yes, the T4 is noisy, but the heat was not an issue until I added a full windshield. The windshield increased the heat and noise factors more than expected. The reasons I bought the T4 were: More comfortable seating front and rear, easy accessibility to the rear seats, a usable bed space without sacrificing the use of the rear seats, and finally, cost. I had one Yamaha dealer aggressively pursuing me until I told him what I was quoted for a brand new T4 LE out the door. He stopped calling. The difference in price between an X4 and the T4 LE was ~$3500.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I thought getting into/out off the X4 was ridiculous and surprised it made it to market like that. The rear seat is even worse. A friend has a Pioneer 1000-5 and it's a nice machine. I'd compare it to the T4 instead of an X4.

Reactions: Camo1

·
Registered
116 Posts
Need honest feedback if this is the right machine for me.
First, I don't have any experience with the Yamaha. We ride our 2017 Teryx4 year 'round. We just rolled it over 5,000 miles last weekend. The noise is there for sure. You have to speak in an outdoor voice to have a conversation. We get it and we live with it. The heat it produces is a blessing and a curse, depending on the season. When it's hot out, we may take the windshield off in the daylight hours to increase airflow. Gotta put it back on at dark or eat bugs. In cooler weather or even in winter, the extra heat is welcome but the ladies still want their electric blankets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have a 2020 Teryx4 and I just simply dont understand the frustration with the teryx where heat is an issue with some..I have put over 200 miles on in a day and roughly 400 miles in a weekend trip...heat was never an issue for me personaly. The Vtwin like everyone said is louder that what you would get in the x4/x2 but i was in your same boat for a long while until we drove both and sat in both. What sold me on the t4 is the ability to have 4 passengers and still be able to carry cargo in the bed, and the people in the rear are as comfortable as myself going down the trails. My father is 6'5 and can comfortably sit in the rear with no problems at all..my Mother in law is a larger woman and even she can transfer in and out with ease. If this is any similar situation to anyone will be faced with.... I would shy away from the wolverine for this fact, the entry/exit in the wolverine is lacking and if we would have went with the X4 route..my mother in law or father would not have been able to go on family rides with us...perspective im 6'0" 232 and i had a very hard time with the stupid shoulder boulsters that they use and for the life of me have no idea how it passed there QC/RND department... When it comes to the power range..the teryx just does not compete in a linear straight up drag race, however the low end power of the Vtwin stays neck and neck on the trails and i have yet to have a pioneer or a wolverine pull away from me in the woods/hills.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's probably just a difference in the geography we have available to ride. 200 miles in a day? If I were running that hard all the time I can see where the heat would have a hard time keeping up with me. We tend to toodle. "Toodle" is my wife's term, not mine, and it roughly translates to "a cruising speed of 12-18mph with frequent stops for beverages and socialization." The problem with toodling in the heat is you can't get away from the heat... I guess 200 miles would be doable for us in our little neck of the woods but my tail would be tired.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts