Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
When it gets below 40 my teryx will not start. It just makes a click click click click sound that seems to be coming from the dash area. I think that is where the starter solenoid is located? It is not the battery, it does the same thing even when jumping it. But as soon as it gets to 40 it will turn right over and fire up. Yesterday I tried a hair dryer in a couple different places up under the dash but no luck. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Administrator
Christ is King
Did you try bypassing the solenoid and putting power directly to the starter?

Discussion Starter #3
No sure haven't. Not exactly sure how. I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic lol.

Administrator
Christ is King
Well before you try that, are you sure it鈥檚 not the battery? The below 40 temp has me thinking. Even if it has good voltage, it could have a dead cell. That鈥檒l keep it from starting, especially at lower temps.

Discussion Starter #5
Even when jumping it? I just replaced the battery last year because it was doing the same thing.

Administrator
Christ is King
Probably not the battery if you recently replaced it. Do you have a multimeter to check voltage?

Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
Sounds like loose battery terminals or junk battery. Get the battery load tested if you can.

So when it was doing the same thing last year did replacing the battery solve the problem?

Discussion Starter #8
If i remember correctly, temporarily. Plowing did a number on that battery. I charge this one over night and still nothing.

Administrator
Christ is King
If it ends up not being the battery, here are a couple screenshots from the service manual for troubleshooting the starter system:
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 9.33.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 9.35.12 AM.png

Administrator
Christ is King
No problem! If you have a multimeter, you should be able to test the relay/solenoid for continuity. Says it should read 0 ohms with the battery connected.

Registered
Even when jumping it? I just replaced the battery last year because it was doing the same thing.

I moved to new hampshire and it gets cold and I have a 60鈥 plow on mine my 2019 clicks when it is cold also... I couldn鈥檛 figure it out..... it ended up being the battery the dealership said the cold weather and plowing does a number on the small battery鈥檚 and recommended i and a secondary battery on my teryx4 just thought you should know

Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
In my rzr the battery would die down all the time while winching. Battery light would flicker, winch would die out. I ended up tossing the little battery and robbing a battery from one of my diesel trucks. Bolted it in the box and its been fine for over 5 years. Sits outside all winter and starts up fine in spring.

I just mounted a big car battery under the drivers seat in my Teryx before I start having the same problem. Most guys seem to use an isolator but I just tied them both together. I'm lazy, cheap and figure I'll try it without one.

Registered
In my rzr the battery would die down all the time while winching. Battery light would flicker, winch would die out. I ended up tossing the little battery and robbing a battery from one of my diesel trucks. Bolted it in the box and its been fine for over 5 years. Sits outside all winter and starts up fine in spring.

I just mounted a big car battery under the drivers seat in my Teryx before I start having the same problem. Most guys seem to use an isolator but I just tied them both together. I'm lazy, cheap and figure I'll try it without one.
Hell yeah the dealer wanted a fortune to add another battery for mine I鈥檓 cheap and just need to find time to put a big battery one mine

Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
I'll some pics somewhere on here of how I mounted mine. It's kinda ghetto but seems sturdy enough.

Reactions: mrwvsportsman

Discussion Starter #16
If the battery is the problem on mine, wouldn't it start by jumping it?

Discussion Starter #18
If you leave the cables on long enough yes it should but it may take awhile cold weather on those little battery鈥檚 do a number on them
I really want to get an Optima yellow top but i hate to spend that much and not fix it

Discussion Starter #20
So I can only find the 1 wire coming into the starter and then this little nub on the other side. It's not a screw. But I tried jumping between them and nothing. Is this the right spot? Sorry for the ignorance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts