Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Jumped straight to the battery. Nothing but a bunch of sparks at the battery when I hooked up the cable to the battery. I guess my starter is bad.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
374 Posts
The starter on these only has one wire going to it from the starter solenoid that is located up near the top of the dash on the drivers side I believe.
I'd either jump the solenoid or pull the starter and bench test it.

If the starter is good,battery cables are tight and clean, battery is charged and tested good, solenoid is good with tight connections(and clicks when you turn key to start), all ground wires are tight and clean and it still doesn't crank over then either recheck everything again or pull the clutch cover and try to spin it over by hand.

How long did you hold the key in the start position when it wasn't cranking over?

·
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
3-5 seconds. I did hold it for several seconds once until the check engine light came on. Shut key off and back on and light went out. Just click click click coming from sounded like the relay under the dash. I was trying to just straight to the starter to isolate the relay and rule out one or the other. It will hopefully get up to 40 degrees this week so I can atleast get it started and run it a little bit. Really has me baffled, cause I'm not mechanically inclined anyway. Thanks for the tips.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
374 Posts
I'm pretty shitty at explaining anything, especially through a keyboard. My only last suggestion is to make sure the battery is charged up good or hook up cables again and try tapping on the starter (not hard enough to smash it to pieces) while someone try's starting it with the key. If not pull the starter and test it, or open it up and see if the brushes are burnt out of it. I haven't pulled a starter out of these things but by your pic it looks like it might have a bolt or two on that flat flange at the end holding it in place then it probably slides out of the case?
I saw a thread the other day with someone else was that was having problems getting theirs to crank over (after loaning it out), maybe they'l chime in? I believe he pulled his starter out and found the engine was locked.

Reactions: mrwvsportsman

·
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm pretty shitty at explaining anything, especially through a keyboard. My only last suggestion is to make sure the battery is charged up good or hook up cables again and try tapping on the starter (not hard enough to smash it to pieces) while someone try's starting it with the key. If not pull the starter and test it, or open it up and see if the brushes are burnt out of it. I haven't pulled a starter out of these things but by your pic it looks like it might have a bolt or two on that flat flange at the end holding it in place then it probably slides out of the case?
I saw a thread the other day with someone else was that was having problems getting theirs to crank over (after loaning it out), maybe they'l chime in? I believe he pulled his starter out and found the engine was locked.
Is there an easy way to bench test the starter without tearing it apart. I found the instrucstions for testing the brushes and stuff in the manual. But at $45 for a new one on ebay, to me it's not worth tearing apart. Cause IDK that I would get it put back together right lol.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
374 Posts
When I bench test starters with separate (like on old fords) solenoids I hookup the power wire first then ground the case. Basically I do the opposite of this guy. how to test atv starter - Google Search

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
374 Posts
When I bench test starters with separate (like on old fords) solenoids I hookup the power wire first then ground the case. Basically I do the opposite of this guy. how to test atv starter - Google Search
Is there an easy way to bench test the starter without tearing it apart. I found the instrucstions for testing the brushes and stuff in the manual. But at $45 for a new one on ebay, to me it's not worth tearing apart. Cause IDK that I would get it put back together right lol.

And yeah, I wouldn't bother rebuilding it but would make sure that's the problem before replacing parts.

Reactions: mrwvsportsman

·
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for all your help man. It's definitely the starter. Sparks at the battery and at the starter post but nothing out of the starter. I appreciate it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts