Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Would I need clutch mod or new clutch if running 27” tires vs stock 26” tires?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  6.2Blazer 
#1 ·
I replaced stock belt in my 2012 teryx4 a few months ago with a Dayco XTX, just preventative. After only about 10 hours use the new belt totally shredded. i recently put a 2” lift and 27” tires on it. Would that be enough to cause the belt to overheat Without adjusting the clutch? Or maybe Dayco is just a crappy brand? I just ordered a stock belt and hope it will be ok with my new setup. thanks Guys.

#2 ·
I don't have any experience with the older Teryx models, but I know that the newer LE models come stock with 27's so that shouldn't be an issue. I also know that when I was researching to buy my spare belt, everyone I talked to says to only run the OEM Kawasaki belt. So, it could be an issue with the aftermarket belt but I feel like even the crappiest belt should run more than 10 hours?

#5 ·
So it sounds like the OP had not existing belt issues and only put a new one for preventative purposes. The new belt then blows out after only 10 hours. This is obviously not an existing condition because there were no issues before putting a new belt on, and therefore the VForce John post has nothing to do with the problem posted by the OP. 99% of the time if the machine is running with no issues, then somebody works on it and/or replaces parts, and a problem starts right after they put it together......the issue has to do with what they just did and not some existing problem. In this case there is a 99% chance it was a bad belt or they did something wrong during the installation, and it's not because of some condition that existed before the belt was replaced...........

#7 ·
Some people are going to tell you need to redo the clutch, BS. My 2020 Teryx LE has had clutch issues from day one with 2 mile on it I have had to pay for all clutch and belt replacements. I installed 30X10R14 front and rear I never installed the 2 inch lift that Kawasaki says it rubs when going thru areas when one tire is off the ground. Back to clutch mine is ton's better with taller tires and having the same front and rear makes it a better machine.

#8 ·
I appreciate feedback of all. The logic of 6.2Blazer is sound....there were no issues before, now there are. Something changed caused the problem. Changes were: a) 1" bigger tires, b) 2" lift kit, and c) replaced the OEM belt with Dayco (long story, but I bought it as a spare while in Hatfield and that was all the shop carried), d) replaced stock axles with Rhino's. All changes were made relatively close together with the belt being replaced first. I highly doubt the tires, lift kit or axle change would cause excessive wear/heat on a belt. I did absolutely nothing to the clutch. Belt installation is very straightforward and I don't know how I could have screwed that up. For now I am having to conclude that the Dayco belt is complete crap and I will put a new OEM back on and hope for the best.

#10 ·
I would make sure you actually got the correct belt. For a 2012 the T2 and T4 used different belts, than the '14-'15 models had another belt change, and there was another change in '16. Since the OP has a '12 model year which used two different belts depending on which model I could definitely see that happening.

#9 ·
Make sure you have cleaned your sheaves (rubbing alcohol and scotch brite pads (NO BRAKE CLEANER!)), use an OEM belt, and make sure your belt deflection is at the tight end of scale. Early Teryx’s/T2’s were known to have the CVT belt deflection set to loose, even from the factory. There are video’s on YouTube showing the procedure if you don’t have the deflection tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.