Winch hook stop - Kawasaki Teryx Forum
Winch and Recovery For discussion of winches and general recovery.

 3Likes
  • 1 Post By drpalo
  • 1 Post By drpalo
  • 1 Post By 6.2Blazer
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
 
drpalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 70
Winch hook stop

Came across this a few years ago. Use a Kong dog toy (small) as a winch hook stop to protect your fairlead. It's softer than the plastic puck stops so there's some forgiveness if you winch in a little too tight. Plus, being a Kong product, they are tough. They get chewed up by the hook, rope, rocks, etc & last forever. Already has the hole through it. This is the third machine I've put one on & I won't use anything else. $5 on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kong.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	47082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	638.0 KB
ID:	47090  
AlphaPlex20 likes this.

2017 Teryx4 base model turned beast model

2.5" Highlifter lift kit
28x10 Super atv Intimidator tires on 14x7 MSA Vibe wheels
Brute Performance LED headlights with Auxbeam LED spotlights front & rear
Boss reflex 46 overhead stereo mounted under a ghetto roof
Superwinch 4,500lb winch
drpalo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:46 AM
 
BKDAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 17
I have a KFI winch stop on mine but it cost twice as much and isn't near a cool as a Kong toy. Love it!
BKDAR is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 PM
 
VirginiaHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Near Fredericksburg Virginia
Posts: 647
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKDAR View Post
I have a KFI winch stop on mine but it cost twice as much and isn't near a cool as a Kong toy. Love it!
I have the KFI stop on mine as well, but it only cost me $7.99 on eBay

2016 T2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan 1500
VirginiaHawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:41 PM
 
Barefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,134
Iím ordering me a kong ball just for the heck of it to see what itís like!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barefoot is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
 
drpalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Iím ordering me a kong ball just for the heck of it to see what itís like!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't like it, you can give it to a dog & make their day!
AlphaPlex20 likes this.

2017 Teryx4 base model turned beast model

2.5" Highlifter lift kit
28x10 Super atv Intimidator tires on 14x7 MSA Vibe wheels
Brute Performance LED headlights with Auxbeam LED spotlights front & rear
Boss reflex 46 overhead stereo mounted under a ghetto roof
Superwinch 4,500lb winch
drpalo is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 AM
 
Sledfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Using a lacrosse ball on mine. Drilled a 3/8 hole through it. $1.79
Sledfoot is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summer way up north winter North of Barrie ON
Posts: 131
Garage
What if stuck nose down in mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpalo View Post
Came across this a few years ago. Use a Kong dog toy (small) as a winch hook stop to protect your fairlead. It's softer than the plastic puck stops so there's some forgiveness if you winch in a little too tight. Plus, being a Kong product, they are tough. They get chewed up by the hook, rope, rocks, etc & last forever. Already has the hole through it. This is the third machine I've put one on & I won't use anything else. $5 on Amazon.
I think any of these stops are useless. There is a good chance that you are nose down in mud when stuck. Who wants to dive into the quagmire to retrieve the hook? In my book all my atv's and Teryx have the first 2 feet of cable covered and the hook fastened as high up as possible so you can reach it when stuck without fuss and need to mud dive, think it over

ITS BETTER DO DO NOTHING AND MAKE NO MONEY THEN BUSTING YOUR ASS AND MAKE NO MONEY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wolf is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:40 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I think any of these stops are useless. There is a good chance that you are nose down in mud when stuck. Who wants to dive into the quagmire to retrieve the hook? In my book all my atv's and Teryx have the first 2 feet of cable covered and the hook fastened as high up as possible so you can reach it when stuck without fuss and need to mud dive, think it over
I will say that is not a bad idea. If I know if I'm going into mudhole and may need the winch I will reel some out and have it laying back in the cockpit to avoid crawling into the mud to get this. Of course I also made a winch mount that sits higher up in the front so it's unlikely it will be buried in the mud or snow when you need it.
Wolf likes this.
6.2Blazer is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:18 AM
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summer way up north winter North of Barrie ON
Posts: 131
Garage
here is my teryx winch tail set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2Blazer View Post
I will say that is not a bad idea. If I know if I'm going into mudhole and may need the winch I will reel some out and have it laying back in the cockpit to avoid crawling into the mud to get this. Of course I also made a winch mount that sits higher up in the front so it's unlikely it will be buried in the mud or snow when you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2091 june 20 IMG_0462[1].jpg
Views:	16
Size:	710.7 KB
ID:	52933  

ITS BETTER DO DO NOTHING AND MAKE NO MONEY THEN BUSTING YOUR ASS AND MAKE NO MONEY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wolf is offline  
Reply

Tags
hook , kong , stop , winch

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Teryx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome